The Canadian Political Thread - Page 501 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5001
Honourable Citizen
 
BigDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moncton
Posts: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-rui View Post
if Harper really wanted to quash the abortion debate he would expel Woodworth from the Conservative caucus for bringing it up. Seems pretty straight forward. After all, he expelled Helena Guergis for no reason whatsoever.

Most likely he doesn't mind the PMM being brought up because :
a) it pleases the extreme right of his supporters
b) it's a distraction and reprieve from the rest of the sh*tstorm that his government has been responsible for since getting their majority.
+1

<RANT>Mr. Mayor I for one would like to see positive feed back in the forums in the form of concurrence button, thumbs up button or the return of the like button +1 is not sufficient<ENDRANT>
__________________
OGL breathed life back into the dying Bloc...way to go Steve!

Ad links aka CLICK BATE in my posts were not put there by me.

DO NOT CLICK on the random links in my post if not logged in as a member of this site.
BigDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5002
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-rui View Post
What if a Conservative MP proposed a PMM or PMB that supported a far left policy? How fast would they be expelled from the party then? Instantly IMO.
This is pure conjecture. Screature has pretty much nailed it. You'd be calling Harper a control freak--or is he only a control freak if he does stuff you don't like?
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #5003
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-rui View Post
Harper & the Conservative party campaigned on not wanting to bring up the abortion debate in the last election. Of course Woodworth has the right to propose whatever PMM he wants, but if Harper and the party wants to keep their campaign promise he shouldn't be doing it as a conservative.

As i pointed out above, the truth is Harper doesn't mind if he does, even if it doesn't mean anything meaningful happens on that front regarding the law in the near future (during the next 3 years) he has thrown that segment of his supporters a bone that they can chew on.

What if a Conservative MP proposed a PMM or PMB that supported a far left policy? How fast would they be expelled from the party then? Instantly IMO.
This is a completely baseless assumption on your part... clearly he does mind if he has stated publicly he will not vote in favour of the motion...

Once again, MPs are free to propose anything they choose in a PMB or PMM... to try and imagine what would would happen if a Conservative MP put forward a far left policy is a moot and quite frankly a rather ridiculous scenario as if that was the case they would not be a MP for the Conservatives now would they so your argument/scenario has no basis in reality.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #5004
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
You'd be calling Harper a control freak--or is he only a control freak if he does stuff you don't like?
Harper is a control freak. it's well documented. Scientists aren't allowed to freely speak to the media. Nuclear watchdogs are fired when they don't follow the Governments orders. The press only getting to ask 5 questions a day during the campaign. An unprecedented record of being a control freak.

The only reason Woodworth is proposing this PMM is because Harper wants him to (or at the very least doesn't mind).
i-rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5005
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-rui View Post
Harper is a control freak. it's well documented. Scientists aren't allowed to freely speak to the media. Nuclear watchdogs are fired when they don't follow the Governments orders. The press only getting to ask 5 questions a day during the campaign. An unprecedented record of being a control freak.

The only reason Woodworth is proposing this PMM is because Harper wants him to (or at the very least doesn't mind).
You are quite simply wrong in your assumptions IMO.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5006
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,572
I recall Liberal MPs who would freely speak out on issues that Chretien stated he didn't support--however, they remained members of the Liberal Party for the immediate future and there were no conspiracy theories that he encouraged them to speak out because he secretly liked it.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #5007
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen
 
MacDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Planet Earth.....on FASTER boil :-(
Posts: 30,834
Thud

Harper&rsquo;s brand hits &lsquo;new low&rsquo; amid robo-call, F-35 scandals: poll - The Globe and Mail

Seems not a few Canadians are disillusioned with Harper....it's about time. Of course close to 60% were in the last election anyways.



__________________
In Australia and the web site is out of date.
Lots of good deals on Retinas, previous high end MacPros and current MacPro 6 core bundles in stock. [email protected]
MacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #5008
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,415
Send a message via AIM to bryanc
I'm probably skirting tinfoil hat territory, but I suspect the abortion issue is a distractor (which happily also curries favour with the socially conservative base) from less obvious stuff... anyone else notice that the latest budget eliminated the CISIS oversight committee?
Combine that with C-30 and we've got a proper little secret police functioning under Harper's control.

{edit to add: Hadn't seen this, but it seems apropos to this train of thought, given that the US is on this same slippery slope.}

Last edited by bryanc; Apr 27th, 2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added cartoon
bryanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5009
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanc View Post
I'm probably skirting tinfoil hat territory, but I suspect the abortion issue is a distractor (which happily also curries favour with the socially conservative base) from less obvious stuff... anyone else notice that the latest budget eliminated the CISIS oversight committee?
Combine that with C-30 and we've got a proper little secret police functioning under Harper's control.
Yes, on the tinfoil.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5010
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanc View Post
I'm probably skirting tinfoil hat territory, but I suspect the abortion issue is a distractor (which happily also curries favour with the socially conservative base) from less obvious stuff... anyone else notice that the latest budget eliminated the CISIS oversight committee?
Combine that with C-30 and we've got a proper little secret police functioning under Harper's control.

{edit to add: Hadn't seen this, but it seems apropos to this train of thought, given that the US is on this same slippery slope.}
I too suspect this is being used as a diversionary tactic. Bills C-11 and C-30 are both crying out for more attention.

OTOH I do doubt that Chopper MacKay is in any danger of going down for the count. Bev Oda is probably considered expendable. A chance for OGL to prove his government will do the responsible thing should the pressure reach extreme levels.

A side thought on Canada's own BO. If the CRA were to find these sort of discrepancies on your or my tax returns, I am pretty sure we would be in for a full blown forensic audit. Perhaps Ms. Oda's entire expense history should be given a similar thorough review.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canadian political discussion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do people use to watermark pictures? krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 20 Oct 17th, 2010 10:17 PM
This Macbook is my first and last Mac, switching back Pat McCrotch Anything Mac 123 Apr 17th, 2009 10:13 AM
The Mythical Separation of Church and State in the USA zenith Everything Else, eh! 31 May 23rd, 2008 02:40 PM
Harpo's Little Dictator headspace surfaces..... MacDoc Everything Else, eh! 242 Mar 7th, 2008 02:46 PM
Moe Norman - Canadian golf legend MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 11 May 12th, 2005 05:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!