: Hungary Destroys GMO Crops

CubaMark
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Maize Fields (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_23658.cfm)

In an effort to rid the country of Monsanto's GMO products, Hungary has stepped up the pace. This looks like its going to be another slap in the face for Monsanto. A new regulation was introduced this March which stipulates that seeds are supposed to be checked for GMO before they are introduced to the market. Unfortunately, some GMO seeds made it to the farmers without them knowing it.

Almost 1000 acres of maize found to have been grown with genetically modified seeds have been destroyed throughout Hungary deputy state secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development Lajos Bognar said. The GMO maize has been ploughed under, said Lajos Bognar, but pollen has not spread from the maize, he added.

(OrganicConsumers (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_23658.cfm))

Macfury
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
CM: How do they differentiate between GMO seeds and hybrid seeds? What is the definition?

bryanc
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know what definition Hungary is using, but hybridization is completely different than genetic engineering, and it's trivially easy to distinguish the two in a lab.

I'm quite conflicted about this news. While I see GMO crops as one of the most potentially beneficial technologies to emerge from the 20th century, it's also perfectly clear that Monsanto is pursuing almost every conceivable way of abusing and misusing this incredibly powerful approach to many ecological and economic problems. So this sort of seems like Hungary is doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Macfury
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I don't know what definition Hungary is using, but hybridization is completely different than genetic engineering, and it's trivially easy to distinguish the two in a lab.

I want to know the difference in definition, however. A hybrid could conceivably cause as much difficulty as a GMO strain, since we're talking about result, not method here.

bryanc
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I want to know the difference in definition

Okay, with the caveat that I don't know if Hungary is using a different definition, a 'hybrid' is an organism that results from mating to genetically dissimilar lines. A GMO is an organism who's genomic sequence has been engineered using molecular methods to include (or remove) a specific DNA sequence.

A hybrid could conceivably cause as much difficulty as a GMO strain, since we're talking about result, not method here.

Absolutely. The panic about GMOs is largely based on fear and ignorance. However, Monsanto has done everything possible to give those people afraid of this technology good reason to fear it. Like any technology, genetic modification of crops can be used for ill-conceived (or just plain evil) ends, and Monsanto is doing that in spades.

Macfury
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Just give me a lemonade with a cube of Ice-9 in it and I'll be happy.

bryanc
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Just give me a lemonade with a cube of Ice-9 in it and I'll be happy.

I tried using the idea of Ice-9 to teach biochemistry undergrads about prions once, only to discover (much to my disappointment) that none of them had ever read Vonnegut :(