: Micro$loth and System resources

CubaMark
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM
So, like, is it normal for MS-Word to take up 32.1% of resources (while idling in the background)?

M

Chealion
Jun 15th, 2003, 01:00 AM
I don't think so... I was running word, and checking process viewer (the gui version of top) it only peaked at 5% CPU and 3% memory usage. Although my computer may be better then yours (Clamshell iBook vs. QuickSilver 2002) I honestly don't believe that the 32% should be normal. Are you sure Word wasn't doing any processes behind your back?

jfpoole
Jun 15th, 2003, 01:21 AM
I've seen a fair number of applications use 10-15% of the CPU for no apparent reason. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 is the best example I can think of off the top of my head, but I've seen other applications do the same thing.

So, to answer your question, is it normal? I think so, yes. I've no clue how to correct it, though.

dthompson101
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Here is an article that you may find usefull from Mac OS X Hints (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20011204020547997&query=office)

Might have some insight for you there. The best way to control their massive CPU cycles is to toss their crap in the trash and never install it again.

TextEdit is what I like personally. It's a powerfull little text application....and it's free!!!

CubaMark
Jun 15th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks, dt101, I'll give those hints a try.

I also make frequent use of AppleWorks and BBEdit, but when dealing with publishers and manuscripts, Word is the requirement.

...not that it's easy to live with.... I could tell you horror stories....

M.