: Your experience : Best iPhone service plan for Cost in Toronto

duper
Dec 31st, 2011, 03:16 AM
After holding out for ages, through all previous iPhone models, I am now preparing to jump into a two or three year contract for an iPhone. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on which carrier to go with. It's for fairly light use, I should add.

Thanks in advance.

jimbotelecom
Dec 31st, 2011, 03:57 AM
Buy your phone outright. Get a speakout account.

Pay per use voice and $10 per month unlimited data. No contract.

Runs on the Rogers network.

For limited use anything else is a waste of money.

milhaus
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Buy your phone outright. Get a speakout account.

Pay per use voice and $10 per month unlimited data. No contract.

Runs on the Rogers network.

For limited use anything else is a waste of money.
AFAIK, not everything works with SpeakOut data, so that option isn't for everyone.

jimbotelecom
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM
AFAIK, not everything works with SpeakOut data, so that option isn't for everyone.

Except that for over a month now, virtually everything is working, especially when using an iOS 5 phone.

Fuji
Jan 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM

Would you kindly elaborate on that please?

I would also welcome other input regarding the who is the best cost/benefit provider and why.

Thanks.

dallan
Jan 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
We have the Bell (fab 10) plan. Lots of minutes, 1 gig data ( have never come lose to using it all) and unlimited calling to ten phones anywhere in Canada. Love this plan.

keebler27
Jan 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
i don't live in TO, but i'm sure they have the same plan. $60 / month, 200 mins, 1 GB data, unlimited phone, text for my10 across canada. That last bit was huge for me b/c I had actually downloaded my last 8 month call list and created a pivot report in Excel showing me the phone calls which cost me the most lol turns out that calling my close friends was sucking up my minutes instead of client calls.

Now I can call them whenever and have the proper mins left for clients.

Jimbotelecom is right though. If I didn't use my phone as much, I would definitely buy it outright and go with pay as you go.

Fuji
Jan 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Except that for over a month now, virtually everything is working, especially when using an iOS 5 phone.

I am also curious if running IOS 4 on a 3G would be an issue with their service. Any idea?

Cheers. :cool:

jimbotelecom
Jan 2nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
I am also curious if running IOS 4 on a 3G would be an issue with their service. Any idea?

Cheers. :cool:

It works fine. You can't outbound text as opposed to iOS5 so you need to pay 10 cents per message. There is an app workaround called text plus. Also no tethering.

The only other limitation that know of, and this is true of iOS4 and 5 is that you can't update your apps over the mobile network.

I really don't think you can beat speakout and it works across the country. You can even run a VoIP client like bria on it and make and receive calls over data.

I'm tied into a business term contract with Rogers but i'm pretty sure once it expires it's bye bye for me.

whatiwant
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
It works fine. You can't outbound text as opposed to iOS5 so you need to pay 10 cents per message. There is an app workaround called text plus. Also no tethering.

The only other limitation that know of, and this is true of iOS4 and 5 is that you can't update your apps over the mobile network.

I really don't think you can beat speakout and it works across the country. You can even run a VoIP client like bria on it and make and receive calls over data.

I'm tied into a business term contract with Rogers but i'm pretty sure once it expires it's bye bye for me.

Will there be any futzing to getting it working data/etc? ie. apn, jailbreaking the phone

John Clay
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
I just looked into SpeakOut, and it was very tempting - until I found out you can't roam in the US or internationally with it.

Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker.

jimbotelecom
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Will there be any futzing to getting it working data/etc? ie. apn, jailbreaking the phone

Hey jawknee. It's really easy if your phone is unlocked as Apple sells them or a Rogers locked phone. You do have to change the APN to Speakout and that's basically it. Easy to do with Apple's iphone config tool which is a short download away.

As John Clay pointed out you can't roam outside of Kanuckistan, so keep that in mind.

whatiwant
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hey jawknee. It's really easy if your phone is unlocked as Apple sells them or a Rogers locked phone. You do have to change the APN to Speakout and that's basically it. Easy to do with Apple's iphone config tool which is a short download away.

As John Clay pointed out you can't roam outside of Kanuckistan, so keep that in mind.

Nice. Thanks for the info. It's for a friend.

John Clay
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
$10 for unlimited data is very tempting for an iPad, however.

jimbotelecom
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:14 AM

Very true. You can then run a VoIP client on the iPad and you have a big cell phone. You would have to cut the large SIM down to size for an iPad.

The G3 Man
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
I'm with Koodo now after having issues with Fido.

Their rates are alright, though I have the unlimited plan as its my personal/home/business line.

:)

whatiwant
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm with Koodo now after having issues with Fido.

Their rates are alright, though I have the unlimited plan as its my personal/home/business line.

:)

This may be a dumb question, and I'm on my phone, so I'm less inclined to google it, but does a koodo sim work in a telus iPhone?

Dr_AL
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
This may be a dumb question, and I'm on my phone, so I'm less inclined to google it, but does a koodo sim work in a telus iPhone?

Apparently not even-though they are the same. I don't know from personal experience.

fellfromtree
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:35 AM

Koodo is currently advertising to come on over to Koodo and bring your 'other carrier' locked phone with you. So whether they are charging to unlock or eating the unlock cost... you'd have to google or ask Koodo.

DDKD726
Jan 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM

I just activated Speakout on my iPad with this $10 unlimited plan and it's working like a charm! I couldn't get data to work with the Speakout sim in my unlocked iPhone, but works perfectly in the iPad... 😁

John Clay
Jan 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I just activated Speakout on my iPad with this $10 unlimited plan and it's working like a charm! I couldn't get data to work with the Speakout sim in my unlocked iPhone, but works perfectly in the iPad... 😁

Awesome, thanks for trying it out! Curious that it didn't work in the iPhone - did you hook it up to iTunes after putting the new SIM in? I've had to do that in the past, to get carrier settings.

jimbotelecom
Jan 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Great news. Remember this works across Canada.

Thank you speakout.

Fuji
Jan 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Re your iPhone: Did you try creating a new profile for speakout using Apple's iPhone configuration utility?

DDKD726
Jan 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Re your iPhone: Did you try creating a new profile for speakout using Apple's iPhone configuration utility?

I did, and did the same thing with the iPad. What I did not do yet is connect the phone to iTunes after I installed the sim. I'll try that when I get home tonight....

Fuji
Jan 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I did, and did the same thing with the iPad. What I did not do yet is connect the phone to iTunes after I installed the sim. I'll try that when I get home tonight....

Awesome. Thanks. :cool:

DDKD726
Jan 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
After connecting to iTunes and restarting the phone data works beautifully with Speakout.

Fuji
Jan 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM
After connecting to iTunes and restarting the phone data works beautifully with Speakout.

Really appreciate the feedback! Cheers. :clap:

anna.del3
May 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I was on the speakout website and says that the sim card may not fit on an iphone is that true?? Also can you keep your number when you switch over??

DDKD726
Jul 7th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I was on the speakout website and says that the sim card may not fit on an iphone is that true?? Also can you keep your number when you switch over??

You can keep your number, as for the sim card, it will fit fine in an iPhone 3G or 3GS but if you have an iPhone 4/4s you will need to cut the sim card so that it fits. Lots of how to videos on YouTube that will show you how to cut the card so I wouldn't sweat it 😁

whatiwant
Jul 16th, 2012, 01:32 PM
hearing different rumours regarding the data. Does speakout get access to the 3g network or is it constained to the 2g one?

whatiwant
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Figured out the data thing. Is there a workaround for iMessage (which isn't working)?