White Macbook (4.1) sluggishness when browsing - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 76
2008 White Macbook (4.1) sluggishness when browsing

I have a 2008 white macbook (4.1) that is extremely sluggish when browsing. I use firefox.
- applecare has expired
- RAM upgrade to 4G (2G x 2)
- hard drive has been upgrade to 500G

I've read about reinstalling the OS(?), but have misplaced my discs.

Any other options?

Also, any idea when the new mabooks will be released?
skanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,336
what happens when you use safari or chrome?

the macbook line has been discontinued for about a year now. there most likely won't be new ones.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
what happens when you use safari or chrome?

the macbook line has been discontinued for about a year now. there most likely won't be new ones.
Same thing...slow loading of webpages. Although haven't tried chrome. Will try dling chrome tonight.

Yeah, i know the macbook line is gone. A better question should have been the macbook pro/air refresh? In the coming months likely? or not until next year?
skanji is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,336
is this the only computer on your network? are you connected via ethernet or wirelessly? what happens when you switch connection types (try wired if wireless etc)?

have you tried resetting your modem & router? what are your numbers if you go to speediest.net?
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
is this the only computer on your network? are you connected via ethernet or wirelessly? what happens when you switch connection types (try wired if wireless etc)?

have you tried resetting your modem & router? what are your numbers if you go to speediest.net?
I have a few computers on my network including one desktop that remains fairly stagnant, except for torrents (and i know when that is on - ie doesn't account for macbook lag). Our 2 iphones, and another PC laptop is also on it, all of which work fine.

Haven't tried connecting ethernet to see difference. Will also try that tonight.

Haven't gone to speediest.net - will try that tonight and report back.

Actually, probably be Tuesday when I'm home in town!

Thanks for your help.
skanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Imagine
 
sateach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chatham-Kent
Posts: 70
My white MB(4,1), 2.4GHz, 2G ram, 160G hd, running OSx 10.6.8 is also experiencing the same sluggishness when I surf. Sometimes, the spinning beachball appears, at other times, it doesn't.

I've deleted the cookies, rebooted the computer, reset Safari, updated Flash.... all to no avail. The hd is just over 50% full and I don't do any gaming that requires a lot of memory. Mostly, I surf, email, stream videos (Youtube, etc..), use the Macbook as my jukebox and use iPhoto, iMovie (occasionally).

Is it just old age? From the original post, it seems that upgrading ram and hd size will not help.

Any suggestions? (I'm not ready to shell out $ for a new(er) one)
sateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 86,922
Send a message via AIM to SINC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sateach View Post
Any suggestions? (I'm not ready to shell out $ for a new(er) one)
I note that you do not mention running OnyX on your machine. I run it every few weeks to keep mine in tune. Download the proper version of OnyX for your OS here:

Titanium's Software Download

Launch it and allow it to run the two disk checks that open automatically when the app launches, the select "Automation" with the small green hammer icon and run the default set of checks. It will very likely improve the performance of your laptop.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 3.1 million folks have.)
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sateach View Post
My white MB(4,1), 2.4GHz, 2G ram, 160G hd, running OSx 10.6.8 is also experiencing the same sluggishness when I surf. Sometimes, the spinning beachball appears, at other times, it doesn't.

I've deleted the cookies, rebooted the computer, reset Safari, updated Flash.... all to no avail. The hd is just over 50% full and I don't do any gaming that requires a lot of memory. Mostly, I surf, email, stream videos (Youtube, etc..), use the Macbook as my jukebox and use iPhoto, iMovie (occasionally).

Is it just old age? From the original post, it seems that upgrading ram and hd size will not help.

Any suggestions? (I'm not ready to shell out $ for a new(er) one)
'

is the sluggishness *only* when you're on the web? are you backed up?

what happens if you follow the above advice and try a different browser? chrome/firefox/camino etc?
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Imagine
 
sateach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chatham-Kent
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
'

is the sluggishness *only* when you're on the web? are you backed up?

what happens if you follow the above advice and try a different browser? chrome/firefox/camino etc?
I've also tried Firefox (v. 11.0) and find that even when typing a search (in Google for example), the typed characters appear one at a time or a coupe at a time instead of instantaneously.
sateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Imagine
 
sateach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chatham-Kent
Posts: 70
[QUOTE=SINC;1193155]I note that you do not mention running OnyX on your machine. I run it every few weeks to keep mine in tune. Download the proper version of OnyX for your OS here:

SINC, I've not used Onyx and am unsure as to what it does exactly.

Thanks in advance
sateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Check: White MacBook 13" (Early 2008) The Great Waka Classifieds 1 Sep 21st, 2010 06:18 AM
Macbook Logic Board question (white and black) psyanyde Anything Mac 2 Aug 9th, 2010 11:46 PM
For Sale White MacBook (Early 2008) 13.3" eshm.assist Mac Portables 0 Jan 28th, 2010 12:49 AM
White marks on UNIBODY macbook frnak Anything Mac 12 Jan 18th, 2010 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!