The Canadian Political Thread - Page 515 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #5141
kps
Tritium Glow
 
kps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North of the Mullet Line
Posts: 7,141
LOL, Mulcair...another citizen of France that wants to run Canada.

Just another piggie at the trough promising transparency. Maybe he can be transparent enough and tell all of Canada how he really felt about Jack Layton instead of the lies him and Olivia are spouting.
__________________
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5142
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
LOL, Mulcair...another citizen of France that wants to run Canada.

Just another piggie at the trough promising transparency. Maybe he can be transparent enough and tell all of Canada how he really felt about Jack Layton instead of the lies him and Olivia are spouting.
I know a number of people who have and treasure dual citizenship. However if one wishes to run for parliament or even a provincial legislature, they should have to renounce all other citizenships. Matters not if that other card is US, Israel, France or Iran. If their loyalty to Canada is in any way compromised then they should not be sitting in Parliament or a Provincial Legislature.

Calgary's Diane Ablonzy claims to have renounced here US citizenship but I do wonder if she just took an oath before Parliament or if she really did the reams of paperwork that goes with telling the US State Department to shove it.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Social Distancing is an Oxymoron. The correct term is Social Demonization or Social Repression
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5143
Honourable Citizen
 
BigDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moncton
Posts: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMacMan View Post
Hate to point out the obvious but it is a solid majority. Sadly that means a few more years of corporations and power interests pushing bills like C-11 and C-30.

Sadly it probably also means Canada will not tell the US where to shove FATCA. Meaning an end to Canadian sovereignty. NOTE: The big five Canadian Banks have so little faith in this government standing up to the US on FACTA that they are now hiring people to try to figure out how best to "comply".

Also suspect we will see a big time drain on taxpayer dollars as Canada gets sucked into an invasion of Iran, probably followed by Pakistan. When that happens you can kiss the promised balanced budget goodbye.
Well I am taking the long view. 8 years of Brian Mulroney did not kill Canada as we know it. 3 and a half more years of the present government, we shall have to wait and see, but I do remain optimistic for our nation coming out of this dark period in our history intact.
__________________
OGL breathed life back into the dying Bloc...way to go Steve!

Ad links aka CLICK BATE in my posts were not put there by me.

DO NOT CLICK on the random links in my post if not logged in as a member of this site.
BigDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #5144
Canadian By Choice
 
Dr.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 114,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMacMan View Post
I know a number of people who have and treasure dual citizenship. However if one wishes to run for parliament or even a provincial legislature, they should have to renounce all other citizenships. Matters not if that other card is US, Israel, France or Iran. If their loyalty to Canada is in any way compromised then they should not be sitting in Parliament or a Provincial Legislature.

Calgary's Diane Ablonzy claims to have renounced here US citizenship but I do wonder if she just took an oath before Parliament or if she really did the reams of paperwork that goes with telling the US State Department to shove it.
Yes, and anyone elected in the US to a federal position has to have only US citizenship as well. My problem would be having to swear an oath to the Queen and all her heirs in order to hold a federal position in Parliament.
__________________
Dr.G.
14" G4 iBook
15" MacBook Pro (July, 2009)
13" MacBooK Pro with Retina Display
Paix
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read these books." Mark Twain
Dr.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5145
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
Well I am taking the long view. 8 years of Brian Mulroney did not kill Canada as we know it. 3 and a half more years of the present government, we shall have to wait and see, but I do remain optimistic for our nation coming out of this dark period in our history intact.
The federal framework will have drastically changed, so it could take generations to re-make the mischief wrought by previous governments.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5146
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen
 
MacDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Planet Earth.....on FASTER boil :-(
Posts: 30,834
snip

Quote:
But omnibus bills are red flags. They show contempt for the opposition, within Parliament and without. Sometimes the opposition lashes back in the most creative ways.

If the Tories don’t watch themselves, the House of Commons could end up smelling like rotten fish.
Good article

Tread carefully, Tories: Governments can live to regret omnibus bills - The Globe and Mail



__________________
In Australia and the web site is out of date.
Lots of good deals on Retinas, previous high end MacPros and current MacPro 6 core bundles in stock. [email protected]
MacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5147
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,559
you know when conservative columnists like John Ibbitson & Andrew Coyne are calling out the Harper government for abusing their power by ramming through omnibus bills that something is dangerously wrong with this government.
i-rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5148
Canadian By Choice
 
Dr.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 114,395
Due to Ottawa's recent closing of the Maritime Rescue Sub-Centre in St. John’s, according to CBC News , radio calls for medical help from ships needing to speak with a doctor while in Newfoundland and Labrador waters are now being routed to CIRM, a free service in Rome. Until last week, such radio calls from Newfoundland and Labrador waters for medical assistance were funnelled to a Halifax-based company, Praxes Medical Group.

Similar distress calls in Nova Scotia waters are handled by the Queen Elizabeth II hospital in Halifax.
__________________
Dr.G.
14" G4 iBook
15" MacBook Pro (July, 2009)
13" MacBooK Pro with Retina Display
Paix
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read these books." Mark Twain
Dr.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5149
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G. View Post
Due to Ottawa's recent closing of the Maritime Rescue Sub-Centre in St. John’s, according to CBC News , radio calls for medical help from ships needing to speak with a doctor while in Newfoundland and Labrador waters are now being routed to CIRM, a free service in Rome. Until last week, such radio calls from Newfoundland and Labrador waters for medical assistance were funnelled to a Halifax-based company, Praxes Medical Group.

Similar distress calls in Nova Scotia waters are handled by the Queen Elizabeth II hospital in Halifax.
In situations such as these a link to the source is much appreciated Dr. G.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5150
Resident Hijacker
 
Sonal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto, and proud of it.
Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
In situations such as these a link to the source is much appreciated Dr. G.
N.L. marine medical calls now routed to Italy - Nfld. & Labrador - CBC News
__________________
Interested in creative writing?
Sonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canadian political discussion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do people use to watermark pictures? krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 20 Oct 17th, 2010 10:17 PM
This Macbook is my first and last Mac, switching back Pat McCrotch Anything Mac 123 Apr 17th, 2009 10:13 AM
The Mythical Separation of Church and State in the USA zenith Everything Else, eh! 31 May 23rd, 2008 02:40 PM
Harpo's Little Dictator headspace surfaces..... MacDoc Everything Else, eh! 242 Mar 7th, 2008 02:46 PM
Moe Norman - Canadian golf legend MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 11 May 12th, 2005 05:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!