: AppleTV dithering... am I imagining this?

MacDaddy68
Jan 19th, 2012, 11:37 PM
The family and I use the ATV2 a lot, and love it, no question.

But lately I feel like we've lost some of the "crispness" - both in the GUI (movie covers, text) and in streamed movie playback from my iMac (via gigabit ethernet). The hi-rez covers now look pixelated & dithered (like a .jpg that's been reduced to 10% quality) and my 720p movies aren't as sharp as before (I now notice macro-blocking type artifacts). Nobody else notices, but I sure do. It's not right.

It surely wasn't like this before, but I can't put my finger on when this change actually took place. Maybe the result of my last update?

Netflix still looks great on both counts - and everything looks fine on my bedroom ATV2 (which is jailbroken, so I never update it), so now my Apple OCD is clamoring for an answer. Anyone else experiencing this?

I tried to make an example, it's probably worse than this actually:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2vxhxsl.jpg

dona83
Jan 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I notice this when I'm watching hockey on my Apple TV, it's very jittery, but I partially blame poor networking hardware for this. The Apple TV likes a lot of bandwidth.

MacDaddy68
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, I do agree - the Apple TV uses a good deal of bandwidth, but I wouldn't think that's the problem in my particular situation. Ages ago, I put in a Gigabit (1000mbps) hard-wired network between my iMac and the ATV to smooth locally stored content. And for online content (a totally separate issue), ordered a fast 50mbps internet connection. With those two things, I've had a flawless stream experience every since.

However, this pixelating GUI thing that's now cropped up, has me baffled. The ATV2 is a stock unit (no jailbreak) and the software is updated to the latest version. Yet my jailbroken ATV2 in the bedroom (with an older version of the software) looks perfectly fine - and it's not the TV (tried that too). My opinion is, whatever caused the GUI to pixelate is also causing the dithering in my local movie streaming... not a lot, but definitely noticeable.

As there isn't much interest in this thread, I assume this is my own issue and not widespread. Perhaps I should have posted this in the Troubleshooting Forum... maybe a moderator can move it?