Price check: Pismo 400 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
mrjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,475
Price check: Pismo 400

Hi there,

Price check please.

I have a Pismo in excellent shape with a good battery (meaning at least 2 hours full use but could be more). It's specs include:

- 400MHz Processor
- DVD ROM
- 768 RAM
- 10 GB HD
- YoYo power adapter

I also have a VST CD/RW drive and a car power adapter.

The screen is still bright and has no dead pixels.

Thanks!

Last edited by mrjimmy; Apr 19th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
I usually check eBay,

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items...Q2em283?_rdc=1

Looks like $100 range granted you have the added memory and that highly collectable VST CD/RW drive....
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
mrjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
I usually check eBay,

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items...Q2em283?_rdc=1

Looks like $100 range granted you have the added memory and that highly collectable VST CD/RW drive....
Do I detect some sarcasm there?
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
I usually check eBay,

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items...Q2em283?_rdc=1

Looks like $100 range granted you have the added memory and that highly collectable VST CD/RW drive....
Those eBay Pismos could be in *any* kind of condition. If you want one in excellent condition, for certain, I'd go with an ehMac member's opinion and, better, see it in person first. The power adapter in the first eBay ad is not the yoyo adapter kind. If mrjimmy's "good battery" means a few hours, that's a few hours more than the one in the that ad, since it says it comes with a battery that *does not* hold a charge, and a replacement battery by itself could be $50-80. And the PRAM battery is dead. And the ad confirms key marks on the screen, which has "age-related marks," as does the body.

That seller also has
POWERBOOK PISMO G3 M7572:500/256/20/10.3.9/DVD/Bat+Adap - eBay (item 280335576358 end time Apr-25-09 14:31:13 PDT)
which has a 500 Mhz processor, but there are a slew of the same unknown factors. US $169 start price, US $199 buy it now price, US $29 shipping. But it has a 4GB hard drive, and other stuff that is "upgradeable" for the winner for unknown costs, and once you're buying stuff not in the ad, it's an even more unsafe purchase. The PRAM and lithium batteries "hold charge," but may be "discharged during transit." Meaning they're dead.

Also, for other eBay Pismos that are in the US, factor in the Canadian dollar, shipping, brokerage, taxes, etc.

You might snag a good deal that way--but you never know.
__________________
For sale: black iPod Classic 160GB

Morgan Figueiredo / Fleming = Scammer He's "The G3 Man" here on ehMac.


Last edited by HowEver; Apr 19th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22
$180 to $200
If you replace the HDD with a 40GB, you may even get 200 to 220
rvalone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmy View Post
Do I detect some sarcasm there?
Nup, I have one of the VST drives. Paid around $49 usd for it because it is quite rare as long as it was the version with the custom faceplate for the Lombard/Pismo....

Plus your 512mb sodimm and as someone else mentioned the exchange and shipping costs.

Good is kind of a relative term when it comes to Pismo batteries so typically I expect to replace it if I need to use it off AC.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
Those eBay Pismos could be in *any* kind of condition. If you want one in excellent condition, for certain, I'd go with an ehMac member's opinion and, better, see it in person first. The power adapter in the first eBay ad is not the yoyo adapter kind. If mrjimmy's "good battery" means a few hours, that's a few hours more than the one in the that ad, since it says it comes with a battery that *does not* hold a charge, and a replacement battery by itself could be $50-80. And the PRAM battery is dead. And the ad confirms key marks on the screen, which has "age-related marks," as does the body.

That seller also has
POWERBOOK PISMO G3 M7572:500/256/20/10.3.9/DVD/Bat+Adap - eBay (item 280335576358 end time Apr-25-09 14:31:13 PDT)
which has a 500 Mhz processor, but there are a slew of the same unknown factors. US $169 start price, US $199 buy it now price, US $29 shipping. But it has a 4GB hard drive, and other stuff that is "upgradeable" for the winner for unknown costs, and once you're buying stuff not in the ad, it's an even more unsafe purchase. The PRAM and lithium batteries "hold charge," but may be "discharged during transit." Meaning they're dead.

Also, for other eBay Pismos that are in the US, factor in the Canadian dollar, shipping, brokerage, taxes, etc.

You might snag a good deal that way--but you never know.
Condition can be a big factor, I just skimmed the eBay ads and plucked $100 as the average since this one is a 400mhz with what is probably the original HD so probably a candidate for a replacement. I was looking at this one that ended at $107 which sounds similar to the one the OP has.

If he sells it up here then I'm sure it would go for more since you are going to work in cdn $$$ and probably not need to factor in shipping.

But guess it really depends on how the condition is and how deep the buyers pockets are.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,694
Niteshooter, out of curiousity, how much have you paid for your Pismos?
__________________
For sale: black iPod Classic 160GB

Morgan Figueiredo / Fleming = Scammer He's "The G3 Man" here on ehMac.

HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
Niteshooter, out of curiousity, how much have you paid for your Pismos?
The G4 Pismo was $250 plus shipping off eBay, in hindsight I wouldn't do it again because the speed bump was not worth it just the bragging rights I suppose but frankly a G3 500mhz feels the same.

The rest were mainly 'dead' aka bad pram battery versions back before I let the cat out of the bag on how to fix them and they ranged from $50-$100 for a really mint condition one.

I just EOF'd three at work and am just about finished restoring two out of the three.

I have the G4 in my photo kit, I have another that we use in the kitchen which I am typing this on. One in my wife's photo kit and two for backup along with the three others that just came in.

All of our primaries have 1gb or ram, 120GB hard drives and the Toshiba/Samsung DVD/RW drives plus airport cards and adaptec USB2 or USB2/FW PCMCIA cards. In the photo kits I also pack PCMCIA to CF card adaptors and in mine also a USB card 14in1 card reader.

I went back to the Pismos because I kept destroying G4 TiBooks and for this reason I would be hard pressed to go for a MacBook Pro though I have them at work and so far they seem better.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
mrjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
Nup, I have one of the VST drives. Paid around $49 usd for it because it is quite rare as long as it was the version with the custom faceplate for the Lombard/Pismo....

Plus your 512mb sodimm and as someone else mentioned the exchange and shipping costs.

Good is kind of a relative term when it comes to Pismo batteries so typically I expect to replace it if I need to use it off AC.

Kevin
It is that one. Are you interested in another?
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price check, please: Pismo 400 drehleierguy Anything Mac 20 Aug 25th, 2004 11:08 AM
Price check >> Ti 550 (Ti vs Pismo pt 2) Ohenri Anything Mac 1 Nov 19th, 2002 12:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!