(I also posted this on MacNN but I'm posting it here as well)
Frustrating thing is I still love photoshop but right now I'm considering ever buying another one of their products again.
I decided since I might be doing an internship with my church this coming year that while I still will have my student discount available to me for buying products I would see if there is any sort of prices available for non-profit organizations like churches etc. So I visited Apple's site and they have some stuff about essentially you're eligible to purchase from the Apple education store if you're a non-profit. I though OK not that great but I can live with that.
Then I think well Adobe would be the next big vendor I'd really care about getting something from. Well I visit their site and do a search for non-profit. And great it comes up with this gift program or something where you can either request four adobe products a year or a whole Creative Suite. I was like, wow that'd be awesome. So I download the application PDF to see, and on the bottom of the first page I read this,
"Adobe does NOT support: individuals, religious organizations, churches, temples, seminaries, political organizations or private foundations. Also, Adobe does not support any organizations having unlawful discriminatory practices. Organizations with a secular designation (that is a separate 501(c)(3) status from the religious organization) that provides services to people regardless of their religious beliefs and does not propagate a belief in a specific faith are eligible for this program. Example: A food bank that is a separate 501 (c)(3) organization from a church that provides food and meals to anyone who qualifies for services, regardless of religious belief would qualify.) "
I had to re-read this several times before I really got a hold of how bloody offended I should be. I kept thinking it should be Adobe supports... but nope it says NOT in there. Not just Adobe does not support, but rather Adobe does NOT support. Individuals OK whatever, religious organizations... wait a second... churches, what? Temples? Seminaries (I believe Harvard has a Seminary for those that don't know these are simply schools that focus specifically on theology, biblical studies, counselling and a few other areas of study).
Then they go on to say that they would support a secular food bank, but if a church is trying to feed the homeless but feeding the exact same people Adobe does not want to offer them any help and would rather the food bank foot a bill for photoshop!
The absolute ultimate hypocrisy of it is that Adobe states they will not support any organizations that have unlawful discriminatory policies. Granted I don't think it's illegal to discriminate against organizations based on religion, it is illegal to discriminate against people for being religious! I'm Sooo freakishly offended right now it's not even funny!
I've already called Adobe and complained, and I hope that some of you even if you are not Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Scientologist, Mormon, JW, Wiccan, whatever will consider phoning and telling Adobe that you too are pissed off that they're being so bloody bigoted.
I know personally I am trying to figure out if I want to buy their products any more. It's one thing to tell people that A P4 is better for video than an older G4... it's quite another thing to tell people a secular/atheistic view is better than having faith in anything! (For the record atheism/secularism on a world view is a much smaller belief system the biggest would be Christianity then Islam, after that if you group everyone who isn't sure together you might get the next biggest block, it's debatable but either way this policy is essentially someone part of at most 16% of the world's population saying my view is better than yours to the other 84%!).
If you want to take a look at the PDF check it out at http://www.giftsinkind.org/pdf/adobe_web.pdf
As well if you're pissed like I am, I used the number, 800-833-6687 which I got off their contact page http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html
... I'm still genuinely pissed about this... I really don't know if I'll be able to stomach buying another adobe product. And worst of all they're merging with Macromedia now so there goes another good company into this bigoted beast... though who knows how good macromedia was...
Either way... I now need to figure out my moral stance on piracy in light of this fact... is it better to buy, pirate, or simply abstain from using a product sold by a company that shows open contempt for God and His people...
Edit: I should Add M$ practically gives our church software...