The Canadian Political Thread - Page 2451 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 11:11 PM   #24501
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: S. Alberta
Posts: 21,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
"Tamara" is an idiot. Separation of church and state means government can't establish an official religion.
There ya go, bein' all logical an' stuff again...

(Pssst: "Tamara" ain't the only idiot...)
__________________
Just a meat eating, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Harley riding deplorable troglodyte peoplekind, back from a better place...

“Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, is it reasonable?” —Richard Feynman

“Charm and nothing but charm at last grows a little tiresome...It's a relief then to deal with a man who isn't quite so delightful but a little more sincere.” — W. Somerset Maugham
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #24502
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeXL View Post
There ya go, bein' all logical an' stuff again...

(Pssst: "Tamara" ain't the only idiot...)
There's a prog in here who suffers from terminal logical fallacy...
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 02:34 PM   #24503
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: S. Alberta
Posts: 21,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
There's a prog in here who suffers from terminal logical fallacy...
And the (in?)curious thing is, he's entirely silent on the movement of Sharia law into western society.
__________________
Just a meat eating, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Harley riding deplorable troglodyte peoplekind, back from a better place...

“Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, is it reasonable?” —Richard Feynman

“Charm and nothing but charm at last grows a little tiresome...It's a relief then to deal with a man who isn't quite so delightful but a little more sincere.” — W. Somerset Maugham
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:15 PM   #24504
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,406
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeXL View Post
....he's entirely silent on the movement of Sharia law into western society.
Darnit. I knew that you had a blind spot to anything that opposed your warped point of view.

I have repeatedly answered your inanities in this forum about Sharia Law somehow taking hold in Canada, with evidence, with sources, with actual common sense, but you still go down that road every chance you get.

I'm tired of taking the time to try and correct you. It's impossible. The damage to the cerebellum is apparently irreversible. You'll continue to yammer away with your unfounded prejudices, it matters not what actual evidence is put in front of you.

ehMac. Used to be a nice place to visit to talk about Macs. Has deteriorated into a cesspool of right-wing bigotry and hatred, devoid of any decorum, just a hateful echo chamber of righteous ridiculousness.

A sad state of affairs.
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #24505
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,311
This is how YOU are seen here, CM. You keep on dishing out the same garbage, the same tired "sources" the same bigoted viewpoints--and no matter how often your tissue-thin arguments are demonstrated to be nonsense, you emerge from your world of hurt to try to use them again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I have repeatedly answered your inanities in this forum about Sharia Law somehow taking hold in Canada, with evidence, with sources, with actual common sense, but you still go down that road every chance you get.

I'm tired of taking the time to try and correct you. It's impossible. The damage to the cerebellum is apparently irreversible. You'll continue to yammer away with your unfounded prejudices, it matters not what actual evidence is put in front of you.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:25 PM   #24506
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,406
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
"Tamara" is an idiot. Separation of church and state means government can't establish an official religion.
Wow. Where have you been for the past couple of hundred years?
It seems that to some people, if the words don’t explicitly appear in the constitution then the idea they refer to isn’t constitutionally guaranteed. Viewing it in these simplistic terms is meant to dismiss the entire argument; as if every decision based on the separation of church and state is somehow invalid because the term separation of church and state doesn’t appear in the constitution.

Of course the problems with this assertion are many. First and most basic is the fact that the Supreme Court is the ultimate interpreter of federal constitutional law. This means that while the term “separation of Church and State” may never appear in the constitution itself, the Court ruling in the case of Everson v. Board of Education stated “the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect ‘a wall of separation between Church and State.’”

* * *

It should also be noted that of the 112 Supreme Court Justices, none of them has been an atheist. In fact 92 pecent of them were Christian. What rationale would these justices have for making laws that would create a legal prejudice towards their system of beliefs, especially if the separation of Church and State is a misinterpretation?

The reality is that the constitution was never meant to be a stagnant document that was rigidly adherent to the words on the page. As Thomas Jefferson said “The constitution, on this hypothesis, is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist, and shape into any form they please.” Over the past 200 years the Supreme Court has shaped the constitution to contain a clear separation of church and state that protects every religion equally. If only those who argue against this separation could see how they benefit from it instead of inappropriately interpreting it as an attack on Christianity.


__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #24507
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,311
CM, do you even understand what you are posting here? The quote from Jefferson describes his fear regarding giving too much power to the judiciary. The writer is an idiot with no understanding of history.

Quote:
What rationale would these justices have for making laws that would create a legal prejudice towards their system of beliefs, especially if the separation of Church and State is a misinterpretation?
The establishment of any one religion by government. Is that not enough?
Quote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."


Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
Wow. Where have you been for the past couple of hundred years?
It seems that to some people, if the words don’t explicitly appear in the constitution then the idea they refer to isn’t constitutionally guaranteed. Viewing it in these simplistic terms is meant to dismiss the entire argument; as if every decision based on the separation of church and state is somehow invalid because the term separation of church and state doesn’t appear in the constitution.

Of course the problems with this assertion are many. First and most basic is the fact that the Supreme Court is the ultimate interpreter of federal constitutional law. This means that while the term “separation of Church and State” may never appear in the constitution itself, the Court ruling in the case of Everson v. Board of Education stated “the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect ‘a wall of separation between Church and State.’”

* * *

It should also be noted that of the 112 Supreme Court Justices, none of them has been an atheist. In fact 92 pecent of them were Christian. What rationale would these justices have for making laws that would create a legal prejudice towards their system of beliefs, especially if the separation of Church and State is a misinterpretation?

The reality is that the constitution was never meant to be a stagnant document that was rigidly adherent to the words on the page. As Thomas Jefferson said “The constitution, on this hypothesis, is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist, and shape into any form they please.” Over the past 200 years the Supreme Court has shaped the constitution to contain a clear separation of church and state that protects every religion equally. If only those who argue against this separation could see how they benefit from it instead of inappropriately interpreting it as an attack on Christianity.


__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 07:16 PM   #24508
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,406
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
CM, do you even understand what you are posting here?
I understand perfectly what I'm posting, and what I'm saying. You are talking about the government establishing a religion (rather impossible, I daresay, but there are enough folks out there who believe in UN black helicopter invasion forces that I get where the paranoia comes from).

Frankly, I'm not a constitutionalist and think this age-old debate (more of a shouting match in which no-one hears the other side nor has interest in doing so) over what a bunch of slave-owning white men hundreds of years ago thought is simply a ridiculous obsession.

Life in the 1700s has little bearing on the world we live in today.

I highly doubt the Founding Fathers of the USA could even have conceived of the massive power and influence certain religious organizations and individuals have over modern politics.

It is utter lunacy to give any political space to organized religion. Citizen's recourse for political influence should stay where it belongs — at the ballot box, through representative democracy (where there are enough other shadowy forces and power blocs to contend with).

The Guns God and Ammo crowd be damned - politicians like Scheer, who mumble their way through political campaigns and refuse to clearly state the degree to which their religious beliefs may influence their choice of public policy - especially in the case of party leader and potential Prime Minister, need to decide whether the intend to stand in Parliament or the Pulpit. Serve the people and the interests of the many, or serve the narrow, frequently misogynistic and patriarchal, occasionally delusional, belief systems of people who believe in magical beings who live in the sky and who descend from time to time to smite humanity when it misbehaves, or mixes the kinds of cloth they wear, or eats pork, or whatever other stupidity is dictated throughout the dark centuries of mysticism and rejection of reason.
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #24509
Honourable Citizen
 
Beej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I highly doubt the Founding Fathers of the USA could even have conceived of the massive power and influence certain religious organizations and individuals have over modern politics.

It is utter lunacy to give any political space to organized religion. Citizen's recourse for political influence should stay where it belongs — at the ballot box, through representative democracy (where there are enough other shadowy forces and power blocs to contend with).

The Guns God and Ammo crowd be damned
These statements are pretty unbelievable. On the first paragraph, the founding fathers would have been aware of the history of the Catholic church, and its historic exercise of power, which far outstrips any religion in the U.S. today.

On the second...you understand that the "Guns God and Ammo" crowd votes, right? Just like the brainwashed moronic marxists, useless hippies, and Fine Upstanding People I Agree With.

The constitution, and judiciary, tempers the ability of those citizen's recourse for political influence, as well as everyone else's. But sure, just toss it and see what naked competition for unlimited political power looks like.

Or, for a Canadian thread, throw out all our old parliamentary practices (I think white people did that too!) and have a new set of rules, rewritten whenever someone feels like it, drafted by the batch of idiots we send to Ottawa.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 09:33 PM   #24510
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: S. Alberta
Posts: 21,224
Hello, Bigot.

Contrary to your closed mindedness, I'll listen to anyone, anywhere who can back up their argument with actual facts. Unfortunately, that does not include shallow, willfully ignorant blowhards like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
Darnit. I knew that you had a blind spot to anything that opposed your warped point of view.
Blah, blah, blah. It's been a while since I've taken a social studies class but I'm purdy damn sure that the western world includes more geography than merely Canada. You may wish to go back to your primary school social text & confirm that.

As far as my so-called repeated use is concerned, why don't you hit the old "Search" button near the top of the page, type in "Sharia", then come back & tell me how many times it shows up in my posts over the past year.

I'm not a betting man but I'm willing to bet large here the number of instances falls something short of your hyperbolic "every chance you get".

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I have repeatedly answered your inanities in this forum about Sharia Law somehow taking hold in Canada, with evidence, with sources, with actual common sense, but you still go down that road every chance you get.
Good. Only an idiot would attempt to correct someone else, because it is, indeed, impossible.

Lay out your argument, defend it with facts and, if any of it is substantiated, an intelligent person will consider it. Where your defence fails miserably is in the facts department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I'm tired of taking the time to try and correct you. It's impossible. The damage to the cerebellum is apparently irreversible. You'll continue to yammer away with your unfounded prejudices, it matters not what actual evidence is put in front of you.
Is the first part of your sentence a shining example of the second? Asking for a friend. As to the third part, the iron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
Has deteriorated into a cesspool of right-wing bigotry and hatred,
devoid of any decorum,
just a hateful echo chamber of righteous ridiculousness.
I agree. It is entirely sad when a guy with a Piled higher & Deeper is completely & utterly unable to defend his position on a public board. What a waste of taxpayer $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
A sad state of affairs.
__________________
Just a meat eating, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Harley riding deplorable troglodyte peoplekind, back from a better place...

“Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, is it reasonable?” —Richard Feynman

“Charm and nothing but charm at last grows a little tiresome...It's a relief then to deal with a man who isn't quite so delightful but a little more sincere.” — W. Somerset Maugham
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canadian political discussion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do people use to watermark pictures? krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 20 Oct 17th, 2010 11:17 PM
This Macbook is my first and last Mac, switching back Pat McCrotch Anything Mac 123 Apr 17th, 2009 11:13 AM
The Mythical Separation of Church and State in the USA zenith Everything Else, eh! 31 May 23rd, 2008 03:40 PM
Harpo's Little Dictator headspace surfaces..... MacDoc Everything Else, eh! 242 Mar 7th, 2008 03:46 PM
Moe Norman - Canadian golf legend MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 11 May 12th, 2005 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!