: New iMacs tomorrow? New processors, Thunderbolt. Screen size?

ehMax
May 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
So, many of the rumors sites have reported that tomorrow will be the day that Apple does a refresh to their iMac line.

The rumours are a new generation of Intel's Core i processors as well as Apple's new high-speed port Thunderbolt.

Reports are that the verdict is still out on whether we'll see increased screen sizes or updated video performance.

Reports from Apple Stores are that employees have been told to show up in the wee hours of the morning for a "visual night" which is code to show-up so help setup the store for new product.

Will be interesting to see how Apple handles the Canadian price if there is a refresh. With the Canadian dollar trading at about $1.05 US, will we at least see the Mac priced at par to the US?

Stay tuned and join the discussion on ehMac.ca tomorrow if there are any announcements. :)

Tech Elementz
May 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
I hope these iMacs will hopefully come out with a bigger refresh... Perhaps diffrerent screen sizes.... Maybe we should have 24" and 30" screens for our iMac. Maybe I am just asking too much for this refresh... Got an iMac last June and I will probably upgrade it 4-6 years from now...

Mayor, will you be planning to get one of these refreshed iMacs if it will be out for sure?

mguertin
May 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I predict same screen sizes, same form factor, thunderbolt, small speed bumps for video performance, updated processors w/ update chipsets. If we're lucky a FSB bump too. All-in-all the same as the last several iMac refreshes :) As for pricing I doubt anything will really change due to the stronger dollar.

ehMax
May 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I hope these iMacs will hopefully come out with a bigger refresh... Perhaps diffrerent screen sizes.... Maybe we should have 24" and 30" screens for our iMac. Maybe I am just asking too much for this refresh... Got an iMac last June and I will probably upgrade it 4-6 years from now...

Mayor, will you be planning to get one of these refreshed iMacs if it will be out for sure?

Not until this summer the earliest. I lease my 20" iMac which is due this summer. I guess it depends a little how the site is doing for me. :o

To be honest, I'm pretty happy with the 20" iMac I have right now.

fyrefly
May 3rd, 2011, 02:39 AM
I predict same screen sizes, same form factor, thunderbolt, small speed bumps for video performance, updated processors w/ update chipsets. If we're lucky a FSB bump too. All-in-all the same as the last several iMac refreshes :) As for pricing I doubt anything will really change due to the stronger dollar.

+1, except for a (probably unfounded) hope on price-parity (or close).

There won't be new form-factors, but Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt are a lock.

Interesting that the MBP refreshes in February put the 15"/17" models on par with some Mac Pro towers. These Sandy Bridge iMacs (at least on the 27"ers) should outperform the 15" MBPs, so will they really blow the Mac Pro's out of the water?

The_E
May 3rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
It's 4am and the Apple Store is offline. I wonder if they're updating it with the new iMacs? :) I'm hoping for a Mac Mini refresh as well….. I

Digikid
May 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Lets leave the speculation on new ports and stuff until APPLE ANNOUNCES IT shall we?

No sense setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rubble
May 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
6:53 am on Tuesday morning in Ft. McMurray and the new iMacs are up on the Apple Canada site. Quad core, Thunderbolt, no new sizes.

Rub

Joker Eh
May 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Apple iMac page updated.

Paddy
May 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Prices in Canada the same as in the US. :D

crawford
May 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Prices in Canada the same as in the US. :D

So you mean that prices are still higher in Canada? ;)

markw
May 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm not seeing any price, when I click on it, there's an error, maybe they realized they had US prices on the site and now they are in the process of fixing them... "Fixing Prices"..... hmmmm

Joker Eh
May 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
I'm not seeing any price, when I click on it, there's an error, maybe they realized they had US prices on the site and now they are in the process of fixing them... "Fixing Prices"..... hmmmm

Go to Tech Specs page.

Joker Eh
May 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
I wonder if they will update the Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) with a thunderbolt port so you can daisy chain.

ehMax
May 3rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Lets leave the speculation on new ports and stuff until APPLE ANNOUNCES IT shall we?

No sense setting yourself up for disappointment.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :-( :lmao: :lmao:

You do know what site this is right? :)

Asking Mac geeks not to speculate on new product announcements, that's a good one. You're funny. ;)

ehMax
May 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Apple iMac page updated.

Holy cow... I blinked and I missed the update!

Joker Eh
May 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Would you wait until Lion comes out and get it preinstalled?

fyrefly
May 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Would you wait until Lion comes out and get it preinstalled?

Not sure why you'd wait. Lion might get released at WWDC in June, but it might now until later in the Summer also. It would suck to wait two-three months to buy a $1500+ new computer just to save $100 or less on an OS, IMHO.

MacGenius
May 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Best part of the update... Parity pricing with the US. Finally, Apple got the message. Now if they could just do this for the rest of the product line...
Next: bring on the new redesigned Mac Pros!! (desktop and server combined!!)

tilt
May 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
No i7, only i5? Was that always the case with iMacs? The MBPs come with an i7 option, why not the iMac?

Cheers

Joker Eh
May 3rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
No i7, only i5? Was that always the case with iMacs? The MBPs come with an i7 option, why not the iMac?

Cheers

Add on option, go to Buy and you will see. All iMac's come standard with i5.

MacGenius
May 3rd, 2011, 09:55 AM

Cheers

the i7 is a custom order option through the Apple.ca store. Just sold my previous 27" iMac, in the process of ordering a new one...
That will be a new iMac, new 27" Cinema Display, new MacBook Pro and iPad 2 inside of 3 months. I gotta stop myself ;)

ehMax
May 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
As expected, new iMac's announced (https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/94654-apple-releases-new-imac-quad-core-processors-graphics-thunderbolt-i-o.html#post1090967).

Let's discuss the actual announcement in this thread (https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/94654-apple-releases-new-imac-quad-core-processors-graphics-thunderbolt-i-o.html#post1090967).