: Embarrassing Issue

lookitsmarc
Dec 24th, 2010, 08:53 AM
When you're setting up a Mac for new Mac users, anything that makes the OS look bad doesn't help when convincing them that OSX is a superior operating system. Well today they clicked on iTunes in the dock, and it just bounced and bounced and said it wasn't responding (on a 4 day old Mac). After force quitting, and trying again, FINDER suddenly was not responding (icons on desktop disappeared). Then the spinning beachball just took over. Going to Restart had no effect, and the only thing that could be done it seemed was a hard restart.

Needless to say, it doesn't make mac look good. Any suggestions on what I should be looking into to determine the cause of this problem or what I should do should it occur again?

Dadi_oh
Dec 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
When you're setting up a Mac for new Mac users, anything that makes the OS look bad doesn't help when convincing them that OSX is a superior operating system. Well today they clicked on iTunes in the dock, and it just bounced and bounced and said it wasn't responding (on a 4 day old Mac). After force quitting, and trying again, FINDER suddenly was not responding (icons on desktop disappeared). Then the spinning beachball just took over. Going to Restart had no effect, and the only thing that could be done it seemed was a hard restart.

Needless to say, it doesn't make mac look good. Any suggestions on what I should be looking into to determine the cause of this problem or what I should do should it occur again?

Check the console?

I have, on a few rare occasions, had an application crash like this. Maybe every couple of months. sometimes it just happens... Much much less than my Windoze machines though.

Macified
Dec 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I once received a new iMac at a clients office (since I wasn't at home for the delivery). Everyone wanted to check out the fancy new thing so I plugged it in. After pressing the power button I turned around to do some other work. A couple of moments later I hear the Mac reading an error message. With all these gawkers hanging around the Mac says "It's not my fault. An error has occurred...". They all had a good laugh at the toy. After a quick reset key combination though the system fired up fast and was connected to the internet via the office network (took under two minutes). Nobody was laughing any more.

mgmitchell
Dec 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I hear (read) these issues happening around these forums, and I wonder if I've simply been sprinkled with angel dust since I bought my first MB three years ago. Never had an issue with anything - no install, no crashing, nothing with any iTunes updates or OSX updates or iLife updates, etc. Am I just lucky? Of course, I've now jinxed myself, and the minute I hit 'post', the Mac will blow up in my face! (Hope not.)

eMacMan
Dec 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I hear (read) these issues happening around these forums, and I wonder if I've simply been sprinkled with angel dust since I bought my first MB three years ago. Never had an issue with anything - no install, no crashing, nothing with any iTunes updates or OSX updates or iLife updates, etc. Am I just lucky? Of course, I've now jinxed myself, and the minute I hit 'post', the Mac will blow up in my face! (Hope not.)

When I worked in the schools very few machines had any problems, the ones that did seemed to be ongoing. I recall one iBook which had several logic boards replaced.

Chris
Dec 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Although very reliable, Macs are, after all, just pieces of technology (sexy and desirable though they may be). This means that there will inevitably be some that have problems. It's embarrassing for us Mac enthusiasts when it happens, but happen they will. Fortunately, problems are the exception rather than the rule.

pcronin
Dec 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
It's not any different than takeing out a brand new HP or Dell and having a bad stick of memory or a bum hard drive.

monokitty
Dec 24th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Unless it happens again, it's likely a non-issue; single isolated incident. If it continues to happen, the unit may have serious problems.