Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

why can't I print a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader??

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ants 
#1 ·
I am trying to print a hydro bill, which is in PDF format. Acrobat reader just sits there and does nothing. A look in my print queue shows that no job is there. Anything else (from any other application) prints, so it's not a problem with the printer or physical connections.

WHY am I using the acrobat reader? A while ago, I went to the Hydro Québec site to view / download my current invoice. THIS is how it displayed in Preview online, or after download:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I reported the problem to Hydro Québec, whose terse reply was "download and install Acrobat Reader".

How can I get the reader to print my file? ... or WHY does the acrobat reader refuse to print?:confused::(:(

The printer is connected via a usb hub
Acrobat Reader version: version 10.1.0 / build: 10.1.0.534

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you try and download the pdf and print it from acrobat or preview instead of through safari? I always download the actual pdf itself.

#4 ·
Perhaps I did not phrase myself correctly. I AM trying to print from the ACROBAT READER.
It will NOT print the file. ... or any PDF file....

The problem is not with the browser (I have Safari, and Chrome), nor with Preview.

Why does ADOBE ACROBAT READER refuse to send a print job to the queue?
FWIW, I had the same problem with an earlier version of the reader in Snow Leopard... :mad:

... the sole reason that I installed the Acrobat Reader on my machine was because of the display problem. Other than that, it is an unnecessary application taking up space on my hard drive.:(

#6 ·
I use Preview to view my Hydro invoices as well and it displays it the same way you see it. However, once I print the invoice, if looks as it should.

My suggestion make Preivew your default application for pdf files and remove Acrobat Reader. Hopefully this will solve part of problem.

#7 ·
Preview WAS the default application. I only installed Acrobat Reader (on advice from Hydro Qué.) when this problem surfaced.

It would be nice to find out why, and correct the problem so I can print from the Reader, otherwise I'll simply dump it off my system.:(

#8 ·
tried it myself

I wanted to try....so I installed Reader (version 10.1) and did not opt in for the browser plug in during installation. Opened a Hydro pdf document and was able to clearly see my invoice and was able to print.

I am using OSX 10.7.1 and printing wirelessly. Perhaps try reinstalling it ?

Wish I could offer more insight as to why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.