Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

iPad 2 to be here soon?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pcronin 
#1 ·
#6 ·
mgl, FWIW, you can add tabbed browsing for less than $2 using by using iCab Mobile.

There is also a hardware orientation lock when you double-click the home button and side-scroll left. Perhaps you missed it?

AirPrint works fine on my non-supported printers after running the hack, which presumably will be added to the next iOS/OS X release.

I agree that Apple could do something MUCH better with the home screen.

#7 ·
mgl,

Getting AirPrint up and running on printers takes a grand total of about 2 minutes with the Hacktivate software. No need to even jailbreak your iPad even.

#8 ·
I can only surmise that Apple didn't allow printing to other printers for a performance reason. I know there are hacks available to print from the iPad, but that's not going to help our technology-impaired family and friends unless we want to set up every distant relation personally.

With regard to the double click Home and then side swipe and then click orientation lock, that's hardly accessible. Counting a drag operation as 2, that's a 5-unit task to perform what was previously accessible at all times. What I've proposed is adding orientation lock to the app tray, which would be a 2-unit task (press Home and click lock). That would be a good balance between the ultimate control via hardware and accessibility.

I think Apple was right to leave tabbed browsing off the ipad. Tabs take up too much space and in portrait mode there isn't enough width for them. But given this limitation, Apple can make the browsing experience more usable as I've suggested by not re-rendering the previous page when you click back. There are several reasons why people open a new tab, but one of the most important reasons is to avoid having to go back which entails re-rendering. But if going back was immediate, there wouldn't be this penalty holding you back (ouch, pun!) from going back.

#9 ·
AirPrint is going to be enabled for all printers in the future. There was obviously a last minute flaw that prevented them from rolling it out for everybody.

Admittedly, I used to use the physical orientation lock but honestly, it hasn't bothered me one bit since they turned it into a mute. I haven't used it as a mute either for that matter.

I don't think you will get the browsing experience you're looking for on this hardware and perhaps not the next. Keep in mind the iPad has 256MB of RAM. A browser on a desktop machine- tabs or not- can easily consume 1GB of RAM by itself, not to mention that required by the overhead of the OS.

#10 ·
I think the iPad needs a wind up crank on the back to recharge the battery,
Then when you are traveling where there is no way to plug it in...You can just turn the
crank for a minute or so to charge the battery for every 10 minutes of use.

A fold out solar power panel would be handy too.

:)

#13 ·
Will be announced in late January, ship either March or April in the US, May or June in Europe, and possibly next xmas in Canada, the great white 3rd world ;)(or white headed step child if you prefer ;) )

While I do like the look and feel of the aluminium casing, I wish they would switch it to a plastic or carbon fibre compound. Even in my big "played bass for 10 years" hands it feels heavy :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.