: iTunes Genius

Joker Eh
Jan 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Anyone using this service?

I have it on and have used it some but now I am finding it a hindrance because now whenever I sync my iPhone the last and longest parts is the uploading of Genius data to Apple. I am thinking of turning it off to avoid this extra time just wanted to see if anyone else find this service useful and/or use it allot.

jimbotelecom
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM

I have it on and have used it some but now I am finding it a hindrance because now whenever I sync my iPhone the last and longest parts is the uploading of Genius data to Apple. I am thinking of turning it off to avoid this extra time just wanted to see if anyone else find this service useful and/or use it allot.

I turned it off because my music library is too large and too obscure for it to be of use. It skips over the obscure stuff well enough but it has to read through the 1Tb of stuff and man it takes way too long. I also find the mixes to be ok but nothing special. It probably works well for someone with a smaller library and more popular tastes than me.

Z06jerry
Jan 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Hmm, I have Genius turned on & using it for a long time & syncing my iPhone does not cause Genius data to be uploaded to Apple. I must have different settings selected. Is there a preference for auto/manual Genius? AFAIK, my Genius only updates when I choose to do so under "Store" in iTunes menubar.

I turned it off because my music library is too large and too obscure for it to be of use. It skips over the obscure stuff well enough but it has to read through the 1Tb of stuff and man it takes way too long. I also find the mixes to be ok but nothing special. It probably works well for someone with a smaller library and more popular tastes than me.

I also have a very large music library & I use Genius a lot. Great feature IMHO. :D