Bell HD PVR 9241 - how to turn the HD off? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
keebler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,084
Bell HD PVR 9241 - how to turn the HD off?

Hi folks,

So we just upgraded to the above and there's an option to turn the PVR off after at least 4 hours to receive updates, which I haven't tried yet, but i'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the hard drive before 4 hours (I'm not even sure this step does turn off the hard drive)?

Currently, when I power off the unit, I can still hear the hard drive running and the unit is hot. I realize that if i've programmed something to record, it will stay on, but it seems like a waste of power and wear n' tear if it stays on.

cheers,
keebler
keebler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Canuck of Enlightenment
 
DR Hannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 949
As far as I have heard, you cannot turn the hard drive off.
__________________
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss is staring into you!

MacBook C2D 2GHz 2gigs ram 80gig hard drive
Imac CD 1.83GHz 2gigs ram 120gig hard drive
MDD Dual 1.25GHz 1gig ram 500gig hard drive
DR Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
keebler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Hannon View Post
As far as I have heard, you cannot turn the hard drive off.
doh.i'll call the bell wonder folks and see what they have to say
keebler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
K_OS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler27 View Post
Hi folks,

So we just upgraded to the above and there's an option to turn the PVR off after at least 4 hours to receive updates, which I haven't tried yet, but i'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the hard drive before 4 hours (I'm not even sure this step does turn off the hard drive)?

Currently, when I power off the unit, I can still hear the hard drive running and the unit is hot. I realize that if i've programmed something to record, it will stay on, but it seems like a waste of power and wear n' tear if it stays on.

cheers,
keebler
Welcome to B(H)ell they do that for the simple reason that if the hard drive fails out you will once again have to upgrade the receiver at your cost.

Laterz
__________________
01001110011101010110111001101111001000000100000101 10011101110101011010010110000101110010
K_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
keebler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_OS View Post
Welcome to B(H)ell they do that for the simple reason that if the hard drive fails out you will once again have to upgrade the receiver at your cost.

Laterz
that's what i was thinking. I'm calling them tomorrow...first tech support then to accounts so a note is made that i called to complain about it...just in case. I know it might not make a difference b/c i doubt the hd will fail, but you never know.
keebler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Napanee, Ontario
Posts: 1,134
Part of the problem is that once you turn the unit "off" it does system downloads and upgrades over night. I find with my Bell PVR, if I turn it off, the HD does eventually power down. Usually takes about 5 minutes.
__________________
Chris
iMac 21.5", OS X El Capitain
5G iPod Touch 32 GB, iOS 9.2
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
La Cie HD problem Voyager Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 10 Dec 10th, 2005 10:31 AM
Weird HD behavior?? Any ideas??? Corrupt new HD?? draz Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 1 Oct 17th, 2005 07:50 PM
HD for MDD G4 wonderings Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 6 May 17th, 2005 08:36 PM
Firewire 800 external HD Case??? pochien Anything Mac 35 May 12th, 2005 06:13 PM
eMac HD upgrade ... not for the faint of heart mycatsnameis Anything Mac 9 May 10th, 2004 02:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!