Guess Who/Randy Bachman named Canada's Top Rocker - Page 2 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 152
American Woman/No Sugar Tonight? Pick one song! NST was paired with New Mother Nature! But I have to agree; Bachman (with Cummings) was/were the ultimate Canadian songwriter(s) of that era, if not all time (IMHO)
__________________
Early 2006 Mini
Early 2009 Mini
iPad 3 (I guess)
iPhone 5S
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 85,272
Send a message via AIM to SINC
The top "Canadian" single is "American" Woman? Spare me. I love the song but there is nothing Canadian about it and is the most ridiculous title they could have chosen. Had they picked the top Canadian "group" it works, but not this way.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 3.1 million folks have.)
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #13
hhk
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
The top "Canadian" single is "American" Woman? Spare me. I love the song but there is nothing Canadian about it and is the most ridiculous title they could have chosen. Had they picked the top Canadian "group" it works, but not this way.
I think it's a great Canadian song. I always thought it referred to the way American culture and media tries to dominate us.

...
I don't need your war machines
I don't need your ghetto scenes
...

says it all. Love the song. Very, very Canadian.

And I'm a big fan of Randy Bachman. The only reason I bought TunedIn Radio for my iPhone is to record his CBC show.
hhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Honourable Citizen
 
BigDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moncton
Posts: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
The top "Canadian" single is "American" Woman? Spare me. I love the song but there is nothing Canadian about it and is the most ridiculous title they could have chosen. Had they picked the top Canadian "group" it works, but not this way.
I laughed when people (Lenny Kravitz) in the Excited States perform the song and their Excited listeners go nuts on the Chorus.

I had much the same reaction as Grandaddy Ronny rocking out the Republicans to Springsteen's "Born In The USA."
__________________
OGL breathed life back into the dying Bloc...way to go Steve!

Ad links aka CLICK BATE in my posts were not put there by me.

DO NOT CLICK on the random links in my post if not logged in as a member of this site.
BigDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #15
hhk
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
I laughed when people (Lenny Kravitz) in the Excited States perform the song and their Excited listeners go nuts on the Chorus.

I had much the same reaction as Grandaddy Ronny rocking out the Republicans to Springsteen's "Born In The USA."
How about Mellencamp's Pink Houses? Didn't either Bush or Reagan want to use that for their campaign?
hhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhk View Post
How about Mellencamp's Pink Houses? Didn't either Bush or Reagan want to use that for their campaign?
Seriously... ? What does this have to do with the topic? Are just being a political troll? If If am mistaken in my assumption/question then forgive me, but I don't understand the relevance of your post to the thread.

This thread is about Canadian songs and artists isn't it?
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
The top "Canadian" single is "American" Woman? Spare me. I love the song but there is nothing Canadian about it and is the most ridiculous title they could have chosen. Had they picked the top Canadian "group" it works, but not this way.
I have to agree with hhk on this... it is a very Canadian song in that it would never have been written by an American artist or at least if it had it would have never reached the heights in the charts it did. For Americans it was possible for it to be be popular because it wasn't written by an American but from a foreigner's perspective.

I don't think it was a ridiculous title at all written from a male rock star perspective...

"America Woman" is analogous to Eve in the Garden of Eden trying to seduce the male to evil ways (as was the liberal political perspective of the time re: America and its foreign and domestic policies)... This would fit right within Randy Bachman's Mormon beliefs I think the title makes perfect sense.

Last edited by screature; Oct 1st, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Honourable Citizen
 
irontree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,063
Send a message via MSN to irontree
Wow I'm surprised that Rush placed so low!!
irontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 01:19 AM   #19
hhk
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
Seriously... ? What does this have to do with the topic? Are just being a political troll? If If am mistaken in my assumption/question then forgive me, but I don't understand the relevance of your post to the thread.

This thread is about Canadian songs and artists isn't it?
Umm well, BigDL mentioned that Ronald Reagan used Born in the USA without really listening to the lyrics and I one-upped it with the Mellencamp example. Okay? Geez don't make me explain all my posts to you.

How that could be perceived as trolling is beyond me.
hhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM   #20
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhk View Post
Umm well, BigDL mentioned that Ronald Reagan used Born in the USA without really listening to the lyrics and I one-upped it with the Mellencamp example. Okay? Geez don't make me explain all my posts to you.

How that could be perceived as trolling is beyond me.
Indeed, my bad. Sorry.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!