: how can i read the WordPerfect docs my work sends me???

ultra 8
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Maybe this is a switch question as I know another guy in the office who works from home and has an iMac. The problem is that doc that my employer sends me are Wordperfect (.wpd) and I am running Jaguar and can't open them. Aside from getting an old version of Wordperfect and running it in OS9, is there any other solution? I have Office and Appleworks, but can't seem to open them on those apps. Any suggestions before I start lagging behind and the Bill Gates supporters at work start to gloat?????

thanks
colin

elmer
Jun 4th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Your best bet is probably to get MacLink Plus software, although I haven't tried it myself. Costs around 50 bucks, sorry.

Britnell
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:23 AM
have work send the files in RTF format. I have wp (it is a free d/l now) and it works fine in Classic, but it has NOT been updated for over 6 years, so if work is sending you the latest version of WP Windblows, you may not have better success with WP mac.

I am surprised to hear that Word will not open the file...

MACSPECTRUM
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:32 AM
if you don't need the formatting but just the text, have them send you the files in "text only" format

any word processing program can open those files

Lawrence
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I used to use B.B.Edit to read wordperfect files, Although since I downloaded the free version of "Corel WordPerfect 3.5 Enhanced" I haven't needed to use B.B.Edit.

I'm not sure if Corel WordPerfect 3.5 Enhanced will work in OSX.

http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/010212.html

I just tried to get it again and the link at lowend mac dead ended at corel, Looks like they aren't giving it away free anymore :(
D. :cool:

elmer
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:25 PM
BTW, I am NOT surprised that neither v.X nor AppleWorks will open the file - I have the same experience with WordPerfect files from my Dad (latest version) and older files from when I used to use WordPerfect.
Although, I was a little surprised when it happened to me redface.gif
In fact, they also will not open files that WordPerfect saves as Word files (.doc).

Mississauga
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM
If anyone can e-mail a .wpd to me, I'll gladly try to open it in Open Office - haven't tried one yet.

mississaugaATmacDOTcom

archangel
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I'm not familiar with OSX. Is there no such thing as a file exchange control panel to tell it to translate the way you want it to? I was surprised when I moved up to OS9 that I had to do it myself, that it wasn't automatic like previous versions.