: Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 released

CubaMark
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Adobe Unveils Creative Suite 5.5 | Product News | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/adobe_unveils_creative_suite_5.5/)

Adobe listens to Apple, reluctantly - Computerworld Blogs (http://blogs.computerworld.com/18108/adobe_listens_to_apple_reluctantly)

mguertin
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Egads, another CS update? These guys are really starting to annoy me, talk about a money grab.

You know your software is overpriced when you have to offer a Subscription/Rental plan for your applications!

Max
Apr 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, gonna adopt a wait and see stance on this one. Seems I just upgraded to CS5, although that's not true.

Not too terribly keen to be paying these bozos money on a monthly basis. Also not at all certain that 5.5. offers much in the way of real-world improvements for what I do.

I'll pass for now. Although the one thing intriguing me is the ability to rent fully updated software for those months when I'm working and just pass on it when I'm between gigs. Maybe once CS6 is here... or 7!

Paddy
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yikes...$399 for the upgrade? And the ONLY stuff I might use would be in Dreamweaver?

Methinks I'll wait.

MacGuiver
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I think the comments on this thread shed some light on why adobe is going subscription. Its getting harder and harder for them to introduce features in newer versions compelling enough to justify the $$$ they're charging. People are just sticking with their CS3, 4 and 5 because it does all they need. If they can shift users to a subscription service, innovations don't need to be so innovative to still make some cash. You gotta pay each month or annually just to use the same features you've been using since CS1.
Just a thought.

Cheers
MacGuiver.

tendim
Apr 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Yikes...$399 for the upgrade? And the ONLY stuff I might use would be in Dreamweaver?

Keep in mind that $399 is the suite upgrade price, so you're stuck with upgrading everything, even if you don't need to. The upgrade for Dreamweaver alone is only $119.

Paddy
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Keep in mind that $399 is the suite upgrade price, so you're stuck with upgrading everything, even if you don't need to. The upgrade for Dreamweaver alone is only $119.

Yes, but I have CS5 Premium. You can't use a single upgrade for one component of the suite; you have to buy the full version of the individual app in order to use an individual application upgrade. I don't buy the single apps because I use enough of them that it would be far more expensive than buying the Suite.

The updates to Dreamweaver, while somewhat compelling, are not enough to make me want to spend $400 to upgrade the entire suite - or on the full version of Dreamweaver CS5.5, for that matter.

FAQ from Adobe on the various upgrade options and the subscription option:

FAQ | Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html)

tendim
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yes, but I have CS5 Premium. You can't use a single upgrade for one component of the suite; you have to buy the full version of the individual app in order to use an individual application upgrade. I don't buy the single apps because I use enough of them that it would be far more expensive than buying the Suite.

Oh yes, I understand that. I was just pointing out that the $399 for upgrading the entire suite is good, relative to upgrades to a single item. The caveat to the suite is that you are stuck with an all or nothing deal. In your case, DW is the only upgrade that may be worth it for you. But you'd be stuck upgrading everything if you wanted just those upgrades.

panzergruppe
Apr 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my CS5 production to CS5.5 Web. $399 may worth the money as I use mainly for Flash development...

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
It seems a bit early for adobe as they generally do 18 month cycles, not 12. But yeah, 399 not much given the amount of production the suite churns out in 12 months.

I use mainly flash, illustrator, and photoshop, dreamweaver less and less. That thing is getting far too bloated for me.

panzergruppe
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Dreamweaver 5.5 now support jQuery mobile which might a good thing for IOS.

It seems a bit early for adobe as they generally do 18 month cycles, not 12. But yeah, 399 not much given the amount of production the suite churns out in 12 months.

I use mainly flash, illustrator, and photoshop, dreamweaver less and less. That thing is getting far too bloated for me.

woodandbronze
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Interesting article about the trend to subscriptions:

Who wins as subscriptions for software, services take off? - Technology & Science - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/04/12/f-vp-misener-software-subscriptions.html)

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM

What are you using instead of dreamweaver? I'm still using deamweaver from CS4. It suits my needs fine but I know what you are saying about it being bloated.

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I generally prefer textmate these days. It's lightweight, has fantastic features for the money, and since I write code it rocks. It sort of reminds me of homesite from the old days.

I've begun playing a lot with eclipse as well. I can't say I've put it through a major project yet as I have with textmate.

Dreamweaver has some great features in many ways, but man I hate the way it railroads you in some ways, and it's s l o o o o w w w w w...

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I generally prefer textmate these days. It's lightweight, has fantastic features for the money, and since I write code it rocks. It sort of reminds me of homesite from the old days.

I've begun playing a lot with eclipse as well. I can't say I've put it through a major project yet as I have with textmate.

Dreamweaver has some great features in many ways, but man I hate the way it railroads you in some ways, and it's s l o o o o w w w w w...

I did Textmate for a quite some time, but the lack of direct FTP/SFTP integration became too much of a problem for me -- I was using other options for mounting SFTP shares (MacFUSE and Expandrive -- but they had their own issues that ended up becoming too problematic for me). That and the 2.x release of Textmate that has been in the works for years now but still hasn't seen the light of day kind of put me off of it. I found some bugs with it that I filed with them with the 1.x series a couple of years ago that never got addressed either which doesn't bode well with me. Their suggestions were along the lines of "Don't do things like that if there are problems."

I've switched to Coda these days, which has been fantastic for me. It doesn't do much in the way of hand holding but it works very very well for me needs.

Dreamweaver is painfully slow and it does some very strange things ... I'm more of a code by hand kind of person that WYSIWYG and the source code mode for DW was never great.

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM
never use integrated ftp, I prefer manual. But I'll look at coda and check it out.

WYSIWYG is useless to me, it never truly represents a browser accurately anyway. And using one always results in face slapping nads-crunchingly bad code anyway.

I do use dreamweaver for some stuff, call it, comfort food, like eating that tub of vanilla swiss almond hagen daz, even though you just know you shouldn't.

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I swore off manual ftp and having multiple copies of things a long time ago ... especially when you're working on projects with more than one coder ... it can turn into a big mess quickly. That said I do use git a lot these days, but I still prefer to open my files directly from the dev server. That's a good way to put the reason to not use WYSIWYG stuff and it's so true.

I don't use dreamweaver for anything anymore, thankfully. I had one client that insisted that I use it (they had used it to develop the site in 1998 and it still used a lot of templates) but they are no longer a client, so I'm no longer forced to maintain their heavily dated and extremely poorly coded site, yay! :)

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM
ah by panic. I see what you're talking about thanks.

Yes version control is important if you're working on teams.

Nick
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
For integrated FTP I'll use textMate with Transmit. Works really well.
Setting Up Upload On Save With TextMate and Transmit → Valhalla Island Archive (http://archive.valhallaisland.com/blog/2006/setting-up-upload-on-save-with-textmate-and-transmit/)

Otherwise I use Transmit 4's sync (which is really fast), or git.
Depends if I'm flying solo, or working with a group.
Even solo, I still use git for version control.

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I tried a few home brew type solutions for opening files from FTP with Textmate, but they all ended in hurt. Also doing things that way made it difficult to do project based stuff within Textmate. I dunno, but to me it just feels wrong to have to have multiple copies of anything in this day and age and to risk editing the wrong one, overwriting important changes, etc. I also find it very important to be able to drilldown through filesystem structures to ensure you are working on the correct file ... i.e. just what index.php is this one that I'm modifying?

I use git even when I'm working on something just by myself. The version control is essential for me (and being able to back out changes and the like). Also the branching is amazing. Having gone from CVS->SVN->git (with a small foray into the world of bitkeeper between CVS and SVN) it's all been positive steps in the right direction.

Coda basically has Transmit 4 built into it for the most part, which made it a no-brainer for me.

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I did Textmate for a quite some time, but the lack of direct FTP/SFTP integration became too much of a problem for me -- I was using other options for mounting SFTP shares (MacFUSE and Expandrive -- but they had their own issues that ended up becoming too problematic for me). That and the 2.x release of Textmate that has been in the works for years now but still hasn't seen the light of day kind of put me off of it. I found some bugs with it that I filed with them with the 1.x series a couple of years ago that never got addressed either which doesn't bode well with me. Their suggestions were along the lines of "Don't do things like that if there are problems."

I've switched to Coda these days, which has been fantastic for me. It doesn't do much in the way of hand holding but it works very very well for me needs.

Dreamweaver is painfully slow and it does some very strange things ... I'm more of a code by hand kind of person that WYSIWYG and the source code mode for DW was never great.

Slow for what exactly as I haven't experienced that, just curious as to your experience... but it does do some strange things and the WYSIWYG aspect has never worked... you still have to go and check every browser to make sure that you have cross platform compatibility. One thing I do like about Dreamweaver is the "navigation" function for when you have hundreds and hundreds of lines of code (especially CSS code) you can use it to quickly go and find the troublesome attribute and quickly fix it.

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks for this.

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Slow for what exactly as I haven't experienced that, just curious as to your experience... but it does do some strange things and the WYSIWYG aspect has never worked... you still have to go and check every browser to make sure that you have cross platform compatibility. One thing I do like about Dreamweaver is the "navigation" function for when you have hundreds and hundreds of lines of code (especially CSS code) you can use it to quickly go and find the troublesome attribute and quickly fix it.

Slow for everything. Opening large files, changing modes, anything type of FTP transfer, even typing. After you've used a modern text/code editing environment and then switch back to DW you'll notice a huge difference.

I'm not sure what navigation function you're talking about as I've not used that in DW .. but it sounds like something I use in Coda all the time. The shot I attached is navigating a css file.

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Slow for everything. Opening large files, changing modes, anything type of FTP transfer, even typing. After you've used a modern text/code editing environment and then switch back to DW you'll notice a huge difference.

I'm not sure what navigation function you're talking about as I've not used that in DW .. but it sounds like something I use in Coda all the time. The shot I attached is navigating a css file.

Hmm... Ok I haven't experienced this, but then again I wouldn't have anything to compare it against as I have been using Dreamweaver since version 3 when it was still Macromedia... other than Adobe GoLive which was a steaming pile of crap.... oh and of course Microsoft FrontPage which was an even bigger pile of steaming crap.

It sounds like I should check out Coda... the screen shot you provided looks like the navigation function in Dreamweaver. Actually Dreamweaver calls it Code Navigator as well... I was just going off of my fading memory... Thanks mg.

Dennis Nedry
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM
[deleted]

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM

frack the ftp on dreamweaver makes me want to run screaming. I -never- use it anymore unless I have to.

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
frack the ftp on dreamweaver makes me want to run screaming. I -never- use it anymore unless I have to.

On this front I do know what you are referring to... its ftp is extremely slow... If I have anything other than a few files to upload I just choose upload and then go onto doing something else or go have a break until it is done... not having used anything else I just figured it was my slow upstream connection.

Time to check out the competition...

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Oh, hey, that's cool.

I guess they won't bother fixing all the issues with After Effects CS5 on MP systems now, since they'll just roll the updates out for CS5.5 instead. Wonderful.

If there is one software company on the planet that needs some good goddam competition, it's Adobe. I'm so sick and tired of their continual influx of bullshit. Photoshop gained 3D features (which are totally useless), but they haven't even added the ability to change the order in which layer FX are applied or added the ability to enter in equations into ANY text field (ie, typing "512+256" would autoeval to 768- Illustrator and AE do this, Photoshop does not). Meanwhile, Illustrator still can't round a corner. You have to either buy a plugin to do this for you or resort to hackery with path offset.

Adobe needs some competition for PS and AI. Then maybe that would kick them off their lame ass high horse and actually do something worth buying an upgrade for.

Actually, come to think of it, if I knew of any alternatives for PS and AI (ie, something with layer FX- Pixelmator seems to forego this and shapes entirely), I'd just dump them entirely. And my life would be simpler for it.

-DN

The latest CS5.5 does not affect PS or AI... they remain CS5. I doubt you will see any real competition for PS or AI in the near future as for what they do best there is no real competition. Currently Adobe has this market cornered for advanced work.... at least as far as I know, which I am certain I could be proven to be wrong about as I am not as in touch with these things as I once was.

I just continue to use PS and AI as I know them very well and I don't need to re-learn much when the new releases come out. For me the down time relearning software at this point would be a detriment unless there was a really big pay off in terms of reduced cost and/or added functionality.

Paddy
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM
On this front I do know what you are referring to... its ftp is extremely slow... If I have anything other than a few files to upload I just choose upload and then go onto doing something else or go have a break until it is done... not having used anything else I just figured it was my slow upstream connection.

Time to check out the competition...

I use Dreamweaver a lot - though do a lot of hand-coding too and its FTP drives me absolutely bananas. If I had a dollar for every time it told me it was doing something (when it really isn't!) and refused to do whatever I'd just asked it to do, I'd be a millionaire.

I love Transmit - I've been using it for years. I love the fact that I can make code tweaks within it, without having to download the file and open it in another app - great for things like adding a line or two to an .htaccess file etc. I've been using Transmit for the FTP to a Joomla site I just took on - modifying the template and style sheets in Dreamweaver, but doing all the uploads via Transmit. I'm a newbie at Joomla and being very careful - each tweak gets uploaded to make sure I haven't broken anything (I've managed to break a few things and then had to fix them...oh joy - it's a very badly done site by a company that basically took a big pile of my client's money, threw up a really dreadful site - template is done in tables...UGH... and then stopped answering the phone or emails) and if I had to do it with Dreamweaver's FTP I'd be staring at the walls most of the day, waiting for it to finish. I may just start using it more, on sites where I'm the only person modifying things and check-in/check-out isn't an issue. I have a number of clients who do their own content updates using Contribute and a couple who use Dreamweaver, so I am a bit stuck using DW's FTP in those cases.

mguertin
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Well .. maybe (but don't count on it) they actually got around to replacing the horrible FTP stuff in the latest DW :) I dunno, but for me, first and foremost, if your authoring client can't download/upload the files you need to work on efficiently ... it pretty much puts it out of the running for my choice. That's why I ended up stopping using Textmate as well. It was only a partial solution for my needs.

groovetube
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I recall someone telling me of settings that made dreamweaver's ftp fly. I forgot about this I should ask and see if it works.

Paddy
Apr 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I recall someone telling me of settings that made dreamweaver's ftp fly. I forgot about this I should ask and see if it works.
Well, that must be one extremely well-guarded secret! Please let us know what you find out!

mguertin
Apr 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Well, that must be one extremely well-guarded secret! Please let us know what you find out!

It's probably toggling the PASV ftp settings (which may or may not work for you depending on your network setup). Just a guess.