: Mail

Breezy
Feb 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I have two Google a/c's and a Telus account set up in MAIL on my Macbook. I would like the messages to be deleted from the server once I have downloaded them to MAIL. I have checked the box "remove copy from server after retrieving message" and set it for right away but the messages are still sitting in the server and I am having to go in periodically to clean them out. Am I misunderstanding something? Is there something else I must do? Thanks!

monokitty
Feb 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Are they POP or IMAP accounts?

Breezy
Feb 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
They are POP accounts.

pm-r
Feb 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Gee, I would have thought that the recent versions of Apple Mail would have fixed that problem that a Google search on 'Mail remove copy from server after retrieving message not working' will show.

I don't normally use Mail, but maybe try setting each account's advanced settings to something you DON'T want, restart Mail, then set them to what you DO want, restart Mail and see if things work as expected.

Doing so should force the settings and plist to be updated.

Or use another email application to remove the email that DOES work. Even Eudora 6.2.4 still works for me the way I expect things to work - html being a bit of a weakness.

Breezy
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for trying to help. I did as you suggested. Even went as far as shutting down the computer after each change but the mail is still sitting at the server even though I have downloaded it, read it, trashed it and emptied it from trash. Not to worry. It isn't an earth shaking problem. Just one of those annoying things.:)

pm-r
Feb 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Well let's see if we can help get rid of that "annoying" thing and get it working as it should. ;=)

Is the trouble with ALL the accounts of just some of them?

What Mac model and OS version are you using?

There's also a remote chance that the Mail account has lost track of the accounts messages, and if you delete them with webmail the new messages may start to behave properly, but I have a feeling that you've already tried that.

Breezy
Feb 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM
pm-r - Sorry I am a bit late respomding.
I have a MacBook 5.2 purchased a year ago in November. OS is OSX 10.5.8. Leopard I think but not Snow Leopard.
Although I have the pertinent option checked under "Advanced" it is still leaving my mail at the server after I have downloaded the messages. I also have the option "Right Away" selected.
Maybe there is something I should be cleaning up. I know I always had to do those maintenance tasks with the PC but as a Mac user I am a work in progress ;) and I am definitely vague about what , if any, maintenance I should do with this MacBook.
Thanks!

Breezy
Feb 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
pm-r - Would you recommend Eudora as an alternative to MAIL? I see it says that the new versions are not supported for Mac. Does that mean anything as you appear happy with what you have? I could perhaps download a free version to try it before I buy. I am not all that in love with MAIL. It seems pretty basic to me.:(
Cheers!

pm-r
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
pm-r - Sorry I am a bit late respomding.
I have a MacBook 5.2 purchased a year ago in November. OS is OSX 10.5.8. Leopard I think but not Snow Leopard.
Although I have the pertinent option checked under "Advanced" it is still leaving my mail at the server after I have downloaded the messages. I also have the option "Right Away" selected.
Maybe there is something I should be cleaning up. I know I always had to do those maintenance tasks with the PC but as a Mac user I am a work in progress ;) and I am definitely vague about what , if any, maintenance I should do with this MacBook.
Thanks!

Breezy, make sure you set the advanced Mail settings for EACH account as it's not a single 'global' setting but separate for each account.

As for basic Mac maintenance you can do a lot with just two basic operations:
1. Boot up using 'Safe Boot Mode'. Boot the Mac from an Off or shut down mode and hold down the 'shift' key immediately you hear the startup chime and until you see the spinning gear. Select the admin user and password and log in. (Safe boot mode will purge a lot of surplus stuff and DO NOT save any that may show up in the Trash.)

2. Open 'Disk Utility' in the Utilities folder and select the boot drive and run the 'verify disk' and 'Repair Permissions'.

Then just restart normally.

A bit more intense method when things start going sideways and not working properly is to download the big 'Mac OS X 10.58 COMBO Update' from Apple's support site and then run it using the above 'safe boot' method and let it do its thing and DO NOT run any other software while its running and doing its restarts etc.

Then run 'Software Update' repeatedly until it says you're up to date. and then do the Disk Utility repairs and verify again.

And then do one more final restart.

pm-r
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM
pm-r - Would you recommend Eudora as an alternative to MAIL? I see it says that the new versions are not supported for Mac. Does that mean anything as you appear happy with what you have? I could perhaps download a free version to try it before I buy. I am not all that in love with MAIL. It seems pretty basic to me.:(
Cheers!

Breezy, I don't want to get too off-topic here and I really enjoy my 'original' Eudora 6.2.4, but as its not supported any more, I wouldn't recommend it for a new user to start using now. Heck, you'd be hard pressed to even get a registration number to enable its full 'paid' features.

The closest supported version that's close that I've seen is the 'Eudora OSE' version, and it even has Steve Dorner (the original developer) as part of the development team.

Most of the others 'Mail Forge' etc. haven't progressed very well and are limited in features IMHO.

BTW: I'm normally running 10.5.8 and even in 10.6.6 my Eudora version runs just fine on this 24" 2.4 GHz Intel iMac.

This Eudora is certainly NOT basic, but maybe a bit geeky with its multiple 'x-eudora-setting' ie: perfs if you like, that range from <x-eudora-setting:1> to <x-eudora-setting:14701> - just a few more that Apple's Mail and others, which translates to at least a few hundred or so!!!

CubaMark
Feb 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Eudora, how I love thee.... but I have to let you go... and recommend that Breezy stay far, far away from you :( We have no guarantee that Eudora (of which version 6.2.4 (http://www.eudora.com/email/features/mac/) currently does work in Snow Leopard) will continue to work when Lion comes out this summer... so many of Eudora's dedicated fanatics are now looking for other options.

Just want to clarify what pm-r noted... there is a "Eudora OSE (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE)" out there, but it's just another port (skin) of Thunderbird, which you may or may not like.

As for me, I jumped in early on the MailForge (http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/blog/index.html) (formerly known as Odysseus) bandwagon, buying a pre-beta license. I have doubts I'll ever see that money realized, as MF is now at version 2.0.xomething and remains pretty much useless.

My current plan, in the next month or so, is to finally make the move completely to Mail (http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/mail-ical-address-book.html). If I'm going to use something, it might as well be nicely integrated with Mac OS X and all the other iApps...

Personally, I'd say stick with OS X Mail.

pm-r
Feb 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Well my Mac Qualcomm registered 'paid mode' Eudora is still a long way from being dead for myself and others (check macintouch and the tidbits site threads etc. for other avid Eudora users) and it won't be until the fat lady actually dies and can't sing any longer.

Just like our old HP 4ML Laserjet, Mac serial connected ApppleTalk and networked setup printer that still just works even for any 10.6.6 MBP or iMac user - and including any wireless printing access and many other "unsupported" applications.

And I still use the most recent versions of Mail just for comparison as well as my $$ support and registration for the Odysseus project that still works with their latest MailForge version, and that investment may prove more valuable than the 333x+ price we paid for a certain Canadian diamond stock purchase some years ago!!!

Bottom line: Eudora ain't dead - if it still works, but as I mentioned, using the Qualcomm version of Eudora would NOT be my recommendation for any recent Mac OS X user that's considering an alternative to Apple's Mail app in their recent OS X version.

Breezy
Feb 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much for everyone's input. I will stick with boring old MAIL for now I guess.:)
pm-r - thank you for the maintenance instructions. I have printed them off and I am going to do that right now. How often do you recommend the first option?
Thanks again everyone.

pm-r
Feb 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Basically just do the suggested 'maintenance' routine when things start going goofy, and/or the Mac seems to be slowing down. It seems to work for many Mac OS X users.

For those running 10.4.x or below, a lot of "Rescued" folders may show up in the Trash - DO NOT SAVE THEM, and just empty the Trash.

Breezy
Feb 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thank you!. I did the basic maintenance and did not have to do any "repairs" so all is well. My MAIL is still not clearing the server but not a big deal. One day maybe....
Cheers and thanks again to all.

pm-r
Feb 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure if you actually ran 'Disk Utility' to 'repair' and 'verify' the selected boot drive or not.

If not, I would strongly suggest that you do, especially when the problem is to do with an Apple installed application.

Breezy
Feb 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
pm_r - yes I did run utilities, disc utilities, hard drive, verify disc and Repair Permissions and it did it's thing and hopefully all is well. It hasn't affected the problem with MAIL though. That is still - a problem but not of course a serious one. :)

pm-r
Feb 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
OK, but with the permissions hopefully all repaired, maybe try the account changes again that I mentioned in post #4.

Are all the accounts behaving the same way?? All Telus and gmail accounts??

I guess you could always try setting up a new admin "TestUser" user account and then log in to it and setup one of the non-deleting working accounts and see what happens and if things work as expected.

pm-r
Feb 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hey, I did say I'm not a usual Mail user but I did discover a possible solution that worked with my Intel iMac and 10.5.8 with a shaw POP account, if nothing else works for your account options, but maybe you knew this already:

In the Mail window, right-click the Inbox or on one of the accounts with the disclosure triangle opened and select 'Get Account Info' in the contextual menu and an 'Account Info' window will open with the selected account showing (also selectable for any other accounts) and all the messages on the server will be listed.

Then a command+A to select all or use the shift or control key selection methods to select and then click the 'Remove from Server' button at the bottom.

Poof, gone from the server.

krs
Feb 13th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I have two Google a/c's and a Telus account set up in MAIL on my Macbook. I would like the messages to be deleted from the server once I have downloaded them to MAIL. I have checked the box "remove copy from server after retrieving message" and set it for right away but the messages are still sitting in the server and I am having to go in periodically to clean them out. Am I misunderstanding something? Is there something else I must do? Thanks!

I wonder if the problem is on the Google and/or Telus server side.

I use Apple Mail on every Mac in the family, total of 10 running anything between Tiger and Snow Leopard.
Apple Mail is set up to delete mail on the server after one week and that has been working fine on all Macs since day one.

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I did notice on some other support sites that some Mail users had success getting the downloaded messages to actully get deleted from the server automatically if they changed the 'Right Away' in the associated accounts advanced settings to 'One Day' or later.

Another option for the OP to try???