: Help in taking my iphone 3Gs to Europe

highcadence
Jan 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi All,
I"d like to know if this would work ? I have to go to Europe next month and don't want to buy a new handset. I'm thinking of taking my older iPhone 3Gs.

Jailbreak, then unlock my iphone 3gs (rogers)
insert the prepaid Vodafone card
and will it work to update my trip on fb, twitter etc. etc.

thanks for any suggestions.

highcadence
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM
hi all,
I just read and figured it all out. I dusted off my old 3GS and simply installed the redsn0w package, then jailbroke it, then from the installed Cydia app, ran Ultrasn0w, and boom ! untethered jailbrake and carrier unlocked.. so now I will have the joy of an iPhone with my prepaid SIM to keep my friends and family in the loop when in Europe.

andreww
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Does Vodafone offer data on their prepaid plans?

highcadence
Jan 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM
yes very good plans. However, depending on where you go in Europe, you may not get the "microsim." I was in Italy last september, and in the city where I was, they did not have the microsim!! I was shocked at how backwards they were with smartphones.

As well, whatever provider you choose, be sure to toggle your phone to 3g when you do. I forgot last time, and it was SLOOoooo.. browsing, email etc.

equisol
Jan 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
yes very good plans. However, depending on where you go in Europe, you may not get the "microsim." I was in Italy last september, and in the city where I was, they did not have the microsim!! I was shocked at how backwards they were with smartphones.

As well, whatever provider you choose, be sure to toggle your phone to 3g when you do. I forgot last time, and it was SLOOoooo.. browsing, email etc.

The 3GS uses a SIM, the micro sim was introduced with the 4.

highcadence
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
The 3GS uses a SIM, the micro sim was introduced with the 4.

yes but micro sim's are not available in every cell shop in Europe. Here in N.A. we are spoiled. It really depends on where you go in Europe