: "Godspeed, John Glenn" -- happy anniversary

Dr.G.
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
A few days early, but still worth noting.

On February 20, 1962, Glenn made his famous journey around the planet aboard NASA's Friendship 7 spacecraft. On that day, he blasted off to the famous words, "Godspeed John Glenn," becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. During the nearly five-hour mission, he circled the globe three times.

I was a teenager back then, and from that moment onwards, wanted to be an astronaut.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2012/02/17/natpkg-john-glenn-orbits-earth.nasa-universal-newsreel)

Ottawaman
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
It certainly fires the imagination. Orville and Wilbur would be thrilled.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/docroot/dulcinea/fd_images/news/on-this-day/On-this-Day--Wright-Brothers-Take-to-the-Air-at-Kittyhawk/news/0/image.jpg

Dr.G.
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
It certainly fires the imagination. Orville and Wilbur would be thrilled.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/docroot/dulcinea/fd_images/news/on-this-day/On-this-Day--Wright-Brothers-Take-to-the-Air-at-Kittyhawk/news/0/image.jpg

Very true, O-man. From Kitty Hawk to The Sea of Tranquility in the time frame spanning December, 1903 to July, 1969. Amazing.

Paix, mon ami.

macintosh doctor
Feb 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
pretty amazing video to watch,
the CGI they had back then was funny to watch now. ;)
Kinda feels like we made a full circle.. back to square one, where the US/ NASA is rocketless and looking to get back in space [possible the moon] again..

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
pretty amazing video to watch,
the CGI they had back then was funny to watch now. ;)
Kinda feels like we made a full circle.. back to square one, where the US/ NASA is rocketless and looking to get back in space [possible the moon] again..

Yes, it would seem that the next person to set foot on the moon will be from China. We shall see.

Macfury
Feb 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
It always bothered me that the Russians were first.

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM
It always bothered me that the Russians were first.

Well, I recall the push in the early 1960s to get us into math and science. I was good in science but only OK in math, so a path towards engineering was not really in the cards for me. I feel that this push was caused by the perceived threat, whether real or not, that if the Russians could put Sputnik into orbit in 1957, and then a man around the earth and bring him back safely, then they could place a missle with a nuclear warhead right on top of the Empire State Building or the White House.

Macfury
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Well, I recall the push in the early 1960s to get us into math and science. I was good in science but only OK in math, so a path towards engineering was not really in the cards for me. I feel that this push was caused by the perceived threat, whether real or not, that if the Russians could put Sputnik into orbit in 1957, and then a man around the earth and bring him back safely, then they could place a missle with a nuclear warhead right on top of the Empire State Building or the White House.

By electing the wrong president, you might place a missile inside the White House--a far more realistic threat!

Dr.G.
Feb 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
By electing the wrong president, you might place a missile inside the White House--a far more realistic threat!

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say, MF. Still, there was the fear back in 1964about who to elect president. The one "Daisy ad" scared the you-know-what out of many Americans and they were very fearful of putting Sen. Barry Goldwater in the White House.

Still, this thread was started as a way to remember a truly unique event 50 years ago. I would not want to see it get off-rail like so many other threads.