: iPhone weirdness

spiffychristian
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM

WCraig
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Have you loaded any new apps recently? Certain ones--badly programmed or really obsessive about location--can blaze away in the background.

Try shutting down your iPhone and only use Apple-supplied apps for a bit. See if your battery usage seems normal.

Craig

Elric
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Mine has been eating Battery like crazy lately too, WAY more than normal... not Hot yet though...

Joker Eh
Apr 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Maker sure you go into the multi-task area and delete all apps and then see what happens. I have had this happen to me, the iphone will shut down with it gets to hot so to save itself and I was using the Future Shop app when it first came out.

hayesk
Apr 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Maker sure you go into the multi-task area and delete all apps and then see what happens. I have had this happen to me, the iphone will shut down with it gets to hot so to save itself and I was using the Future Shop app when it first came out.

The multitask area is a recently used apps area, NOT a multitask area. Those apps are not necessarily running - with the exception of real multitasking apps, they're either not running at all or suspended. Only certain apps are allowed to multitask - audio, VOIP, and location apps. If you aren't running those, then it's not a background app causing the problem.

But the OP's problem was likely a bug. Something was running the CPU full-tilt - not necessarily a third party app.

Joker Eh
Apr 29th, 2011, 08:34 AM
The multitask area is a recently used apps area, NOT a multitask area. Those apps are not necessarily running - with the exception of real multitasking apps, they're either not running at all or suspended. Only certain apps are allowed to multitask - audio, VOIP, and location apps. If you aren't running those, then it's not a background app causing the problem.

Sorry you are wrong when you close an app, the app is given a certain amount of time to do tasks it needs to do. The last I checked I think it was 30 minute range. Some apps are faulty and continue to run without closing. Run an app and put it in your pocket, you will see what happens.

But the OP's problem was likely a bug. Something was running the CPU full-tilt - not necessarily a third party app.

What was running? If all apps were closed and like you say nothing can run in the background.

No multi-tasking eh? I beg to differ so does Apple.
Apple (Canada) - iPhone 4 - Multitasking done the right way (http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/features/multitasking.html)

Elric
Apr 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry you are wrong when you close an app, the app is given a certain amount of time to do tasks it needs to do. The last I checked I think it was 30 minute range. Some apps are faulty and continue to run without closing. Run an app and put it in your pocket, you will see what happens.

What was running? If all apps were closed and like you say nothing can run in the background.

No multi-tasking eh? I beg to differ so does Apple.
Apple (Canada) - iPhone 4 - Multitasking done the right way (http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/features/multitasking.html)

Mine was either Google Latitude (they updated their app to fix "battery drain issues", but I think it made it MUCH worse, it worked fine before) or the Canadian Tire App constantly downloading pdfs of their flyers...

(and yes, Google Latitude works all day every day, no time out... in the background)

Joker Eh
Apr 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
(and yes, Google Latitude works all day every day, no time out... in the background)

I wonder how they got around that. That is not supposed to happen.

Elric
Apr 29th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I wonder how they got around that. That is not supposed to happen.

I'm glad they did, the App is unusable without background updating