: 20" Cinema Display Diagnosis.

Chas3
Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
It's not my video card, its powering the display seen beside it, and it has been tested on my Macbook Pro. Have any service professionals, or casual users seen this problem, and would any one be able to diagnose what's wrong with the display?

http://i.imgur.com/SmGJj.jpg

also...

>800 Dollars when purchased 1.5 years ago.
>8 year old 15" LCD Monitor still working, has been on every day for at least 10 hours.

Note: Supposed to be a joke, not a crack at Apple's quality control.

ChilBear
Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I do not have the ACD but here is a post with another ACD issue perhaps they are one and the same. This poster was looking at a flashing led. This comes from Apple Discussion Apple - Support - Discussions - Apple Cinema Display 23" - Blank ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2086442&start=15&tstart=0)

For those of you who don't want to spend +$100 on a 150W adapter may want to give this a try:

It turns out the middle pin in the power connector is a ground. When it read an incorrect voltage it makes the displays inverter turn off to protect the unit. One way to circumvent this is to cover the middle pin in the cord going from the monitor to the power brick. I used a piece of paper in the shape of a "W" covering just the middle pin. I double folded a piece of paper and folded it over the plug and down into the connector and then gently pushed the plug into the power brick. Once i did this the monitor popped on and all was good in the world...

I tried the fix that Jakobeon suggested and IT WORKED! It is a little tough to do, since the strip has to be very skinny to cover just the middle pin and nothing else, but worth trying for a bit. I could not get the paper to work as described though. The paper kept breaking when I slid the plug in. I decided to try thin plastic. Actually a sliver off the dvi converter that came with the mac. The plastic was strong and thin enough to work, but it did take a few tries to get everything in the right spot.

Jakobeon, whoever you are, you are a genius. Thanks. Saved me money and down time. From error, to discussion board, to fixed monitor was only about an hour.