: Rumors, Rumors, Rumors, are you interested in iPad 3 Rumors ?

speckledmind
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Following the World Wide Developers Conference on June 6, and Steve Jobs not announcing any new hardware during the keynote address, a lot of people where left with an appetite for things to come. No new hardware announcements also got a lot of people digging on what Apple is possibly working on, keeping in consideration how fast the technology changes and Apple always wanting to be a leader in the industry, it's got to be Big, and it should happen soon.

Well ! this iPad 3 rumor (speculation) has been going around long enough, it's time to share.

From what I have picked up in the news, the release of iOS 5 Beta has reveals that the iPad 3 may have a a groundbreaking 1536 x 2048 Display resolution.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/ios5pixels-110614.png

Source : Tech Unwrapped (http://techunwrapped.com/2011/06/14/ios-5-reveals-ipad-3-to-have-retina-display/) Apple Insider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/14/double_resolution_ipad_images_in_ios_5_beta_rekind le_speculation_on_ipad_3_display.html)

Considering that the current iPad 2 has a 768 x 1024 pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi), doubling the resolution of the device would bring it very close to the 300 ppi, Sweet ! it definitely qualifies as a Retina Display.

This new display will look stunning if true.

Tell me what you think, are you iPad enthousiast excited about this rumor and speculation ?

mguertin
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think that if they go that route it's quite an annoying resolution size. 1024x768 is understandable ... it is in 4:3 ratio and it is a common computer type resolution. It doesn't work great for video purposes (16:9 not quite 720p, etc) but at least it's close. The new doubling of the size, while I understand the desire to do it like that (make it easy for pixel doubling for older apps that aren't up to date with the latest resolutions) is a very very oddball size when it comes to displaying video, which at least for me is a big reason I like the iPad -- it's a fantastic portable video player. At the new size above it would look pretty terrible for a lot of existing video (at the sizes they are at) and it's larger than 1080p -- but at least it would be capable of showing all the pixels when showing a 1080p video -- albeit it would have to increase the size (!!?!) to make it fit the screen.

It's so strange for Apple to be running all of their desktop/laptop computer lines at the 16:9/16:10 aspect ratios but then continuing with 4:3 on their iPad line (which is more of an "old-school" ratio).

mguertin
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Also keep in mind with regards to the "retina display" approach ... unless your content is big enough to show pixel to pixel having a display with that much pixel density is going to make your up-scaled, smaller content look WORSE as opposed to better.

csonni
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Call me ignorant, but I don't want to hear of any iPad 3's. I always seem to get bitten with that upgrade bug.

elvtnedge
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've been thinking about an ipad 2 as I might have some serious use for it soon but not just yet. If the rumors are true I can make myself not be ready for the next update.

hayesk
Jun 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I think that if they go that route it's quite an annoying resolution size. 1024x768 is understandable ... it is in 4:3 ratio and it is a common computer type resolution. It doesn't work great for video purposes (16:9 not quite 720p, etc) but at least it's close. The new doubling of the size, while I understand the desire to do it like that (make it easy for pixel doubling for older apps that aren't up to date with the latest resolutions) is a very very oddball size when it comes to displaying video, which at least for me is a big reason I like the iPad -- it's a fantastic portable video player. At the new size above it would look pretty terrible for a lot of existing video (at the sizes they are at) and it's larger than 1080p

I don't think it would. It's still the same 4:3 ratio. The iPad already scales 720p video for the iPad and it looks great. Even a 480p video scaled up to the 1024x768 screen looks good. There's no reason to think 1920x1080 video scaled to fit on a 2048x1536 screen would not look worse than 1280x720 video scaled to fit on a 1024x760 screen. Apple has very good video scaling algorithms.

hayesk
Jun 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Also keep in mind with regards to the "retina display" approach ... unless your content is big enough to show pixel to pixel having a display with that much pixel density is going to make your up-scaled, smaller content look WORSE as opposed to better.

It'll be the same as looking at non-retina apps on the iPhone 4 noticeable, but not that bad. But this is the reason for this rumor. This rumor was started because someone made "retina artwork" so they wouldn't have to come back and revisit an old project later. You will see a lot of this speculative work coming, but it isn't evidence it's coming soon. I suspect not until iPad 4 or 5.

mguertin
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think it would. It's still the same 4:3 ratio. The iPad already scales 720p video for the iPad and it looks great. Even a 480p video scaled up to the 1024x768 screen looks good. There's no reason to think 1920x1080 video scaled to fit on a 2048x1536 screen would not look worse than 1280x720 video scaled to fit on a 1024x760 screen. Apple has very good video scaling algorithms.

The iPad scales _down_ 720p video to fit the screen, which of course makes it look good. A 1080p scaled up might look ok on that screen size, sure, but it won't look as good as a 1x1 pixel ratio would (which means that full 1080p video will never look as good on it as it would on a similar sized 1:1 pixel ratio screen setup) and it won't look as good as the slightly scaled down sized 720p on the current iPad setup.

But also consider that Apple doesn't even sell 1080p video (yet). Their "HD" video is only 720p, so what is that going to look like scaled up (and doing the math it's not going to scale with nice even numbers which makes matters worse), or what about all the 480p content they are still selling, at that point it will look pretty terrible ... or at the very best it will look very "soft".

I think that if/when Apple gives us a larger resolution screen that they are going to go with something that is a more "standard" size video wise. It might not happen, but given that Apple is also in the business to sell video I could see a 1808p ITMS content rollout happen along with a native 1080p iPad screen to play it on ...

ertman
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Am I interested in iPad 3 rumours? Not really. Its not because I don't care, there is just little they can do to improve their product, without going against their current trend.

I was much more of a doubter at first regarding the iPad's functionality, but I have been won over more and more with most of the credit going to how useful I find my ipod touch. I would have liked to see some kind of easy external storage attachment, a dongle is a stupid solution.

What I would like to see is much tighter integration with computers, and especially macs (its just easier). I don't know why some more of the sci-fi functionality hasn't happened yet, including smart spaces and the ability to gesture transfer things from computer to device or between devices for continuing to work on things.

mguertin
Jun 21st, 2011, 11:51 AM
What I would like to see is much tighter integration with computers, and especially macs (its just easier). I don't know why some more of the sci-fi functionality hasn't happened yet, including smart spaces and the ability to gesture transfer things from computer to device or between devices for continuing to work on things.

I'd love to have this ability, especially for web pages and the like. Lots of times I find something on one device and want to move it to the other and right now it's painful.

Abby
Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Yeah, Im interested in iPad 3 rumors, but I don't believe them until Apple released the real iPad 3, though now Im enjoyable with the iPad 1! Watching videos&movies(though may need ifunia's help), play games, of course including check email, surfing... :D

speckledmind
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
More rumors on the new iPad.

Bloomberg reaffirms the rumors that Apple is preparing the released of a new iPad in September (along side the new iPhone 5), the screen resolution would be about one-third higher than that of the iPad 2, it's also said that it will boast a more responsive touchscreen.

From what I am picking up in the news, Apple has timed the release of the new iPad 3 and iPhone 5 to coincide with the public release of iSO 5.

Source : bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-said-to-prepare-faster-iphone-for-september.html)

Joker Eh
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM

Bloomberg reaffirms the rumors that Apple is preparing the released of a new iPad in September (along side the new iPhone 5), the screen resolution would be about one-third higher than that of the iPad 2, it's also said that it will boast a more responsive touchscreen.

From what I am picking up in the news, Apple has timed the release of the new iPad 3 and iPhone 5 to coincide with the public release of iSO 5.

Source : bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-said-to-prepare-faster-iphone-for-september.html)

All it says is Apple is testing a new version of the iPad which may be a higher resolution screen but nothing about a new version being released this fall. Even the title of the article "Apple Preparing Faster IPhone for September" is about the iPhone.

digitddog
Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Bloomberg reaffirms the rumors that...

Reaffirms a rumor? Now that's a phrase for the ages :lmao:;)

Gordon Gekko
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything that Bloomberg publishes, especially after their non-call on the U.S. Housing Bubble.