Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

outlook 2011 for mac - worst app ever

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  iMatt 
#1 ·
I have installed now 6 office 2011 business versions on 6 different computers and clients..
did all the updates - all of the client who have called to tell me outlook exchange client has crashes - over 8 times within an 10 min span.

worst program ever made.. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves..
two of the clients we have even spend over thousands in to the tens of thousands updating the servers to the latest versions of exchange and same thing...

everything works with apple mail or entourage 2008 - but not outlook 2011.

only way I get it to work somewhat stable is set it up as an imap client but then you lose calendaring and addressbook...

I was wondering if any one else had any luck???
:mad:

#3 ·
No, we have used on 10.6.4,10.6.5 same horrible problems..
I guess 10.6.6 problem is a new issue that MS will refuse to fix in a timely fashion..
it blows my mind that a company will release a 'flagship' software title with so many bugs..
it was far from 'market ready'

#4 ·
Office 2011 was really surprising to me in many ways. All this time I'd been sticking with Office v. X (ten-year-old software) despite its many flaws. They were familiar flaws, I had my workarounds and mental "must remember to do" and "don't do that" lists. But the growing number of .docx files in my inbox finally made me give up. (Yes, I could convert them easily enough, but often at the cost of proper formatting, and no, I don't think iWork is right for me.)

So what did Word 2011 turn out to be? Virtually identical to its 10-year-old predecessor in countless ways, with some refreshed features, some new annoyances, some *removed* features (a first for MS?). For the most part it's the exact same program with a new overlay of eye "candy" (is it still candy if it's ugly?), and a completely botched search-and-replace interface. I actually appreciate the fact that most menu items are in the same place and most features work more or less the same way, but breaking stuff that worked fine a decade ago? A bad joke.

But at least .docx files open properly.

#5 ·
Sorry but there are TWO problems here: the client settings and the person that deployed the applications and setup the clients = you.

Are you using Cached mode or not?
Are you using OWA settings or not?
where all OS X updates installed FIRST before OSX?
Where there any customizations to iSync prior to installation that suit end users (this would cause a FEW issues with Office 2011).

Sorry but I've installed the COMPLETE Enterprise suit of Office 2011 using Cached Mode with OWA settings (I'm outside of work domain/lan & outside of VPN connection - Mac is NOT joined to domain) and I've had NO ISSUES at ALL using it = 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 updated AFTER installation.

The ONLY issue I've ever had was: not being able to sync data with my BlackBerry Bold 9700/Storm 2/9800/9780 - which is an issue with Microsoft not RIM; only Contacts can be sync'd which I'll avoid until ALL PIM sync is supported.

Word 2011 is VERY powerful - beyond just eye candy and the compatibility is SOLID. You guys knock everything Microsoft has ... without realizing that twice Apple's very success/survival depended on it. 1984 Mac & 1999/2000 investment. Just what short-comings are you guys talking about?

#6 ·
I get a FEELING that different PEOPLE have different EXPERIENCES with this PRODUCT, which makes your STORY not worth SHOUTING about using CAPS so much.

#17 ·
Control + H = nothing happens
Command + H = Hide
Command + shift + H (the old F&R command) = new-style F&R.

Unless I'm missing something, it simply can't be invoked with a keystroke, even via Tools > Customize Keyboard...

And in any case, the "advanced find and replace" dialog looks the same but lacks the "all open documents" option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.