ehMac.ca

ehMac.ca (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php)
-   Everything Else, eh! (http://www.ehmac.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Education Thread (http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=149537)

wonderings Sep 12th, 2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfury (Post 2541601)
I have watched it repeatedly in the Toronto area. Students are graded poorly if they interpret a novel outside of the approved ideology, for example. All history is taught through a leftist lens.

It certainly seems to be true from what I have watched happening on Universities (specifically in the States). Probably not true everywhere but it seems it has become the mainstream norm. Having a differing opinion then Antifa or any social justice group gets you labeled a bigot, fascist, nazi, racists, etc. Schools have shut down events, or made strong efforts to shut events down because they disagree with the speaker. School should be a place to explore ideas and have them challenged, instead it appears to have become a place you must conform to the approved ideals of the school. I would be happy to be dead wrong on this bleak view of schools today.

Macfury Sep 12th, 2017 08:18 AM

I already experienced this when I was in university decades ago. Professors announcing that they would fail anyone who mentioned a libertarian theme in their papers. Economics professors who deliberately went off curriculum to flog Marxist economic theory that was not part of the textbook and would not be part of the final exam--leaving students unable to complete parts of the group exam that were on curriculum. The latest examples I have seen are in high school, where students grimly state that they have to stay on political message or they will be penalized.

Freddie_Biff Sep 12th, 2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfury (Post 2541601)
I have watched it repeatedly in the Toronto area. Students are graded poorly if they interpret a novel outside of the approved ideology, for example. All history is taught through a leftist lens.



Paranoid much? That is certainly not true at any school I've worked in. Teachers as a whole may lean to the left, but the curricula is fairly objective.

Macfury Sep 12th, 2017 10:14 AM

The curriculum may be objective, but many of the teachers are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_Biff (Post 2541633)
Paranoid much? That is certainly not true at any school I've worked in. Teachers as a whole may lean to the left, but the curricula is fairly objective.


Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfury (Post 2541601)
I have watched it repeatedly in the Toronto area. Students are graded poorly if they interpret a novel outside of the approved ideology, for example. All history is taught through a leftist lens.

Well, as most researchers would tell you is that anecdotal observations are important, but they should not be utilized to make broad generalizations.

"All history is taught through a leftist lens." Once again, this is your opinion, and just saying it does not make it so. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 10:50 AM

"School should be a place to explore ideas and have them challenged, instead it appears to have become a place you must conform to the approved ideals of the school. I would be happy to be dead wrong on this bleak view of schools today." Very good point, Wonderings. Personally, I was shocked when some at Berkley, the university that helped to foster the "free speech movement" back in the 60s, were so closed that they prevented a speaker from speaking.

I too hope that you and I are both wrong re this "bleak view" that is trending in some schools. Hard to think that there were 18-21 year olds, the age of most university students today, who stormed the beaches at Normandy ........ and yet now they need "safe places" to calm down when they hear something disturbing. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfury (Post 2541625)
I already experienced this when I was in university decades ago. Professors announcing that they would fail anyone who mentioned a libertarian theme in their papers. Economics professors who deliberately went off curriculum to flog Marxist economic theory that was not part of the textbook and would not be part of the final exam--leaving students unable to complete parts of the group exam that were on curriculum. The latest examples I have seen are in high school, where students grimly state that they have to stay on political message or they will be penalized.

Wow. Now that is taking "academic freedom" to a dangerous extreme. Sadly, I too had profs who did not want to hear any "anti Vietnam war" discussions.

Still, neither you nor I should draw overall conclusions based on these personal experiences.

I recall some of my students shocked when I let them talk about the use of synthetic phonics. I said that even though I advocated different approaches, I felt that if a student could learn to read this way, then it was the proper approach to utilize. I actually liked it when students disagreed with me and my views as to literacy education, rather than just have them try to "spit back" what I was saying, whether they believed in it or not.

Dr.G. Sep 12th, 2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfury (Post 2541657)
The curriculum may be objective, but many of the teachers are not.

True. Some teachers lean towards the left .......... others to the right ........ and some have no concern over one's leanings. This is why it is important to experience teachers with all points of views.

Macfury Sep 12th, 2017 11:04 AM

It makes it so at the three schools with which I have direct experience and at dozens of schools where others I know have direct experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541681)
Well, as most researchers would tell you is that anecdotal observations are important, but they should not be utilized to make broad generalizations.

"All history is taught through a leftist lens." Once again, this is your opinion, and just saying it does not make it so. Paix, mon ami.


Macfury Sep 12th, 2017 11:05 AM

There are no right-leaners at the high school with which I am most familiar. One centrist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.G. (Post 2541729)
True. Some teachers lean towards the left .......... others to the right ........ and some have no concern over one's leanings. This is why it is important to experience teachers with all points of views.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc.