: 1st Gen IPOD

Tcyrenne
May 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Good day everyone! I have a 1st gen Ipod touch and the connector for the USB cable seems to be loose or something. Each time I connect the cable, I have to jiggle the cord (where the cable connects to the Ipod) to make a connection. It is not the cord itself, but the ipod connector.

My question is: I have a second 1st gen touch, can I swap out that piece from the other Ipod into this one? THe little research I've done leads me to think that the logic board needs replacing.

On my 2nd 1st gen Ipod touch, it is bricked so I thought I could use it for parts, is that recommended?

Thanks

T

digitddog
May 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM
It can be done, as this iFixIt step-by-step (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPod-Touch-1st-Generation-Logic-Board/632/1) shows. But from personal experience, taking apart a 1st gen iPod touch takes gentle persistence. The glue requires some prying to loosen and you have to be very careful not to damage adjacent components. In other words, don't accidentally use a nearby component as a fulcrum as you lever parts apart...like I did :)

If your main iPad touch isn't working to your satisfaction, then you really have two devices that are scrap. Why not give it a shot and see if you can make one that you'll really want to use from the two?