The Education Thread - Page 12 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #111
Honourable Citizen
 
Freddie_Biff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,102
__________________
"You never know, you know."
Freddie_Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #112
Canadian By Choice
 
Dr.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 115,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie_Biff View Post
Have you seen the process of the new "new math"? I have tried to understand the process, but I am lost.
__________________
Dr.G.
14" G4 iBook
15" MacBook Pro (July, 2009)
13" MacBooK Pro with Retina Display
Paix
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read these books." Mark Twain
Dr.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #113
Honourable Citizen
 
Freddie_Biff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G. View Post
Have you seen the process of the new "new math"? I have tried to understand the process, but I am lost.

You mean "discovery math"? Yeah, all I've discovered is that there were a lot of people before me who discovered and shared some pretty great shortcuts. I don't think I'd be coming up with a quadratic equation on my own.
__________________
"You never know, you know."
Freddie_Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #114
Canadian By Choice
 
Dr.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 115,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie_Biff View Post
You mean "discovery math"? Yeah, all I've discovered is that there were a lot of people before me who discovered and shared some pretty great shortcuts. I don't think I'd be coming up with a quadratic equation on my own.
Yes, "discovery math" is now considered the new "new math". I never could do a quadratic equation in algebra, but I am able to do mental math without pencil or paper ............. or a calculator.
__________________
Dr.G.
14" G4 iBook
15" MacBook Pro (July, 2009)
13" MacBooK Pro with Retina Display
Paix
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read these books." Mark Twain
Dr.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #115
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
The issue that I see is not ideology, I mean we all live one whether we recognise it or not, but being able to think about issues. Unfortunately from lower grades to high school students are essentially told to " listen" and when they enter college or university are expected to think......and it is a brave teacher who challenges that model. We also need to focus on core competencies...these will never change and provide a framework from which students can develop critical thinking skills to be used their entire life.
I totally agree Rps and even though I went to a Catholic High School believe I was provided that. There were only two things Catholic about the school the first was that there was a priest on staff and you could could to a mass every day at lunch time, I went a few times, it wasn't bad, aside from the Christ and God stuff it was just basic moral and ethical instruction, there certainly was no "mind control" or anything like that about it.

The second was Religion class which you could opt out of for another course in your graduating year. It was actually very good, lots of debate but little to no indoctrination. Again it was basically about morals, ethics and philosophy, not even Christianity per say.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #116
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
It makes it so at the three schools with which I have direct experience and at dozens of schools where others I know have direct experience.
Ok so you have direct experience with 3 schools. The rest of your post is just pure hearsay.

I will say this though, I think most teachers tend to lean to to the left because they want to help other people. People on the right, in general, seem to just want to help themselves.

So education is not a priority of those on the right because there is not much money in it until you get to be a professor and publish inflammatory and highly debatable words, then as an academic you can make some money. Go on a speaking tour, get banned by some institutions and that makes you all the the more news worthy which is good for your bottom line in the end, great free publicity.

This is what I have seen, time and time again.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #117
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: S. Alberta
Posts: 23,273
This is the most prejudicial piece of crap I've ever seen you post on these boards.

If that's all you've seen it's time for you to get out of the big city.

Get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
People on the right, in general, seem to just want to help themselves.

So education is not a priority of those on the right because there is not much money in it until you get to be a professor and publish inflammatory and highly debatable words, then as an academic you can make some money. Go on a speaking tour, get banned by some institutions and that makes you all the the more news worthy which is good for your bottom line in the end, great free publicity.

This is what I have seen, time and time again.
__________________
Just a meat eating, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Harley riding deplorable troglodyte peoplekind, back from a better place...

“Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, is it reasonable?” —Richard Feynman

“Charm and nothing but charm at last grows a little tiresome...It's a relief then to deal with a man who isn't quite so delightful but a little more sincere.” — W. Somerset Maugham
FeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #118
Honourable Citizen
 
Macfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto Proper
Posts: 41,960
I think that's nonsense. They leaned to the left because they always leaned to the left and were hired by government entities who also leaned to the left in hiring and promotion. Eventually, they filter out dissent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
Ok so you have direct experience with 3 schools. The rest of your post is just pure hearsay.

I will say this though, I think most teachers tend to lean to to the left because they want to help other people. People on the right, in general, seem to just want to help themselves.

So education is not a priority of those on the right because there is not much money in it until you get to be a professor and publish inflammatory and highly debatable words, then as an academic you can make some money. Go on a speaking tour, get banned by some institutions and that makes you all the the more news worthy which is good for your bottom line in the end, great free publicity.

This is what I have seen, time and time again.
__________________
"My life is my own."

Mac Pro 5,1 3.2 GHZ Quad Core; MacBook Pro 1,1; iPhone 4
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #119
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
I will say this though, I think most teachers tend to lean to to the left because they want to help other people. People on the right, in general, seem to just want to help themselves.
So what you are saying is the left is good and the right is evil?

How about this, the right is tired of mismanegment costing billions of dollars that could actually be used to help people. Think how much more good could be done if money was handled properly and not squandered away?

How many teachers are willing to take a pay cut in order to hire more teachers so they can have the smaller class rooms they want? There is greed on both sides, none are clean of it. You can only spend so much, it is pretty basic, if you are spending more then is coming in you are going to have problems. Now if us tax payers were willing to pay more for these services that would be great, but I am guessing if you polled the country you would find the majority do not want higher taxes.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 04:20 PM   #120
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeXL View Post
This is the most prejudicial piece of crap I've ever seen you post on these boards.

If that's all you've seen it's time for you to get out of the big city.

Get a grip.
It not prejudicial at all, it is observational. There are more liberal teachers than conservative teachers especially as you go up the educational ladder, in this country at least. Maybe you should go to the big cities where their are more school's and universities than there are in small back waters and therefore more teachers on which to make such an observation.

Get a grip on what exactly, the facts, I think I have a pretty good grip on them already.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This Macbook is my first and last Mac, switching back Pat McCrotch Anything Mac 123 Apr 17th, 2009 11:13 AM
Backup tutorial thread Caillou Anything Mac 1 Nov 13th, 2007 12:55 PM
Trying to find a thread tilt Everything Else, eh! 6 Dec 13th, 2006 12:28 AM
Mod Log Chealion Info Centre 7 May 25th, 2006 02:18 PM
Thread page navigation Daniel911 Info Centre 8 Feb 4th, 2005 06:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!