: MS Access-->Filemaker Pro?

CubaMark
Jun 15th, 2003, 11:53 PM
A friend of mine is raving about this MS-Access database (genealogy) that runs on his assistant's office PC. He wants access to it from his Mac, running OS X. There is no Access for Mac.

However, on the Filemaker Pro website, I find this:

you can import data from other ODBC-compliant applications, like Microsoft Access, directly into FileMaker Pro. Now in FileMaker Pro, you can also update data directly in ODBC-compliant applications.
Since I'm a database virgin, I thought there might be a few gurus in here who've dealt with this situation.

The basic question is:

Will he be able to access the Access database via Filemaker, and change the data from Filemaker if he wishes?

He's also not what we would call "technical," so any nifty, neat-o, funky, magical solutions that stray too far from the Open dialogue simply will not be entertained ;)

M.

CubaMark
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Minnes, I'll have a look at that to see if it fits his needs. I don't believe the database is web-served (since Access requires a "helper" program to do this, unlike Filemaker Pro).

It needs to be seamless -no exporting as tab-delimited blah blah blah. He has to have full read / write access to the database files where they reside, essentially what we're looking for is an Access "client" on the Mac side.

ciao,
M.

Chealion
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM
You could try Virtual PC and install Access onto the virtual machine. This may help matters, but from my knowledge there is no Access "client" for the Mac.

CubaMark
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Chealion,

Yeah - I had considered that... but it's one more program / step that he has to deal with. It may be the way we have to go, eventually, but I'd rather the solution be a one-app wonder....

M.

minnes
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Cubamark
If he wants to move daa from Access to Filemaker
there are many ways.
In access ,He could choose to export the data as a file that will be compatable with FM , I used to use Access and Visual Basic a couple of years ago, the data can be exported and I believe the database schema (the structure as well). If it can be exported as sql, then that is one route, or if he justs moves the data as a CSV file, then that would work too, but he would have to create a new blank database of the same structure in filemaker to stick the CSV file into.
Does the Access DB already serve data via the internet? If this is the case, I think Filemaker can connect directly with the access database and read all the data and structures, but you would have to look up how to do that. I believe their would be some sort of remote connection command in the FM menus.
Mike Banton knows a bit about File Maker , send him a message.

minnes
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:13 PM
I just downloaded and installed a great MacOSX app called MacSql, which is great DB tool that connects and displays data from almost any kind of database , local or remote.
look for it on www.tucows.com (http://www.tucows.com)

minnes
Jun 16th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Im confused
you have a PC with Access and a mac with Filemaker, correct?
Im very sure access can be networked, though most people use access as a single user desktop app.
Your friend wants to access data from a mac on the same local network, but not from the internet? but doesnt want to move the data, just administrate? You could do all this much easier on anything but Access. Why not move it all to Filemaker and install a Filemaker app on the PC, then you could access the data anywhere. This is the easiest action,

[ June 16, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: minnes ]

CubaMark
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Mark,

I know what you're saying... but the "keeper of the keys" and the staff member who is "responsible" for the database works on a PC using Access. This is a university environment. I'm willing to help my friend find a way for him to access, but no way am I going to get involved in the departmental battle that would result from an attempted move over to FileMaker Pro. Plus, they'd have to buy FMPro for their XP box in addition to buying it for my friend's Mac.

Your solution is the right one... but it's not going to happen in this case tongue.gif

M.

minnes
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM
The next easiest solution is a Virtual PC or there might be an app like macSql that could give you what you want, but Access is really not a very good networked database, if they wanted network functions they should have done the proper research first,

I keep seeing situations like this every now and then, and this kind of thinking enforce my decision to stick with MacOSX as my permenant OS of choice, with thinga like OpenOffice, Filemaker, and Apache/PHP/Posgres/MySql working so well on any new Mac. Yet I get hassled for my desicion for no particular reason from folks with cheapo PCs. Al I can say is, oh well.