: hmmm, is this possible?

M. Warren
Jun 4th, 2003, 04:50 AM
I have a B&W G3 with a zip drive in it that I rarely use, but need to hold on to for the occassional transfer. I also have to hard drives installed inside the box already.

Would it be possible to pull the zip out and put it into a firewire enclosure therefore freeing up space for a 3rd hard drive inside?

(Why not just get a firewire HD? I actually already have one that is great for backup purposes, but I find there is a bit of lag and performance issues when using it to record to in ProTools as compared to my internal drive. Ideally, I want to put that 60gig drive inside the computer and get a 100gig for backup, just so you know.)

So is this Zip transplant possible?

sputnik
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:43 AM
As far as I can see my B&W holds 3 HDs on the rack in the bottom.Yours only has room for 2?

M. Warren
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear,

I can physically fit 3 drives but can only connect 4 drives at once (which right now is 2 HDs, 1 Zip, and 1 CDRW drive). If I want to add a 3rd HD, I have to remove the Zip.

sputnik
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Will these machines only support 2 HD on that IDE?Why not install the third drive in the bay and replace the cable for 3?
Maybe I'm wrong here but I've done it on mine.

MacDoc
Jun 4th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Makes more sense to buy an ata card then get speed and more drive capacity as an external FW case will cost about the same.

M. Warren
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Well I wouldn't have to buy anything at all if this is possible (the 100gig FW drive I mentioned in the 1st post is not needed immediately). I have an external FW drive that I want to swap out the HD for the internal Zip. I know it seems kind of pointless, but my next powermac will likely hot have the internal zip drive and I'm just future-proofing myself (albeit through a series of baby steps).

I've never done any HD installations but it looks easy enough. I just want to know if this is possible at all.

Sputnik, I don't really understand your second post. I still want to have occassional access to the Zip drive so I don't want to just disconnect it and leave it dormant in there. (Does that make sense?)

I'd like to have 3 HDs within my G3 and a Zip drive in a FW enclosure. What I don't know is will my existing enclosure hold a Zip drive.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

sputnik
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Sorry I was a little confusing wasnt I?

Here is what I wanted to say-
I have had all this hooked up at once
3 HDs-40/4/4 all on one ATA cable
CD/ZIP on another ATA

No problems.Pick up the right ATA and try it out.
Couple of bucks and it just might work.

andreww
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:15 PM
I recently did just what you suggested. The HD in the ZIP bay works great. I have cloned my drive to it and have found that my G3 runs much quiter from it. (that annoying processor chatter has virtually stopped). As for speed I have not noticed any difference, although I am told the Bus speed of that IDE is only 66mhz as opposed to the 100mhz that the other drives are connected to. In my case it was well worth doing. As for you, a FW enclosure would likely cost more than the cost of a used external unit, so I'd rethink that idea.

MacDoc
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:17 PM
"3 HDs-40/4/4 all on one ATA cable" - not in this lifetime or physical universe you didn't. tongue.gif

sputnik
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Why not? smile.gif

andreww
Jun 4th, 2003, 04:22 PM
MacDoc see my post above. Why would my G3 run quiter using the other IDE bus?

MacDoc
Jun 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM
ata/ide is limited to two devices......full stop period. You might have three volumes but not three physical devices on the bus
Now a scsi narrow can have 6 and ultra scsi 15 devices but ata or ide = 1 or 2
Th th th that's all folks
http://www.thezodiac.com/LOONEY.gif

Quieter because it's got better enclosing structure - the bottom plate amplifies the drive chatter

M. Warren
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM
so.....is this possible? graemlins/heybaby.gif

bmovie
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM
I used to have 3 drives in my G3 B&W Rev. A

Two on the bottom, and one in the Zip bay. I took the one out of the Zip bay to put in a Zip drive and also someone told me that the heat from the HD could ruin the CD above. And that's that. So yes you could replace the zip with a harddrive. I did.

MacDoc
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Yep three drives with one int he Zip bay is fine - just put the smallest one there.

M. Warren
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Good, but can I put a Zip drive (that was in the mac) into the firewire enclosure?

Thats the part I'm not too sure about.

Thanks again though