: Kernel Panics (Office 2011)

Rounder
Mar 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Has anyone experienced kernel panics after installing Office 2011 (and actually using it). ???

My girlfriends 2010 Macbook has been having kernel panics... AppleCare replaced EVERYTHING in the laptop, and when she runs Word 2011, it'll usually get a kernel panic if it goes to sleep. It usually panics when we wake it up from sleep and Word is running.

We're fed up with these panics and she uses Word and Excel very often for schoolwork.

After months of this, I have narrowed it down to copy and pasting info in Word / Excel, and having the laptop go to sleep will cause a kernel panic.

Should I be bringing the laptop in for an exchange? As the logic board, RAM have already all been replaced and still didn't fix the problem...

juliia
Mar 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Has anyone experienced kernel panics after installing Office 2011 (and actually using it). ???

My girlfriends 2010 Macbook has been having kernel panics... AppleCare replaced EVERYTHING in the laptop, and when she runs Word 2011, it'll usually get a kernel panic if it goes to sleep. It usually panics when we wake it up from sleep and Word is running.

We're fed up with these panics and she uses Word and Excel very often for schoolwork.

After months of this, I have narrowed it down to copy and pasting info in Word / Excel, and having the laptop go to sleep will cause a kernel panic.

Should I be bringing the laptop in for an exchange? As the logic board, RAM have already all been replaced and still didn't fix the problem...

I have two macbooks, one recent pro and just the plastic models and both have the same issues.

Has she tried using iworks? Its not the same but that software has not caused any errors for me.

If it is office, exchanging the laptop wont do anything unless you plan on not putting office on the new one.

an expensive alternative is to get parallels, windows and office 2010. Parallels runs windows over mac so you can access everything at the same place.

yeeeha
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I have a pre-unibody Macbook Pro with Office 2011 installed. I use Word often and have used Excel a few times. No problem so far.

Here's an idea to see if the issue is due to the hardware or software. However, it is a time-consuming and pain in the butt exercise.

Back up all your files, email addresses etc. then wipe the hard drive clean. Install the OS and Office from scratch. Run Word and Excel a few times to see if you get more kernel panics. If not, install more apps and run Word and Excel again.

If you get kernel panics with only Office installed, what are the odds that the issue is with Office since you install it from an install disc. That could then suggests a hardware issue.

You mentioned that putting the Macbook to sleep could cause a kernel panic. Perhaps don't put the machine to sleep. Just set the LCD to sleep. I do that to my Macbook Pro. I set the machine never to go to sleep, only the display does.