: iOS 5 Beta: Problems

ericlewis91
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
After installing

double clicking the home button as well as pulling down the notification bar does not work

any ideas?

Thanks

Paul82
Jun 7th, 2011, 10:53 PM
which device are you on? did you run into any error messages in the install process? did you upgrade or restore?

ericlewis91
Jun 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM
a quick turn off and turn on, fixed the problem.. thanks though!

Rounder
Jun 8th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It's buggy, this is a Beta. It's expected. Yesterday I got home from work, and my iPad 2 wouldn't wake up. Buttons didn't work, plugging it into the computer didn't work... had to do a manual hard reset and then the Apple Logo popped up again. Phew! lol It's these things that remind me to be weary of upgrading to the Betas.

Paul82
Jun 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's buggy, this is a Beta. It's expected. Yesterday I got home from work, and my iPad 2 wouldn't wake up. Buttons didn't work, plugging it into the computer didn't work... had to do a manual hard reset and then the Apple Logo popped up again. Phew! lol It's these things that remind me to be weary of upgrading to the Betas.

Couldn't agree more it definetey still feels beta to me, and not the most bug free one I've used by a long shot.

Rounder
Jun 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Couldn't agree more it definetey still feels beta to me, and not the most bug free one I've used by a long shot.

Well we all get so excited by new features and sometimes forget that these are meant for testing. It's not recommended to install on a main phone (like I did). But I don't regret it. My phone has little to no issues. Everything works perfectly except for Photos. I haven't experienced a crash on it yet.

I just can't wait to be able to do Wifi-Sync! And Airplay Mirroring on the iPad.

Paul82
Jun 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I agree, I'm happy to have it :) Just curious if anyone else has trouble creating new calendar events on the phone, when I try it crashes the calendar app, I've read other reports but no solution yet.

Stephanie
Jun 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'll never again put a beta OS on my main phone. Apple recommends very clearly not to put the beta on anything other than a device that is specifically for beta testing.

During the 3.0 beta testing there was a situation where the 'current' beta expired before the next one had been released, and when your phone hit midnight it shutdown - connect to iTunes 'pink screen of death'. There was no way to do a backup, no way to do an update, you had to get the new beta when it was available and do a restore, and hope your last backup wasn't too long ago.

If you depend on your iPhone / iPad / iPod touch for regular daily use, putting a beta OS on it can be a gamble.

Just my 2cents on the matter. FWIW I do have iOS5 B1 on my iPad2 but my iPad is not 'mission critical' for me.

Cheers!

Joker Eh
Jun 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
i'll never again put a beta os on my main phone. Apple recommends very clearly not to put the beta on anything other than a device that is specifically for beta testing.

During the 3.0 beta testing there was a situation where the 'current' beta expired before the next one had been released, and when your phone hit midnight it shutdown - connect to itunes 'pink screen of death'. There was no way to do a backup, no way to do an update, you had to get the new beta when it was available and do a restore, and hope your last backup wasn't too long ago.

If you depend on your iphone / ipad / ipod touch for regular daily use, putting a beta os on it can be a gamble.

Just my 2cents on the matter. Fwiw i do have ios5 b1 on my ipad2 but my ipad is not 'mission critical' for me.

Cheers!

+1

Rounder
Jun 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I agree, I'm happy to have it :) Just curious if anyone else has trouble creating new calendar events on the phone, when I try it crashes the calendar app, I've read other reports but no solution yet.

Nope, I'm able to create events, and modify. No problem :)

ehMax
Jun 8th, 2011, 12:55 PM
This version is for developers who are in the developer program (http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/). Unless you're in the developer program and know what you're doing, you shouldn't be installing this version on your iPhone. They have their own developer support site (http://developer.apple.com/support/) for these versions.

Dr_AL
Jun 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I would love to see the number of developer accounts in comparison to the number of developer accounts that have actually submitted or are developing applications.

From what I have "heard" even the developer forums are starting to fill up with non-developers posting with issues and problems. Seems like people are happy to pay apple $99 for beta software.

Maybe Apple should just charging $99 for the actual update...

Sent from my iPhone

Chealion
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Even worse than the initial builds of iOS 3 or 4? I made the mistake of putting those on my 3G when they came out.

This version is for developers who are in the developer program (http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/). Unless you're in the developer program and know what you're doing, you shouldn't be installing this version on your iPhone. They have their own developer support site (http://developer.apple.com/support/) for these versions.

Hear hear!

I would love to see the number of developer accounts in comparison to the number of developer accounts that have actually submitted or are developing applications.

Of note, there are several groups of users that would want early access and do not do development; namely IT, product integrators and such. I remember my first WWDC I learned that the attendee ratio was definitely skewed in favour of the "non-developers" (pre-iOS) who were there for the IT Track.

Paul82
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Can't really speak to those beta's as I didn't use them... but it's more usable on my iphone 4 than the final build of iOS4 4 was on my 3G, if that's any indication.

I have managed to crash it numerous times though, and the list of bugs that I've found myself is growing relatively long, but this is all to be expected for a beta 1... esp. considering we are still about 2-3 months away from a final build.

mguertin
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Of note, there are several groups of users that would want early access and do not do development; namely IT, product integrators and such. I remember my first WWDC I learned that the attendee ratio was definitely skewed in favour of the "non-developers" (pre-iOS) who were there for the IT Track.

Probably still is. Most of the people I personally know who are in the "developer program" are not developers, as you say they are IT track type folks who want early access or wannabe developers that just want to hang out with all the cool kids LOL :D

jhuynh
Jun 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
The music app for iPad in iOS5, when I'm listening to a song how do I get to the album tracks screen where I can rate the song 1-5 stars? I can't figure this out.

Paul82
Jun 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Can't seem to figure that one out either...