: 6 Gig plan

bouche
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
What happens when the original 6 GB plan ends this July? Will we still get to renew at 6 GB?

Dr T
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
Details, please.

jtmac
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
bouche, if you're in the same boat as I am, you have a three-year contract on an iPhone 3G with $30 6Gb data ending in July?
I too am wondering how Rogers will handle the monthly charges after the expiry date.
I didn't HUP to iPhone4 at two years and am waiting for iphone5 now ...

bouche
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
I upgraded to iPhone 4 and looking at my monthly, it shows the original contract ending in July. I'm hoping for clarification from a real person rather than a sales/support person.

bouche
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Details, please.

Rogers 6GB 3G Smartphone Data Plan Ends on August 31st | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-carriers/rogers-6gb-3g-smartphone-data-plan-ends-on-august-31st/)

This plan is due to expire....wondering if it extends, or if I will end up with a new cap and rate.

KMPhotos
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens, especially if Apple does delay the iPhone 5 release.
Rogers only allows the 6GB plan on 3 year contracts, so if you're still on the original 3G contract, this could become a problem if there is a delay.
Odds are Rogers will bring back the 6GB plan as they always do with the release of new iPhones, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Paul82
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I thought standard practice was to convert to month to month with the same terms, I upgraded to the iPhone 4 with fido and the plan stacked so my new contract hasn't even started yet... That said I don't think Rogers is really rushing to get people off of the 6gb plan. Almost no one I know regularly uses much more than 2gb... I ususally use 1.5 while most of my friends rarely go over a couple hundred megs.

KMPhotos
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rogers 6GB 3G Smartphone Data Plan Ends on August 31st | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-carriers/rogers-6gb-3g-smartphone-data-plan-ends-on-august-31st/)

This plan is due to expire....wondering if it extends, or if I will end up with a new cap and rate.

Rogers has always reintroduced the 6GB plan with the launch of each new iPhone. Will likely be the same when iPhone 5 eventually gets released. Not a guarantee, but likely.

KMPhotos
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
I thought standard practice was to convert to month to month with the same terms, I upgraded to the iPhone 4 with fido and the plan stacked so my new contract hasn't even started yet... That said I don't think Rogers is really rushing to get people off of the 6gb plan. Almost no one I know regularly uses much more than 2gb... I ususally use 1.5 while most of my friends rarely go over a couple hundred megs.

See, and I was told by Rogers, the 6GB plan is only available on 3 year contracts, not month-to-month.
But I guess it sort of makes sense that if you have it, and then don't renew contract, you'll still have same plan just month-to-month.
My guess is what Rogers was really telling me was you can't set up a new month-to-month contract with the 6GB plan.

jtmac
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
My guess is what Rogers was really telling me was you can't set up a new month-to-month contract with the 6GB plan.

KM, that's what I'm hoping for right now.
I could go month-to-month with the same rates as my 3-year contract, and upgrade to iPhone5 when it comes out.
If Rogers won't allow that, then I might just HUP to the iPhone4 before my expiry date, If they let me keep my rate plans and renew for three more years.

John Clay
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM

It's your data contract that's expiring, not the plan.

If they handle it like they've handled nearly every other discontinued plan, then you'll be able to continue using it until you don't want it.

HowEver
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
The 6GB plan will absolutely be continued for you on a month to month basis. Note that you have a contract for your monthly phone plan, and the data plan is separate, but has an 'agreement' attached to it as well.

Keep in mind that if you have upgraded your phone since starting a three-year plan, you probably extended the data plan to go with it.

Both phone plan and data plan continue month to month after the end of their terms End of.

greensuperman32
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
How many of you use even half of the 6GBs each month?

vancouverdave
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Well I finally used over 250 mb thanks to iflix.

Snowy
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
If I remember correctly from being with Rogers for many years, once you have the plan (being mins or data), they won't take it away from you unless you want to change it.
I'm hoping that's still their policy as I also have a 6GB plan that supposedly expires in August.

Hasn't anyone out there that has bought a iPhone 4 renewed to a 3 year term yet using their old 6GB plan?

I think that's all that Rogers wants is a multiple year commitment and they'll go along with your old plan.

greensuperman32
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
I used to have this plan when I was with Robbers, then I finally had enough and bolted for telus. I almost never used more than 1GB per month tho so it was kind of pointless to hold on to that 6GB for dear life. Now I pay $30 less per month with telus than I did with Rogers.

Mckitrick
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Does it matter that the referenced link dates back to August 2008?

bouche
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hasn't anyone out there that has bought a iPhone 4 renewed to a 3 year term yet using their old 6GB plan?

Yes, I did that. My bill used to say that the 6GB plan was "expiring July 2011" but now it states "Data Service Plan 6GB  Limited Time Offer"

Elric
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I used to have this plan when I was with Robbers, then I finally had enough and bolted for telus. I almost never used more than 1GB per month tho so it was kind of pointless to hold on to that 6GB for dear life. Now I pay $30 less per month with telus than I did with Rogers.

My girlfriend left Robbers for Telus due to price as well, now she pays the same but has no service at home, work or the beach...

bmmr
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
How many of you use even half of the 6GBs each month?

With the new Personal hotspot option on the Iphone 4, I use about 4GB a month

fyrefly
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
With stuff like Firesheep running around, hijacking data on Public Wifi networks, I constantly tether with my phone, and easily use 2-3GB a month, more if I'm pushing it.

bouche
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
With the new Personal hotspot option on the Iphone 4, I use about 4GB a month

There's little doubt that I'll be tripling my data usage with the ipad and tethering. It's a great device to take to work where there is no wifi network. I haven't decided if it'll be a distraction or a resource. Maybe a bit of both.