: What am I doing wrong? Wifi not working on Mac Pro and iPad!

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I paired my iPad with my computer. I set up all the stuff in "sharing" Bluetooth, and network on my Mac Pro. (which is the newest one, the 2.8)

SO do I need to buy airport or is it built into my mac pro? I do not have a separate airport box. DO I need to get one?

Wifi does not work. My iPad can recognize the wifi network, but I get a box telling me that I am not connected to the net when I open safari or any other app that needs a net connection. I get the wifi icon on my iPad 2 and the spinning thingy to indicate that it is trying to connect to the net.

I can setup a personal hotspot using my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. That works.

Fixed,,,,,,woohoo

keebler27
Mar 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
sounds like you need a wireless network and for that you would need wireless router.
airport extreme is solid (as are other brands), but if you're all on mac, I would recommend it.

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, I am all mac. But Is my Mac pro (the newest one) have airport built in or do I have to buy a separate piece of equipment? (base station)

is airport extreme a wireless router and do I need to buy it or is it built into my Mac Pro?

hayesk
Mar 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I don't think Mac Pro's come with airport built in, so I don't think you can share your MacPro's Internet to your iPad. What you need is an Airport Extreme or other brand of wireless router. It is an external box that connects to your Cable or DSL modem, and then you run ethernet to your Mac Pro, and your iPad connects wirelessly.

thedarkhorse
Mar 26th, 2011, 05:52 PM
you need a wifi router.
-hook the wifi router up to your cable/dsl internet modem
-plug the mac pro into the wifi router
-set up the wifi router on the mac pro so you have a wireless network, instructions will come with the router.
-now you should be able to connect your ipad to your new wifi network w/ internet.

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I cant DO THAT!!!! I HAVE A CABLE WITH ETHERNET ENDS... WHERE IS THE CABLE WITH USB ENDS TO CONNECT THE ROUTER TO THE MAC PRO??????

THERE ARE NO SUCH CABLES IN THE ROUTER BOX!!!!

THERE IS ONLY 1 ETHERNET PORT ON THE MODEM, SO HOW DO I CONNECT IT TO THE ROUTER?????

thedarkhorse
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
you need a wifi router, go to the store and buy one!!!!

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I did that!!! I have airport express........

does airport connect wirelessly to the mac pro?????? (there is no cable to connect anything!!! I don't get it! these explanations are not specific

thedarkhorse
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Ethernet cable 1 from cable modem to airport express, Ethernet cable 2 from airport express to mac pro. 2 ethernet cables required

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ok I ge that but there is only 1 ethernet port on my modem and only 1 ethernet port on airport express..... so how does that work?

right now there is a ethernet cable going from modem to mac pro, thats it. There is not other ethernet port on my modem, so how do I connect it to the router? I thought its wireless, so why do i need a cable?

wtf??

thedarkhorse
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The airport express isn't a normal wireless router. Most normal wireless routers(airport extreme) have 1 ethernet in for the modem, then 4 ethernet ports out for attaching to computers. The airport express is meant only to connect wirelessly, so unless you have a built in airport card in your mac pro(which is a specific an extra option when ordering) then you can't connect to it. I don't see why your ipad shouldn't see the airport express though.

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
there is only 1 ethernet cable in this picture.
AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (Canada) (http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB321AM/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MTA4NTc4MTE)

Deathlok2001
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Ok, THANK you to everyone! I solved my problem. I went and got airport extreme with the extra ethernet jacks.....and its all good!

WOOHOO

Thanks!