: Router for wireless modem, from Cradlepoint -Any experience?

Dr T
Jan 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
The setup:
- a number of recent-vintage Macintoshes (iMac and MacBook Pro), located in the home and in some outbuildings.
- sole internet connection is a Sierra 598 wireless modem with Telus, which must be shared amongst the various computers
- no prospect of Telus landline, or Shaw cable connection in this location.

At present, the wireless modem is shared by taking it from one room or building to another and plugging it in to a particular computer.

Telus claims that this is the only way to use the modem - connected to one computer at a time.

But I see from the Apple Canada online store that an outfit called Cradlepoint in the U.S. has a range of wireless routers that they claim can be connected to a wireless modem such as the Sierra 598, and that it would then be possible to access the internet from all locations simultaneously.

The price range is USD 80 to 350, plus applicable shipping, taxes etc etc. From my point of view, the price is not a significant factor. Apple Canada sells only one of the 10 Cradlepoint models, the CTR 500, for $ 230 plus taxes, and it's one mainly intended for portable use.

My first set of questions for this forum:
Does anybody here have personal experience with any of the Cradlepoint models? Is it reliable enough to consider buying?
Or are there other outfits that make such products that you have experience with?

If the answers to any of the above are yes, I'd like to ask a few other questions, mainly to identify which model would suit the setup as described.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pcronin
Jan 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Telus claims that this is the only way to use the modem - connected to one computer at a time.

I know that Rogers/Bell used to claim this too.. that only one computer at a time connected, you have to reboot the modem and the new computer etc. I don't have direct experience with the Telus setup, but if it is like the old dsl/cable modems you should be able to just plug in any off the shelf linksys/dlink/whoever wifi router and the modem should register it as the "PC". If that fails, most of the the routers will allow mac address spoofing so the modem would think that one of the computers.

Dr T
Jan 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I know that Rogers/Bell used to claim this too.. that only one computer at a time connected, you have to reboot the modem and the new computer etc. I don't have direct experience with the Telus setup, but if it is like the old dsl/cable modems you should be able to just plug in any off the shelf linksys/dlink/whoever wifi router and the modem should register it as the "PC". If that fails, most of the the routers will allow mac address spoofing so the modem would think that one of the computers.

Thanks for this. I'd like to edit your reply down to focus on the most salient questions I have , but I am clearly out of my depth here, and I can't focus on, respond to, or act on most of what you say, because I understand very little of it. I have no router experience, and I do not know the jargon. I guess I was just hoping to spend my way to a favourable conclusion. Do you think I will get any positive response to my original post?

jimbotelecom
Jan 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
The Cradlepoint will accept 3g USB modem (it's supported in their spec sheets), although I have my doubts about its wifi reach into outbuildings.
I would be inclined to purchase the least Cradlepoint and then extend the wifi signal into your critical spots using a number of Apple Airport expresses.

Lawrence
Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Talking about connections to out buildings, I saw this idea

DHP-307AV POWERLINE AV NETWORK STARTER KIT (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DHP-307AV)

Might be a solution for building to building if they are on the same electrical system.

It's available at "The Source" shipping date is in Feb. 2011, So it must be fairly new.

pcronin
Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Personally I'd stay away from the power line adapters. Though it may end up being an only option. I hadn't looked at what kind of modem you had before, I had thought it was a stand alone box, not the direcet USB dongle that you have.

If you turn on the iMac's connection sharing and the outbuilding computer (or main house) can see the network, I'd suggest just leaving the Sierra in the iMac and using the connection sharing built in.

Try following this howto Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Sharing your Internet connection (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=mac/10.5/en/8156.html) and instead of "ethernet" you'd see the Sierra to choose "share from" and choose "Airport" on the "Share to"

Other than that, the Cradlepoint I see on the Apple store looks good.