: Should I go Windows or not... oh the dilemma

vinnie mack
Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hey guys,

Long time member, lurker and have a dilemma. I am an Apple/Mac guy through and through. Designer and artist in need of a laptop. My past job i worked on both the new i5 and i7 Macbook Pros. I have an original Macbook (yes, yellow staining plastic version ftw) and need to get something new since I am no longer at that job and don't have a laptop at my disposal. I am looking at something cheap, small, portable.

This question has been asked on many a forum.. the Macbook Air 11" vs the Alienware M11x. I am fairly comfortable about knowing what the MBA can do and I have read enough reviews to know the Alienware though far from comparable in terms of product design and quality is a powerful machine. I am a gamer and currently boot into bootcamp on my mid-2008 spec 24" iMac to play BF2 and racing sims. It would be nice to have a system to use and game where i want without rebooting and have the ability to perform all the other work functions. Also if I built a racing sim rig it would be easy to plug in to a monitor and play.

However my dilemma lies with the OS. I don't hate Windows 7 but wondering if it will play nice with the other family Macs.

I consider this my dark side.. any advice?

Dell does offer the 27 or 30 day return if i don't like the product..

groovetube
Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
I say get a mbp 13. Best bang for the buck

CubaMark
Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Vinnie_Mack, I.... I don't know where to begin. If you're an "Apple/Mac guy" I don't know how this question even arises. I could not conceive of complicating my life with Windows after having a Mac for SO long... having to use CTRL instead of COMMAND when copying / cutting / pasting, among other things, would drive me batty.

Seems to me you can have your cake and eat it too.... keep the 2008 iMac for your gaming and legacy (non-Lion) applications, and get an MBA to move you gradually into the Lion age with Apple's latest tech.

I wonder if that iMac model (there were three released in 2008) has the feature where it can be used as an external display for a laptop...? If so, that would make living with the 11" MBA screen easier when you're doing art & design (or, heck, large external monitors are dropping in price like crazy).

My $0.02, recognizing that everyone has different tastes and tolerances - stay far away from a Windows box, no matter how pretty it looks on the outside.

steviewhy
Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
sudo rm -rf /

vinnie mack
Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
thanks guys, definitely some interesting points to think about.

groovetube
Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
I never understood gaming on laptops. That just me I guess.

Personally, I couldn't conceive of doing that sort of work in windows. People do it, but I don't want to. Unless I had to. Truthfully, if I really wanted to game, I'd get the 13 mbp save a few quid from the air, and snag a PS3.

Separate the two. In the end you could always pick up one of the gaming windows laptops used for cheap. For god's sake don't buy them new, they're like cars, drive 'em off the lot and they're worth half immediately.

wonderings
Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
If your gaming serious about gaming, a windows laptop meant for that will be your best option.

Windows 7 is a solid OS. I have no problem connecting to my Windows 7 machines from my mac, and vice versa. They play pretty nice together, and things like iTunes with sharing works just as if it were another mac on the network.

Not sure what options there are out there for gaming laptops, but Alienware is usually overpriced compared to other setups you can get these days, but again, not sure about that laptop market in that regard.

Find what suits your needs best and go with that. Brand loyalty doesn't really make much sense when it comes to these large companies. If it works for you, and works well, then its the perfect computer for you.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Nov 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have played WoW on my MB; it's a 2007, Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM. It played pretty good albeit the graphics were set to low. I'm not sure the chips used in the "light" laptops are ideal for a gamer. I'd go MBP 13".