: Relay For Life, anyone else participate this week end ?

speckledmind
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Just wondering !

I have been involved in the Relay For Life walk for many years, some years putting together teams, other years joined existing teams, all in all, raising funds, working for the cause, but specially in support for the people who are challenged with Cancer.

Every year I dedicate my walk to one special person, some have passed away, some are survivors, others are in the mits of battling Cancer, this year my walk was dedicated to a very good friend of mine, her name is Diane.

What really amazes me every year when I speak about this walk (while raising funds before the event), is that some people still think that Cancer only affects older people, think again, a lot of people who where participating in the event this year dedicated there walk to the younger crowd, giving hope you see, one group dedicated there walk to a 26 year old woman who is presently battling cancer.

Cancer has not Prejudice.

For those who don't know what this is or what it's about, read up, Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life (http://convio.cancer.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=RFL_CAN_home_accueil&s_locale=en_CA), think about putting together your group, or joining an existing group, being a volunteers for the event is always an option.

In my area (Outaouais, the greater Gatineau) the walk took place in Jacques Cartier Park (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&xhr=t&cp=22&pq=jacques+cartier+park&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1570&bih=864&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=jacques+cartier+park+gatineau&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=jacques+cartier+park&hnear=0x4cce1a7e0babee53:0x7cedf5701a140956,Gatine au,+QC&cid=0,0,2350117165566967679&ei=s1D_TauZDeen0AGkifGqBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQnwIwAA), we raised some $421,000.00 during this walk.

Yep, did the walk, raised some funds, got the 2011 T-Shirt

Anyone else participated in the Relay For Life walk this past week end ?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z297/speckledmind/Activities/Relais.jpg

Chimpur
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I was involved in the Burlington Relay last year and the year before. While I immensely support the cause, I found that some teams were there more to one up each other in costumes. But overall I really enjoyed the whole event and was amazed every year how much money was raised overall! I really enjoyed the survivour stories! Its so amazing to hear of the struggles that people have overcame in their battle with cancer!

kps
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Didn't participate in the Toronto event which was a week or two ago, but sponsored a coworker for $50.

eMacMan
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Been known to sponsor people for such events but I never actively participate, primarily due to my aversion to asking people to sponsor me.

Still good to see how many people do participate.

speckledmind
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for sharing guys.

With our busy lives juggling the hours and days between family, kids, work and everything else that gets thrown at us, it's a given that not everyone has the time to put together a team or join an existing one, but I will tell you, sponsoring people is very cool, it's also the most important part of the event.