: Very old diskettes. Worth the effort?

Moscool
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I just found a box of old diskettes circa Mac Plus and Mac IIcx. It is a combination of old data (say word for mac v1) and a couple of apps including some based on hypercard...

Two Qs:

Is there a way to have my PC (the only item with a diskette reader in my home) read the floppies without rejected them as 'unformatted' in order to share them across my home network?

Is it worth the effort given the age of the stuff (i.e. has there been a generation change in classic making all the old stuff unreadable)?

Thanks

minnes
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:17 PM
try one of these:
You can find an old mac with ethernet and floppy
Find a usb floppy used for about $25 os so
You could try finding this old app for the PC called transmac search for it on google, it will load your data from Mac formatted floppies on to your PC and get it to your PC.

Kosh
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I don't think it's really worth the effort. You're talking software for a 680x0 based Mac and made for an older MacOS. Hypercard, as far as I know is dead.

I believe you have MacOS X, right? Most of that stuff would have run under MacOS 7 at the time. Some of it may not run under MacOS 9. Some of it could require 16 colors or black & white and will definitely not run on your hardware. I believe software that requires black & white or 16 colors was useless after the transition to PowerPC.