: Problem with Trash

kloan
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I keep getting an error whenever I try to delete an avi that I've previously opened. The trash keeps telling me the file is in use, when it clearly isn't. I've erased and rebuilt the Trash directory using the Terminal, but it keeps happening.

Is there a fix for this? It's driving me nuts.

SINC
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Did you email a copy of the file? If so you have to quit Mail and THEN empty trash. This can also occur if the file was being used in another application as well (RapidWeaver for sure). Try quitting everything and then empty trash. If that doesn't do it, this tiny program will:

Download Force Empty Trash for Mac - Empty the trash when the Finder cannot. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10481/force-empty-trash)

jamesB
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
maybe just try selecting "Secure empty Trash" from the Finder menu selection,
This works for me whenever I get that very same message,

rgray
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I keep getting an error whenever I try to delete an avi that I've previously opened. The trash keeps telling me the file is in use, when it clearly isn't. I've erased and rebuilt the Trash directory using the Terminal, but it keeps happening.

Is there a fix for this? It's driving me nuts.

I had the same problem with a .avi last week. It deleted normally after a reboot.

kloan
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Did you email a copy of the file? If so you have to quit Mail and THEN empty trash. This can also occur if the file was being used in another application as well (RapidWeaver for sure). Try quitting everything and then empty trash. If that doesn't do it, this tiny program will:

Download Force Empty Trash for Mac - Empty the trash when the Finder cannot. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10481/force-empty-trash)
Nope, didn't email it.. it's happening randomly though, so next time it happens instead of using Terminal to wipe the directory, I'll try out the app you linked to, thanks. :)
maybe just try selecting "Secure empty Trash" from the Finder menu selection,
This works for me whenever I get that very same message,
I didn't want to try that because of the size of the file.. secure delete takes such a long time.
I had the same problem with a .avi last week. It deleted normally after a reboot.
I didn't try a reboot, guess that'll be the first thing I try next time. After deleting the directory with Terminal, Trash was acting funny, it wouldn't let me put anything in the Trash, only to delete it immediately. A reboot did fix that one though.

Oh the quirks of computers.... fun fun :)

Andrew Pratt
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I get that every now and then and just do a quick reboot to fix it.

Chimpur
Feb 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I get that every now and then and just do a quick reboot to fix it.

I'll third the reboot recommendation! I posted on here a while ago about deleting a file that was on my bootcamp (NTFS) partition through the mac and its issues. That stuff can get tricky!

PierreB
Feb 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
If you have Path Finder (a sooped up Finder application), use it to delete the trash. I have your problem in the past and this has worked.