: New Apple TV connections

Kevin_B
Nov 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have a home theatre system consisting of, among other things, a Yamaha 1500 home theatre receiver and a Panasonic 50" plasma tv, both about 5 years old. Neither unit has an HDMI input. I would like to get an Apple TV, but was told that I could not use this device because I did not have hdmi connections. Is this true, or do I have options?
Kevin

fjnmusic
Nov 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
You could get an HDMI adapter that will plug in to, say, a VGA input on a projector, but you'll also be downgrading your video signal. The Apple TV 1 also has component out (red, blue, green RCA connectors) but cannot do AirPlay, for example. Both the 1 and the 2 also have an optical output for sound that can be hooked up to a receiver that supports thus kind of input. Your best bet would be to get a receiver with HDMI inputs that can then be routed to your TV. Or upgrade your TV. Lots of things use HDMI these days.

This might work:
http://www.fadbus.com/wholesale/super-speed-1-8-meters-hdmi-to-vga-3-rca-cable-multimedia-interface-black.html

Andrew Pratt
Nov 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
What inputs does your TV have? If you have DVI you can easily use an adapter to go from HDMI to DVI. Going from HDMI to other formats is possible but not cheap to get it working properly

Mike457
Nov 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
You might be better to buy an Apple TV v1. Although it won't offer things like Netflix if you're looking for that, it does have component outputs and will play practically anything you may have in iTunes.