iPod wall charger vs. USB charger - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 40,834
iPod wall charger vs. USB charger

My son's iPod Touch appeared dead because it couldn't be charged using the USB charger. An older model was charging on the same cable. As a last resort, I bought a wall charger and the iPod responded immediately. Is this typical when batteries are drained to the sub-basement, or does it indicate a problem with the iPod?
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,076
iPods can only charge via USB.

Do you mean it won't charge when connected to the computer? If that's the case, then yes - it's normal. If the battery is completely drained, it will take quite a bit longer to revive when charging from a computer vs a wall adapter.
John Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 40,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
iPods can only charge via USB.

Do you mean it won't charge when connected to the computer? If that's the case, then yes - it's normal. If the battery is completely drained, it will take quite a bit longer to revive when charging from a computer vs a wall adapter.
The iPod didn't respond after 16 hours on one of the USB ports of my MacPro, while another iPod responded properly. I bought a wall charger with a USB adapter and that was the device that woke up the sleeping iPod immediately.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
The iPod didn't respond after 16 hours on one of the USB ports of my MacPro, while another iPod responded properly. I bought a wall charger with a USB adapter and that was the device that woke up the sleeping iPod immediately.
It's possible that the computer didn't provide enough juice to wake up the charging circuit on a dead battery. I haven't seen it happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.
John Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 13,675
There's a good chance that the wall charger with a USB adapter provides a lot more output that the Mac's USB port, and yes I have witnessed that such chargers will work when the Mac's USB port doesn't, and especially when the batteries are almost dead, but that wasn't with an iPod but they probably work about the same way.

But hopefully better than an automatic 12V charger that wouldn't charge a deader than dead 12V battery on our boat that a malfunctioning automatic bilge pump didn't switch off and drained the battery completely. Then I had to use another 12V battery to "jump start" the auto charger. Stupid design for a battery charger and it wasn't a cheapie either!!
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 40,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
But hopefully better than an automatic 12V charger that wouldn't charge a deader than dead 12V battery on our boat that a malfunctioning automatic bilge pump didn't switch off and drained the battery completely. Then I had to use another 12V battery to "jump start" the auto charger. Stupid design for a battery charger and it wasn't a cheapie either!!
Ouch!
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 13,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
Ouch!
Yup, stupid battery charger design, but at least our boat has dual batteries and a battery isolator switch that had been set for battery selection properly.

Not quite as easy for my wife's car that had its lights left on last year = dead battery and the auto charger wouldn't do anything and I didn't have a spare good battery to use, but the good news was, with the drain cause turned off and left for an hour or more, the dead battery got enough surface charge voltage to ket the charger know it was finally available to charge.

Why don't cars come with some sort of low voltage auto battery disconnect so that at least some starting current is left available for such situations?
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Yup, stupid battery charger design, but at least our boat has dual batteries and a battery isolator switch that had been set for battery selection properly.

Not quite as easy for my wife's car that had its lights left on last year = dead battery and the auto charger wouldn't do anything and I didn't have a spare good battery to use, but the good news was, with the drain cause turned off and left for an hour or more, the dead battery got enough surface charge voltage to ket the charger know it was finally available to charge.

Why don't cars come with some sort of low voltage auto battery disconnect so that at least some starting current is left available for such situations?
With all the onboard computers providing a very slight continual drain I suspect anyone going out to start a car that had not been started for several months might also find a dead battery.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Bald by choice
 
jamesB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The big island west of Vancouver
Posts: 9,055
I've got an old UPS that won't take a charge, maybe I could work that into Macfury's USB thread also?
__________________
"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a man nailed to two pieces of wood"
-George Carlin
jamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesB View Post
I've got an old UPS that won't take a charge, maybe I could work that into Macfury's USB thread also?
Good idea. For MF it is clearly a goes around coming around.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cable, charger, ipod, usb

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!