: anybody have problems with Canon digital camera SW!!

rollee
May 15th, 2003, 02:29 PM
i experience a conflict between the *Canon Image Capture application, camera driver and mounter software with OS 9.2-G4. Without these i cannot download images into my os9 g4.
The first time I installed these, it wiped out all (over 3000) of my emails for no reason- so painful!
After deleting this IC application but leaving with the camera driver/mounter, the alias of my internet apps (explorer/outlook exp) in the apple menus crashes, i then disabled those canon drivers and restarted, all things returned back to normal.
i should also mention that under os x in iphoto (no canon apps, drivers, mounter etc) everything works good. anyone experience this? or knows how to fix this problem? rollee

D k Cornelius
May 15th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Do you have the latest version? With my latest camera, the little backup S400 digital elph, the software is now up to version 12.

Some of the apps can be downloaded from Canon.
(But when I moved to OS X last fall I had to buy the X version of PhotoStitch for a nominal fee. They took my credit card and mailed me a CD.)

I'm using the software in various installs on 9.1, 9.2.2 and OS X.
On the job I use this package on my PowerBook to import and stitch several hundred photos each week. So I'm very interested in keeping it working.

MacDoc
May 15th, 2003, 08:27 PM
It's way easier just ot use a card reader - they are cheap and plug and play - most camera software sucks

D k Cornelius
May 15th, 2003, 10:34 PM
if all you want to do is get the photos into the computer from the camera, then iPhoto should do the job for you, with no extra hardware. (In X at least, the Canon camera drivers are already installed. It's true plug and play.)

PCMCIA card adaptors for Powerbooks and card readers for everyone else are the cheapest options if you really need hardware to solve your driver problem.

As for the actual applications, one has to admit that the two primary bundled Canon applications, Imagebrowser and PhotoStitch, are great. Simple and powerful.

jlcinc
May 16th, 2003, 09:10 AM
It's funny that you ask this question now, I borrowed a Fuji camera to play with but forgot the software.

I plugged the non powered camera into the USB port on my G4/9.2.2 then powered the camera and a disc icon appeared on the desktop. I double clicked on it and all of my images were in a folder. No software. Used photoshop to open the files.

John

rollee
May 18th, 2003, 03:28 PM
i have disabled all those canon whatever files/drivers, will just activate them when i need to. thanks to all keep me posted.

rollee
May 18th, 2003, 03:32 PM
i had a fuji digi before, its no problems plug & play but cannot day the same for canon, or maybe its only me....

cmac
Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I need help installing the Imagebrowser for canon SD1000 elph -

It doesn't want to do anything when i double click the installer and go through the prompts; user agreement, location, etc.

A window appears with a striped status bar and a cancel button. The window reads, "Preparing to install..." and sits for up to 30 mins doing nothing. No progress.

What do I do ?? Help!

eMacMan
Sep 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
The Canon cameras want the proprietary software for OS 9. Like MacDoc said use a card reader. It will save you a lot of brain damage.

cmac
Sep 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Aside from the fact I will probably just end up settling for a card reader...

So you're saying it wont work? What does that mean that I have to run it on classic or something??

Thanks

eMacMan
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:54 PM
With a Canon Camera I would always use a card reader.

First move the card to the reader. If it is an SD card use the the slide lock so you cannot erase or add files via your computer.

In OS9 the reader will show up as an external drive. Just drag and drop, the original creation dates will be preserved.

In OSX use Image Capture as creation dates will be lost otherwise. Yes Image Capture will work with a card reader. Maybe Tiger has fixed the date bug but I don't know for sure.

After images are transferred and backed up, reinstall card in camera. Be sure to unlock it first. Then do a low level format from your camera. Some operating systems can corrupt memory cards if they are not locked. The low level format provides a little extra insurance and restarts the numbering order.

cmac
Sep 24th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks that helps.