: How To Recover G4 PowerPC Desktop Internal hard drive and make it into an external HD

MarvelintheSky
Feb 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hello all!

I have an ol'Mac PowerPC dual processor G4 (mirror-drive doors) that refuses to power up. I have replaced that little battery so others tell me it is probably the power supply or the logic board and it'll be around $200 to get the part replaced.

I loved the computer, but it is old, and I have come to ask for details in removing the internal hard drive and making it an external hard drive (this means I loose all the programs but not the program files?). And then, if this is a good way to proceed because I do need all those document/graphic/audio/video files and not necessarily the programs, and the old internal hard drive gets put in a case and becomes an external hard drive... what kind of computer will read the drive? Only a g4 mac or can windows open and read those files (in association with an appropriate program)?

Thank you so much for your help... this is a time when I need specifics to make sure all is compatible! (also, I've reviewed this post https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/84519-imac-g4-hard-drive-recovery.html)

Lichen Software
Feb 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
You can see the specs for your machine including hard drive type here:
Power Macintosh G4 1.25 DP (MDD) Specs (Mirrored Drive Doors, M8573LL/A, PowerMac3,6, M8570, 1914) @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd.html)

Getting the hard drive out of this machine is easy. The side flips down to give you access to the drive bays.

You need an enclosure that matches you hard drive type. It may connect to your other machines by USB or FireWire. USB only cases are much cheaper. Installing the drive in the enclosure is easy. It will have instructions with it.

If the drive is good, you should lose nothing.

1. The programs may or may not work on another machine. It depends if that machine is running a compatible operating system.

2. Your data should be fine

3. I think for most machines (I stand to be corrected) you would require a firewire enclosure to make the drive a boot or startup drive.

4. You would be looking for a 3 1/2 inch drive enclosure, not a 2 1/2 inch drive enclosure. 2 1/2 inch drives are found in laptops.

MarvelintheSky
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thank you much!

I have an external hard drive right now and I had to format it a certain way so that both my mac and my pc could access the information which made me worried about making the G4 internal hard drive an external hard drive if it couldn't be accessed by a window machine after that.

I appreciate the response and your time!

Lichen Software
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you much!

I have an external hard drive right now and I had to format it a certain way so that both my mac and my pc could access the information which made me worried about making the G4 internal hard drive an external hard drive if it couldn't be accessed by a window machine after that.

I appreciate the response and your time!

That drive is currently formatted so the mac can read it. If you put it in an external enclosure and hook it up to a Mac, it will be readable. I stand to be corrected, but I do not think if you hook it up to a PC that it will be readable.

If you were reading it on the PC via file sharing before, the Mac was acting as an intermediary to allow the PC to read the files.

pm-r
Feb 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
All you'll need is an internal Ultra ATA/100 or PATA connection with the external case such as those at:

CanadaRAM sells Desktop IDE Hard Drive Enclosure, IDE External Hard Drives, Hard Drive, HDD (http://www.canadaram.com/3_5_ide_enclosures.htm)

They can come with USB and and various Firewire speed ports or a combo of these external ports.

Even the drive's APM (partition map) will work with even the latest Intel Mac model.

CanadaRAM
Feb 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Once you have the drive in a case, you can copy the data to another Mac machine's drive, then reformat the drive to FAT32 (MS-DOS) and put back on it whatever data you want to share with PCs.

MarvelintheSky
Feb 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I was indeed wondering if I could simply borrow a mac from a roommate to move files to a different FAT32 hard drive I already use for backup.

I can really format the Ultra ATA/100 (once it is cleared of it's old contents) to a FAT32?

Thanks a bunch fellows!

pm-r
Feb 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hello all!

I have an ol'Mac PowerPC dual processor G4 (mirror-drive doors) that refuses to power up. I have replaced that little battery so others tell me it is probably the power supply or the logic board and it'll be around $200 to get the part replaced.
... ...

Just a thought, but I wonder if the G4 is really truly dead??

Especially when replacing a dead PRAM battery they can appear to be dead and the CUDA or PMU switch needs to be used to reset the controller, and you'll find the directions at:
Resetting Cuda/PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3 (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939)