: Disastrous attempt at White iPhone 4 transplant

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Had all my parts ready to go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/kloan/white1.jpg?t=1289434306

Everything was going great, had it stripped down to the screen, removed the screen and installed the white screen (though compared to the original, this didn't go in smoothly, there was resistance on every corner and side), and that's when I noticed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/kloan/white2.jpg?t=1289434331

So obviously I couldn't leave it like that, so I removed the screen. I tried to see what was causing it to bend like that, put the tiniest bit of pressure right in the middle where the bend was to see if it could be pressed in, SNAP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/kloan/white3.jpg?t=1289434360

So now 2 stress-filled hours later, my phone's back together with the original parts, without a warranty, and I'm not very happy about it.

For anyone considering attempting this themselves, the dock connector swap is very tricky, as is the home button. Be very, very careful at removing the button's clicker, as it's a sticker and the button assembly can come apart from the sticker part of it. Luckily I could stick mine back together. The dock connector has a super small cable that connects to it that's quite difficult to plug back in.

I decided to skip the headphone port altogether, as there are a ton of tiny little ribbon cables attached to it and considering you can barely see the white anyway, it wasn't worth the trouble. Glad I skipped it considering the disastrous outcome with the screen.

Anyhoo... that was my adventure this afternoon.

I'm counting on the seller to replace this broken screen, and I suppose I'll attempt this again when I get the new part. With only one little rubber thingy that I have no idea where it came from, I consider this an otherwise successful re-assembly. Tested all functions and everything seems to be fine.

Macified
Nov 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM
So now 2 stress-filled hours later, my phone's back together with the original parts, without a warranty, and I'm not very happy about it.

I'm counting on the seller to replace this broken screen, and I suppose I'll attempt this again when I get the new part.

Dude, consider yourself lucky. You could have spent a stress filled 2 hours and ended up with a dead iPhone without warranty. If you are going to try this kind of stuff, you should not complain about no longer having a warranty.

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Dude, consider yourself lucky. You could have spent a stress filled 2 hours and ended up with a dead iPhone without warranty. If you are going to try this kind of stuff, you should not complain about no longer having a warranty.
I didn't word it right, I was saying I'm not happy about the whole thing, not just that my warranty is void.

I'm more or less just annoyed that after everything, I'm back where I started. I could have not performed the swap, and kept my warranty in tact. I accept that I void my warranty when I do stuff like this, but that's usually at the expense of having a kickass outcome.

Guess I'm just bummed it didn't work out. The seller's trying to screw me over now as well, which sucks. The screen alone cost me $170 (I paid for express shipping). What a waste of money.

Macified
Nov 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that sucks. Sorry if I sounded harsh. I was more trying to point out the positive of not having a dead iphone.

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, that sucks. Sorry if I sounded harsh. I was more trying to point out the positive of not having a dead iphone.

Heh, yeah that is a positive. I was actually worried I did kill my phone, because right at the end when I had connected the battery cable, I realized I had to put this little black metal thing on top, not below, of the connector. I went to pry up the connector again, but used the metal screwdriver instead of the pry tool and cause a little spark.

Very luckily, nothing was shorted and I was able to get my phone back to normal. I would be a heck of a lot more bummed if it was broken...

Oh well, lessons learned.

pcronin
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ouch.. I was worried about that when I took my HD out of my imac to run spinrite on it. I am about to feel like that again on my 2nd tear down of the imac in order to replace the HD and add more ram... :)

glad you at least got it back to original.. is there any kind of assistance from the folks you bought the parts from?

Rounder
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Oh man, I've been debating getting the kit to transform mine into a White iPhone as well... I've been very hesitate because it doesn't look easy at all. Looking at those pictures I can only imagine how frustrated you must be and what happened is exactly why I haven't gotten the parts, I'm afraid that I would F it up.

At least you very lucky that with it's original parts everything is back to normal. Sorry about it not working out though...

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Honestly, aside from the different screw sizes, it's pretty straightforward. The problem I had is my memory isn't very good, and I spent a good amount of time messing around with the fitment of the replacement screen, trying to get it to work, so by the time I had to put everything back together again, I had forgotten a couple steps.

Overall though, I would still rate this as 'difficult'. :)

glad you at least got it back to original.. is there any kind of assistance from the folks you bought the parts from?
None. In fact, the seller tried to trick me into canceling the transaction (which would have negated the Paypal dispute I opened up). It's in Paypal's hands now. I hope they do the right thing in my case and rule in my favor. I wanted to upload that picture of the fitment for the dispute, but the option wasn't available for some reason.

pcronin
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Honestly, aside from the different screw sizes, it's pretty straightforward. The problem I had is my memory isn't very good, and I spent a good amount of time messing around with the fitment of the replacement screen, trying to get it to work, so by the time I had to put everything back together again, I had forgotten a couple steps.

Overall though, I would still rate this as 'difficult'. :)

None. In fact, the seller tried to trick me into canceling the transaction (which would have negated the Paypal dispute I opened up). It's in Paypal's hands now. I hope they do the right thing in my case and rule in my favor. I wanted to upload that picture of the fitment for the dispute, but the option wasn't available for some reason.

Well I wish you luck, though it seems to be your "fault" sad to say :(
Unless you can sway them that the kit was defective some how...

A question about the kit, does it seem like you could separate the white part (or black) to say, paint it blue? ;)

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well I wish you luck, though it seems to be your "fault" sad to say :(
Unless you can sway them that the kit was defective some how...

A question about the kit, does it seem like you could separate the white part (or black) to say, paint it blue? ;)

How is this my fault? You can clearly see in the picture I posted that it was defective from the start. These screens aren't supposed to have bends in them. :confused:

The fact that it broke when I was examining it is beside the point. For all I know, that bend compromised the integrity of the glass, and the slight pressure I exerted on the plastic frame was all that was needed to exploit it.

Bottom line is I was sent a defective, low quality part.

To answer your question, the glass is colored, you can't separate the white from the glass.

John Clay
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm counting on the seller to replace this broken screen, and I suppose I'll attempt this again when I get the new part. With only one little rubber thingy that I have no idea where it came from, I consider this an otherwise successful re-assembly. Tested all functions and everything seems to be fine.

You're counting on the seller to replace a part that you broke? You're kidding, right?

Regardless if it was defective when you got it, you still broke it during installation. No seller/store would honor the warranty on a broken, but originally defective, product.

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
You're counting on the seller to replace a part that you broke? You're kidding, right?

Regardless if it was defective when you got it, you still broke it during installation. No seller/store would honor the warranty on a broken, but originally defective, product.

It broke because it was defective. I see a difference, you may not.

pcronin
Nov 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
How is this my fault? You can clearly see in the picture I posted that it was defective from the start. These screens aren't supposed to have bends in them. :confused:

The fact that it broke when I was examining it is beside the point. For all I know, that bend compromised the integrity of the glass, and the slight pressure I exerted on the plastic frame was all that was needed to exploit it.

Bottom line is I was sent a defective, low quality part.

Was just saying the company will claim you broke it, that's all. wasn't trying to imply you did or didn't.

To answer your question, the glass is colored, you can't separate the white from the glass.

nuts.. thanks for the info. Might have to order a set to see if there's any way to strip the paint without hurting the electronics. I suppose if there's *any* way to do it colorware or someone would have it listed by now..
ColorWare - iPhone 4 (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-236-iphone-4.aspx)
and since it's only the back, the button and the antennae.. I guess not :(

RunTheWorldOnMac
Nov 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'll admit that had the transplant worked successfully the end result would have been cool but I just don't get why people are ready o sell their first born for a white iPhone. I find white lacks the sexiness required in a cell phone. :rolleyes:

kloan
Nov 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Was just saying the company will claim you broke it, that's all. wasn't trying to imply you did or didn't.

nuts.. thanks for the info. Might have to order a set to see if there's any way to strip the paint without hurting the electronics. I suppose if there's *any* way to do it colorware or someone would have it listed by now..
ColorWare - iPhone 4 (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-236-iphone-4.aspx)
and since it's only the back, the button and the antennae.. I guess not :(

Oh, I see.. well in any case I'm likely screwed out of $170, and pretty much $300 down the drain, unless I decide to buy another screen (which I don't really feel like doing). Pretty crappy feeling.

Upon closer inspection, it appears as though the glass is actually clear, and it's the white plastic behind it fused together. Problem is, there's nothing you can do with the plastic. If you were to try to peel or pry it off, you'd likely end up breaking something, since these parts really don't seem to be very strong, even OEM parts (aftermarket being worse).

There are different color backs you can get now, which are super easy to install, but so far there only seems to be white aftermarket fronts.

SINC
Nov 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'll admit that had the transplant worked successfully the end result would have been cool but I just don't get why people are ready o sell their first born for a white iPhone. I find white lacks the sexiness required in a cell phone. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that statement, I don't get it either. My 34-year-old son got a white iPhone a while back and his buddies now tease him about his "girly" phone. :)

andreww
Nov 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hey, I like the gamble Kloan took on this one. If it had (or will) work successfully, he would have one very unique and valuable phone. I still question his wisdom for doing the transplant himself however. The problem with doing something like this is that despite what the sellers says, these are likely not genuine apple parts. I've replaced casebacks on 3G phones before, and these Chinese parts are always slightly different. You really have to wrestle with the fit sometimes, sanding down edges slightly, to make things work. There is really no room for error on these things, the fit is that tight. I switched my wife's black 3G to white last summer, and after replacing all the switches and jacks, I got it all back together. Everything looked great, but the home button wouldn't work. Tried reinstalling countless times with no luck. Bought another, and still no luck. Finally took it to iRepex where the fixed the problem for me. Seems that the new caseback just didn't fit quite right and wasn't putting enough pressure between the button and the board below it.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and any major mods like that will go to iRepex.

dona83
Nov 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm with you on that statement, I don't get it either. My 34-year-old son got a white iPhone a while back and his buddies now tease him about his "girly" phone. :)

I wouldn't tease your son, my momma told me if I have nothing good to say don't say it at all... that is all.

:)

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes though. I attempted to changed my own battery in a Palm Zire 72 and wrecked the camera in the process.

monokitty
Nov 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
People hate black iPhones enough to attempt this, eh?

andreww
Nov 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Black simply shows to many fingerprints. White looks great, especially in the summer, but I can't say I was ever a big fan of the white on the front of the iPhone 4.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Nov 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM

ha ha ha.. that is awesome!

Rounder
Nov 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I don't really get what's girly about it? It's white, big deal. People can tease all they want I wouldn't care! I had a white 3GS so what's the big deal? I never realized that white = girly lol. :D

steviewhy
Nov 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
sudo rm -rf /

SINC
Nov 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I don't really get what's girly about it? It's white, big deal. People can tease all they want I wouldn't care! I had a white 3GS so what's the big deal? I never realized that white = girly lol. :D

I switched my wife's black 3G to white last summer, and after replacing all the switches and jacks, I got it all back together. Everything looked great,

I rest my case. :D

cap10subtext
Nov 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Agreed. I wanted a white 3G and the clerk actually told me that was a girls phone. This was more than just a little stupid as it guaranteed I'd be buying the more expensive phone. I just walked away disgusted. Also had the same experience with trying to buy a mirrored screen protector. If this is some sales tactic I'm not aware of, it has to end. Lose the stupid and sexist comments thanks. I'm never buying from those stores again. They should be up-selling me barbie clothes for my phone dammit! :lmao:

If my friends tease me about stuff like (which they don't), I couldn't care less. But if someone actually thinks they've got me pegged by the style of my phone? Prepare yourself for a shock. And potentially a trip to the dentist.

Rounder
Nov 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Agreed. I wanted a white 3G and the clerk actually told me that was a girls phone. This was more than just a little stupid as it guaranteed I'd be buying the more expensive phone. I just walked away disgusted. Also had the same experience with trying to buy a mirrored screen protector. If this is some sales tactic I'm not aware of, it has to end. Lose the stupid and sexist comments thanks. I'm never buying from those stores again. They should be up-selling me barbie clothes for my phone dammit! :lmao:

If my friends tease me about stuff like (which they don't), I couldn't care less. But if someone actually thinks they've got me pegged by the style of my phone? Prepare yourself for a shock. And potentially a trip to the dentist.

LOL I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I still want to get the parts for the white, but given that in less than 8 months, I'll most likely be getting the new iPhone... not really a point to it, but who knows, I may get bored one of these days and order it :)

jeepguy
Nov 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM

that reminds me of my wife saying to a guy on a scooter "would you mind crossing your legs your panties are showing" , she rides a ninja.

kloan
Nov 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
that reminds me of my wife saying to a guy on a scooter "would you mind crossing your legs your panties are showing" , she rides a ninja.

lmao.. :lmao: