: Check Out Acerís Shameless iCloud Ripoff Called ĎAcerCloudí

Tech Elementz
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Check Out Acer's Shameless iCloud Ripoff Called 'AcerCloud' | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/check-out-acers-shameless-icloud-ripoff-called-acercloud)

Looks like Apple is either going to sue, threaten to sue, or just make them release this "shameless" iCloud rip off... What do you think?

SINC
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I think that Apple is way out of line to even attempt this. How in the world do they expect to protect the word cloud? Or 'phone' for that matter if someone wants to produce a oPhone? iCloud as a name, sure, but that gives them no right to try and keep anyone else from using 'cloud'. I mean there's aCloud, bCloud, cCloud and on and on. Any court that would give Apple the exclusive right to the word 'cloud' is flat out wrong. Long live AcerCloud and STHU Apple. I mean really, do they expect it to be AcerCumulus or maybe AcerSky or AcerAtmosphere. The whole thing is just childish crap. You can't honestly call it brand protection.

ehMax
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I think that Apple is way out of line to even attempt this. How in the world do they expect to protect the word cloud? Or 'phone' for that matter if someone wants to produce a oPhone? iCloud as a name, sure, but that gives them no right to try and keep anyone else from using 'cloud'. I mean there's aCloud, bCloud, cCloud and on and on. Any court that would give Apple the exclusive right to the word 'cloud' is flat out wrong. Long live AcerCloud and STHU Apple. I mean really, do they expect it to be AcerCumulus or maybe AcerSky or AcerAtmosphere. The whole thing is just childish crap. You can't honestly call it brand protection.

Where have you gotten that Apple is attempting to protect the word "cloud" or that they are planning to sue? :confused:

All the articles are just pointing out the similarities to Acer's announcement, including the slides from their prevention.

Ironically, it's funny how one Mac site publishes as article and then several other sites basically republish the article almost verbatim. :)

SINC
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Where have you gotten that Apple is attempting to protect the word "cloud" or that they are planning to sue? :confused:

I guess I just have grown to expect Apple to sue from past suits they have launched. :o

fjnmusic
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and there sure seem to be a lot of imitators out there...

Pat McCrotch
Jan 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
LOL I can't believe ACER used an inverted airport signal strength icon to show the data coming from the iCloud! Fail!

Jan 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
LOL I can't believe ACER used an inverted airport signal strength icon to show the data coming from the iCloud! Fail!

Not only is the signal strength icon a sort-of universal Wi-Fi icon, it's an icon adapted from the graphics that have been used a looong time already to represent radio waves, ie

http://www.bodysanctuaryinc.com/blog/wp-content/radio-waves-hi.png

Joker Eh
Jan 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
ironically, it's funny how one mac site publishes as article and then several other sites basically republish the article almost verbatim. :)

+1

Pat McCrotch
Jan 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Not only is the signal strength icon a sort-of universal Wi-Fi icon, it's an icon adapted from the graphics that have been used a looong time already to represent radio waves, ie

Yep, obviously. But still they used EXACTLY the apple icon with 4 bars, triangular starting point etc.

here's a google images search for wifi: wifi - Google Search (http://www.google.ca/search?q=wifi&hl=en&prmd=imvnsr&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=w60NT8u8GKL20gGOkpX0Aw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=686)

notice that the icon in the form used by ACER is nearly exclusively seen besides apple products such as the iPad or the iPod touch.