: Apple Mail question

Yakman$
May 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hello all
This might be a dumb question but......

Is there a way to set up the search in mail ????

In the past i have been able to search by typing in the top right hand search box
Any part of the email or address and even the subject.

But for some strange reason it no longer works.....

I can put an exact email address in the search bar and the email wont come up, But if i manually scroll down i can find it. Its driving me crazy...:-(

Does anyone know why ???????

Thanks

broad
May 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
are you sure you're searching the right mailbox? do you have your search parameter set to "to" or "subject" instead of "entire message" or "from"?

Yakman$
May 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM
When i performed a search before i would do it in the inbox and no matter where is was it would come up.... even if it was in the sent box it would come up..... something has changed.....

pm-r
May 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
When i performed a search before i would do it in the inbox and no matter where is was it would come up.... even if it was in the sent box it would come up..... something has changed.....

I had the same problem, I'm still a Eudora user and trying to get used to Mail, and it was my own fault that I wasn't selecting the correct options.

It now works regardless of which Mailbox is selected if I remember to select them again when I do another search later on.
The 'search' settings don't always seem to stick.

This is what works for me:

broad
May 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
When i performed a search before i would do it in the inbox and no matter where is was it would come up....

i think youre mistaken. i have been using mail exclusively for years now and have never once seen the behaviour you describe.

Yakman$
May 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
i think youre mistaken. i have been using mail exclusively for years now and have never once seen the behaviour you describe.

I to have been using it for year and never had this problem before... Type in the search and no matter what folder the email was in it would come up... I think i could even type something from the body and it would still come up... Not sure why its not working something has definitely change :confused:

krs
May 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I never had the problem with Mail searches that you describe and I have been using Apple Mail and that search for years.
Possible that something in the Mail application became corrupt.

To answer your original question - as far as I know there is nothing other than the search options across the top of the Mail window to customize the searches.
Maybe shut down and restart Mail....or if that doesn't change anything, even consider re-installing Mail.
What version of Mail are you on?

Yakman$
May 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Version 4.5 (1084)

and the rest

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.57f17

Ill try to reinstall thanks

pm-r
May 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I don't know if you're using Apple Mail with any POP or IMAP accounts and your 'search' problem shouldn't matter, but you could try setting up a new 'testuser' account, and setup the same accounts you're using and having the problem with (and make sure to leave any messages on the server) and do some 'search' tests and see if they work.

My experience has been that any Apple Mail problems are usually to do with the actual user's Mail settings and accounts preferences etc. rather than the actual Mail application - just to save Trashing and re-installing the Mail application. But be aware of any non-Apple third party software that might be part of your Mail 'search' problem.

If your Mail account settings and stuff work when logged in and using the 'testuser' account then you'll know that the Mail application isn't the cause of the problem.

But a proper Trash and a clean re-install of the application and any possible updates doesn't take too long to do.

mkolesa
May 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM
doesn't really seem likely that an application, especially one that's part of the original install became corrupt so i'm with pm-r that i'd try other things first... a simple restart of the os often can 'fix' weird behaviours, and removing the plist files is also an option... a run of maintenance or onyx is also not out of the question... and then there's the internal mail helpers like the rebuild mailboxes command.

krs
May 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Since Yakman has used Apple mail for quite a while already, I assumed the obvious basic steps like restarting mail and restarting the OS etc. have already been done.
This problem sounds as if it started from one day to the next for no apparent reason, ie no change of mail settings or account changes etc.
If that is not true and there were changes made just before the problem started, then those should be looked at.

broad
May 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
do any of you others use mail? have you ever searched your inbox and had items in your trash show in the search results?

broad
May 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM
i just thought of something...are you maybe using a gmail IMAP account with an "all mail" folder you might have been searching?

krs
May 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
do any of you others use mail? have you ever searched your inbox and had items in your trash show in the search results?

Not that I ever noticed.

Items in the Mail Trash account do show up if I search "all mailboxes" (the way they should).

I typically use the search feature of mail several times a day, never notived a problem but that doesn't mean it may not exist.

pm-r
May 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Yup. Just tried it again to test.

Two ISP cable POP accounts in use. No Gmail.

Opps. I just noticed that the "All Mailboxes" was selected.

pm-r
May 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Wowch!!! I seems that the OP isn't the only one to have the trouble!!

I just did a Google search on 'Apple Mail search not working' and all kinds of hits and various solutions the OP may want to check out.

Some solutions were to do with Spotlight preventing the search and others found a mailbox rebuild sometimes worked.

krs
May 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
If one selects a specific mailbox to search in, that mailbox name will not be listed in the search results (obviously since each message would be listed as being in that mailbox)
If one searches "All Mailboxes" then the mailbox each search result appears in will be listed.

This will make it very time consuming to test for this question since one would have to open every search result and then determine if that mail message was actually in the inbox or in the trash.

I think at least some of the issues that are mentioned in this thread are a result of not using the Mail Search correctly.

krs
May 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Wowch!!! I seems that the OP isn't the only one to have the trouble!!

I just did a Google search on 'Apple Mail search not working' and all kinds of hits and various solutions the OP may want to check out.

Question is - are these valid issues with the search in Apple Mail or do people not know how to use the mail search function properly?

broad
May 26th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Question is - are these valid issues with the search in Apple Mail or do people not know how to use the mail search function properly?

ding ding ding

Funkynassau
May 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I"m impressed! I didnt even know this option existed! So I tried it and it works! Thanks so much for bringing this up.