ehMac.ca

ehMac.ca (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php)
-   Everything Else, eh! (http://www.ehmac.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Education Thread (http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=149537)

Freddie_Biff Sep 12th, 2017 01:25 PM

Like I said, that didn't take long. Contrarians gonna go contrary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FeXL Sep 12th, 2017 01:27 PM

These incidents used to be isolated. We are far beyond that. They are now commonplace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541881)
I do, and I still contend that isolated incidents cannot be generalized beyond a reasonable horizon.


Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeXL (Post 2541897)
There is no such things as "free" tuition. Somebody is always paying for it. If not corporate & private donors via scholarships, bursaries, etc., then the taxpayer.

True. Still, if it helps qualified students obtain a meaningful college/university education, then it is worth the cost.

Have you ever seen the amount of the Harvard Endowment Fund? It could pay for rebuilding all the damaged homes in Texas due to the destruction of Hurricane Harvey. :eek:

FeXL Sep 12th, 2017 01:32 PM

It's called a discussion, Freddie. Something that you, with all your edumacation & years of teaching, are mentally unable to conduct.

Talk about past behaviour confirming present...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_Biff (Post 2541905)
Like I said, that didn't take long. Contrarians gonna go contrary.


Macfury Sep 12th, 2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541857)
Well, you would have to have observed and interviewed each of these teachers for this statement to be valid.

I only need to know how they teach and hear of the fear in students' voices of expressing the ideas they possess.

FeXL Sep 12th, 2017 01:42 PM

Question: Do we need all of these people attending university, college, tech school? 'Cause you just know that people who normally wouldn't sign up for one are now going to do so, on a lark. They'll hang for a semester or three with their childhood friends, or a member of their favourite sex, or their drinking buddies or because their parents told them to get some post-secondary eddication now that it's free.

Then they'll drop out and all that "free" money that could have been used on something constructive was just wasted.

You know as well as I that things earned have far more intrinsic value than those things merely given. If you truly want to go to post-secondary you will find a way to not only go, but to stay & succeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541921)
True. Still, if it helps qualified students obtain a meaningful college/university education, then it is worth the cost.


Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_Biff (Post 2541905)
Like I said, that didn't take long. Contrarians gonna go contrary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Swim. :)

Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeXL (Post 2541913)
These incidents used to be isolated. We are far beyond that. They are now commonplace.

Well, as I have told my friend, Macfury, just because you say so does not make it so. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeXL (Post 2541945)
Question: Do we need all of these people attending university, college, tech school? 'Cause you just know that people who normally wouldn't sign up for one are now going to do so, on a lark. They'll hang for a semester or three with their childhood friends, or a member of their favourite sex, or their drinking buddies or because their parents told them to get some post-secondary eddication now that it's free.

Then they'll drop out and all that "free" money that could have been used on something constructive was just wasted.

You know as well as I that things earned have far more intrinsic value than those things merely given. If you truly want to go to post-secondary you will find a way to not only go, but to stay & succeed.

If they are not qualified, then they should not be allowed to enter. If they can't maintain certain standards, then they should not be allowed to stay. The State of Georgia has a good system of support, funded by the profits they make on the Georgia Lottery.

I lucked out way back when and was able to convince a bank manager to loan me $750, with no collateral, so I could go to university for one year. All I could offer was my promise to do well and to eventually pay off every penny that I would borrow. These were the days before federally guaranteed loans. I made good on my promise and paid back my four years of student loans ............. and was still able to obtain four university degrees.

So, I am in favor of giving individual students like myself the chance to succeed based on their own merits and accomplishments. Does this make me a Libertarian like my brother Macfury???

FeXL Sep 12th, 2017 02:14 PM

I've provided evidence to support my position.

You've provided none.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541961)
Well, as I have told my friend, Macfury, just because you say so does not make it so. Paix, mon ami.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc.