: iPhone Data Usage

Chimpur
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm wondering how much data usage people actually use compared to what their cap is based on their contracts. I think I've used way less then my cap of 6GB over the past 8 months or so.

For my part I usually use about 3.25GB per month. And that includes a fair bit of tethering early on. I got this number by going into usage under the general settings and totalling up all the sent and received data and dividing that by 8 (the number of months I've had the phone)

So I voted for "Up to 4Gb"

cap10subtext
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Think I only hit 5 Gb once, that was a pretty exceptional circumstance.

Chimpur
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Once while tethering I went over 6Gb but that was my mistake for not turning tethering off while I downloaded some movies from the iTunes store overnight wile charging my iPhone! It cost me maybe $10 or $15 extra on my Telus bill that month!

vancouverdave
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Under 200mb per month, but never tether.

Now I have iflix and a wifi iPad so this may all change.

BlairT
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Once while tethering I went over 6Gb but that was my mistake for not turning tethering off while I downloaded some movies from the iTunes store overnight wile charging my iPhone! It cost me maybe $10 or $15 extra on my Telus bill that month!

i did this same thing, once

Lawrence
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
I use wi-fi a lot with my iPhone 4,
Cafe's and at home, Usage is minimal on my 3G,
Even though I have a miniscule 1 gb cap, I hardly ever use the full amount.

Chimpur
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I think its kind of misleading when they sell you the plans. They usually fail to mention that apps over 20Mb will refuse to download from the iTunes App Store. That can be kind of a pain. Say i was lost, decided to buy TomTom GPS while i was lost, but then it notifies me "opps, this app is too big! Go home and download it on your Mac! Good day!" I could see that souring someones view of things pretty quickly.

Paul82
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I have 6Gb, but generally only use 1.5-2... I have gone over 6 once... was using tethering as my primary internet connection while waiting for the condo internet to be installed... other times that I have tethered while traveling to avoid the ridiculous daily charges many hotels have for internet (Marriott wanted $20 a day!)

The G3 Man
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think its kind of misleading when they sell you the plans. They usually fail to mention that apps over 20Mb will refuse to download from the iTunes App Store. That can be kind of a pain. Say i was lost, decided to buy TomTom GPS while i was lost, but then it notifies me "opps, this app is too big! Go home and download it on your Mac! Good day!" I could see that souring someones view of things pretty quickly.

Thats why Jailbreaking fixes your phone.

Stephanie
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
When I got the 3Gs in '09 I signed up for the 6GB plan. Prior to that I had been using a 3G with no data plan. $30 seemed like a good deal. However... last month I used 13MB of data, and that's fairly typical for me. I just don't use much data. When my contract is over next summer, I'm going to see what's the dirt-cheapest plan I can possibly get. Or maybe convert to pay as you go.

DR Hannon
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
I have the 6 gig plan. I have only gone over 1 gig once in 8 months.

Andrew Pratt
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
I am at approx 100 megs most months. I have wifi at home and work so it's rare that I use the data plans.

Garry
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
I've hit 5gb a couple of times.. netflix and tethering.
Looking at all these comments make me laugh, remember when everyone freaked out because Rogers wasn't going to offer unlimited data, and rogers was talking out of their hat saying no one would use more than 1GB?

vancouverdave
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
When my contract is over next summer, I'm going to see what's the dirt-cheapest plan I can possibly get. Or maybe convert to pay as you go.

You can downgrade to the $10 plan any time you want. As long as you have 'data'. No?

Andrew Pratt
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Yes. I downgraded to the $10 flex rate plan.

racewalker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
You can downgrade to the $10 plan any time you want. As long as you have 'data'. No?
Yes I did a couple of months ago. I have wifi at home and a rocket hub at work so don't use hardly any data on my Iphone 4.

bshell
Apr 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I used to have the $30 6GB plan for about a year, but got the flex plan about half a year ago and have never paid more than $10 a month, which means I never go over 100MB. I use email and Facebook a lot over 3G, visit the odd website, and maybe watch a YouTube video or two. I use maps, weather, stock market, twitter, check a few news apps, but that's about it. I don't do tethering anymore. I only ever did tethering and got up to several hundred MB once or twice during the entire year I had the 6GB plan, when I stayed at hotels. I don't think I ever hit 500GB in a month. If I know I want to do large downloads, I can wait till I'm on wifi someplace.

Niteshooter
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Have the basic 500mb plan and so far have not gone over 300mb in a month.

I have wifi at home, work and our favorite eatery so that helps plus the only thing I use 3G phone so far has been facebook and supposedly that is free..... or at least that is what I read about my contract. (free social networking...)

Any downloads are done at home or work so that probably helps a lot.

What I would buy is an iPhone with more internal storage.

MomentsofSanity
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
My usage has shot up since I bought a house in the country. Only High Speed options are Rogers Hub or satellite and like a fool I went with the Hub. WIth three kids the slower speeds but high usage allotment makes satellite so much more appealing now. Because I'm stuck on the Hub I tether my laptop to my phone when at home. Now that I picked up the iPad 2 my usage is going to go up further. I've been averaging around 3GB per month but I'm over that now with another 11 days left in my billing cycle. Of course I'm about to return the iPad and wait for the screen issue to be resolved so I'll get a reprieve for a bit!

Might have to bite the bullet, pay the cancellation for the Hub and switch to satellite anyway.

corey111
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Iíve gotten close to the 6GB quite a few times, especially when traveling.
The 6GB data plan is great if you travel, I use it to tether to my macbook pro and it works flawlessly... Unless of course I find myself in Northern ONT or in the Rockies.... then there is no reception.
The $30 - 6GB is great, my voice plan is $25... yet my bill comes out to $85.... This means Rogers is sticking a fist in me with extra fees.... Thatís what they need to fix.

Chimpur
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm really surprised at how little data people use around here!

polywog
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm really surprised at how little data people use around here!

I consume tons, but I prefer to save it for when I'm on Wifi, and save my data plan for when I need it, though I'm sure tethering is going to change 3G usage quite a bit.

Chimpur
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have a 60Gb cap on my internet that gets eaten up by Netflix and downloading tons of stuff lol! So to get a potential 6Gb off of that by only using 3G on my iPhone sometimes helps out a bit.