Safari 5.03 and 'slow' links! - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
imobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 865
Safari 5.03 and 'slow' links!

My Safari 5.03 opens AND loads very quickly when click on links in Bookmark Bar, Bookmarks and or Bookmark Folders!

However, if I click on links on My Yahoo, where I have assembled on one page many links which have worked flawlessly in the past, the page takes between 60-90 seconds to load!

I have same set up on Firefox. Not an issue!
If log into Yahoo on say Chrome, or Sea Monkey for example...no problems.

Only on Safari!

Am I alone having this link problem?


I have a fast Core i7 iMac and Extreme Speed ( as Shaw call
s it ) cable connection so the problem is not the computer nor the internet speed!
__________________
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by imobile; Dec 10th, 2010 at 02:59 AM.
imobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Full Citizen
 
imobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 865
I still have problem of Safari opening links ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobile View Post
My Safari 5.03 opens AND loads very quickly when click on links in Bookmark Bar, Bookmarks and or Bookmark Folders!

However, if I click on links on My Yahoo, where I have assembled on one page many links which have worked flawlessly in the past, the page takes between 60-90 seconds to load!

I have same set up on Firefox. Not an issue!
If log into Yahoo on say Chrome, or Sea Monkey for example...no problems.

Only on Safari!

Am I alone having this link problem?


I have a fast Core i7 iMac and Extreme Speed ( as Shaw call
s it ) cable connection so the problem is not the computer nor the internet speed!

Have done all I can think of... dumped Safai, all of files related to in User/Library .... reinstalled fresh copy BUT it still won't open
this if copy it in Camino and paster it in Safari
http://www.ehmac.ca/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1038974

Took nearly three minutes for this page to come up ( see pic) whilst opened immediately in Firefox!

Another example...
Click on Macupdate in Bookmark Bar...
it loads 12/13 items and then sits for at least three minutes before loading page!

Other sites like Twitter, Facebook, Enviro Canada load instantly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imac's Selection3489.jpg (130.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Imac's Selection3490.jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)
__________________
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Albert Einstein
imobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
mrjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,475
I dumped Safari awhile ago (v. 5) for similar reasons.

Firefox all the way and loving it!
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Full Citizen
 
imobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 865
Yes but why does Safari act that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmy View Post
I dumped Safari awhile ago (v. 5) for similar reasons.

Firefox all the way and loving it!
Thanks :-)
Yes, seems you are not alone there!
I read of people on here describing Safari as a "bag of hurt' (a la Steve and Blu-ray) but never really had issue until last two versions!


And I've tried Firefox, Opera, Camino, Chrome, Sea Monkey etc.
Have them all on the iMac ( nice thing having 2TB drive, 8 Gigs of ram)

Still prefer ( or used to ?) Safari but will admit that Camino, little sis of Firefox , is lean and fast! (And is easy to use old Safari bookmarks)

Wonder why Chrome, like Safari based on 'WebKit', does seem to hang like Safari.
And of course, Apple does not have previous versions of Safari available as a download.

Apologies , this is getting like a 'blog of hurts'


Oops.. and Mobile Me factor ..
Another reason I WANT Safari to work ..I use Mobile Me .it synchs Safari bookmarks to my laptop (MBP) and iPhone. And that is very very convenient!

Mobile Me does not however allow one to synch with alternate browser .
..


Amf there is always this loading message.... can't load whatever last file is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imac's Selection3500.jpg (13.1 KB, 60 views)
__________________
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by imobile; Jan 7th, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Adding comment re Mobile Me
imobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Lifetime membership
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,265
I'm still reluctant to upgrade to 5.0.3,
I did on another boot drive and it was slow for most online games,
Jittery even for most Java based games.

I think I'll wait for 5.0.4 before updating.
__________________
Signature deleted for obvious reasons
---------------------------------
MacMagic Game Forum
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Full Citizen
 
imobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 865
Well I 'fixed' my Safari 5.03 on ONE computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolawren View Post
I'm still reluctant to upgrade to 5.0.3,
I did on another boot drive and it was slow for most online games,
Jittery even for most Java based games.

I think I'll wait for 5.0.4 before updating.

At least on the IMac.
I went onto the Apple support page
Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari hangs ~ Is Safari 5.0.3 a 'bag ...
and 'googled' other boards ...such as
Solution to Safari not loading pages completely - HinesSight .

I cleaned up my System Preferences/Network/Advanced/DNS and eliminated extra DNS #'s.... used just the Open DNS ones.
That plus clearing out all files I could find associated with Safari ( except my bookmarks and passwords) ..used AppCleaner plus manual search ( eg : user/ library/syndication, user/library/safari)..dumped em all and did fresh install of Safari...

Viola..my IMac screams in Safari now ..as fast as Chrome, Camino, Opera etc!
Right now have about six Safari windows open.... no hangups on Twitter, Facebook, NY Times etc...

HOWEVER...
And this really confuses me...

I did same on my Jan 2009 MBP and it hangs on say Macupdate. Or links to New York Times. No probs on say BBC, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter... really weird!

So I report, 50 % success rate... but as I use the IMac 80% of time, I can live with problem.
I do enjoy sending a bug report to Apple from Safari EVERY TIME it hangs.

Reason I stick with Safari is I use Mobile Me... handy have same bookmarks on other iPhone and MBP!
__________________
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Albert Einstein
imobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Lifetime membership
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,265
I do like 5.0.2 the way it is though,
The Mac App store works fine with it.

I do have "Open DNS" and I realize that there is a bug,
But I'll wait until it progresses to 5.0.4 to see if Apple fixes it.

I could change the DNS address, But I'm fine at 5.0.2,
It works really fast with Facebook Java games at the moment.

Also my "Pogo" games are fast with 5.0.2
__________________
Signature deleted for obvious reasons
---------------------------------
MacMagic Game Forum
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Lifetime membership
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,265
Upgraded to 5.0.3, But I also upgraded Flash to 10.1 and it works much better now.
__________________
Signature deleted for obvious reasons
---------------------------------
MacMagic Game Forum
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Imagine
 
sateach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chatham-Kent
Posts: 70
I too had a similar problem with Safari loading partial pages and hanging for a seconds. Advice from a different thread: I downloaded 'Click to Flash' extension for Safari and all is well. My wife complains that some of her web-based 'games' don't run. C'est la vie!
sateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Full Citizen
 
imobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 865
Safari STILL hanging on number of sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobile View Post
At least on the IMac.
I went onto the Apple support page
Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari hangs ~ Is Safari 5.0.3 a 'bag ...
and 'googled' other boards ...such as
Solution to Safari not loading pages completely - HinesSight .

I cleaned up my System Preferences/Network/Advanced/DNS and eliminated extra DNS #'s.... used just the Open DNS ones.
That plus clearing out all files I could find associated with Safari ( except my bookmarks and passwords) ..used AppCleaner plus manual search ( eg : user/ library/syndication, user/library/safari)..dumped em all and did fresh install of Safari...

Viola..my IMac screams in Safari now ..as fast as Chrome, Camino, Opera etc!
Right now have about six Safari windows open.... no hangups on Twitter, Facebook, NY Times etc...

HOWEVER...
And this really confuses me...

I did same on my Jan 2009 MBP and it hangs on say Macupdate. Or links to New York Times. No probs on say BBC, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter... really weird!

So I report, 50 % success rate... but as I use the IMac 80% of time, I can live with problem.
I do enjoy sending a bug report to Apple from Safari EVERY TIME it hangs.

Reason I stick with Safari is I use Mobile Me... handy have same bookmarks on other iPhone and MBP!
Here we are nearly a year later and Safari is still frustrating... click on CBC link
5 arrests in alleged Mafia boss's slaying - Montreal - CBC News
and it takes
34 seconds to load in latest Safari ( INSTANT.. in Chrome, Camino, Sea Monkey, Firefox 9 )
Interestingjy took 35 seconds in Opera . ( What do Opera.Safari have in common??)
( Used Chronolite on iPhone to time!)

5 arrests in alleged Mafia boss's slaying - Montreal - CBC News
__________________
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Albert Einstein

Last edited by imobile; Dec 20th, 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added comment re Opera matching Safari's SLOWNESS!
imobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed 4Gb Ram in MBP now safari is slow bmovie Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 6 Oct 17th, 2008 11:14 AM
Safari is getting ridiculously slow!! kloan Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 7 Sep 16th, 2008 07:00 PM
Safari painfully slow MacAndy Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 4 Mar 2nd, 2006 09:48 AM
Safari Brutally Slow on Powerbook andrewenterprise Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 14 Aug 14th, 2005 10:18 PM
Safari vs. ehMac = slow mycatsnameis Info Centre 2 Jan 12th, 2005 04:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!